Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few Questions About the Compensator Nut

Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Few Questions About the Compensator Nut

Due to some noise that I'm hearing in my primary, I want to check the "compensator nut" that I've read about so many times on the forums. But in looking at the service manual, I don't see a "compensator nut" at all. What I DO see is a "compensating bolt". It looks like it's what holds a sprocket on the flywheel. Is that what everyone is referring to? I ask because it is obviously not a "nut" at all, but rather a bolt.

Also, when you tighten it, how do you lock the sprockets in place so they won't move. I see that HD has a special tool for it, but what about a homemade solution?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

it is a nut. bolts are male nuts are female and the comp nut might look like a bolt to some but is really a nut LOL. it is seasy to make your own tool with a piece of 1" flat stock.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Here's what I'm referring to in the service manual...

Looks like a bolt to me.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,825 Likes on 8,403 Posts

Actually, you can make the locking tool out of a piece of 2X4 wood.
The compensator nut is just that. It's about 2 1/2" long and is threaded on the inside.
When ya use the tool to lock the sproket, be you DO NOT have it wedged UNDER the sprocket. You can damage your chain tensioner pad. When tightening the nut, read the manual real close about the proper torque and then the additional turn.
When the nut is properly tightened, check it real close to be sure it is seated properly and does not touch the inside of the outer primary cover.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:25 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Actually, you can make the locking tool out of a piece of 2X4 wood.
The compensator nut is just that. It's about 2 1/2" long and is threaded on the inside.
When ya use the tool to lock the sproket, be you DO NOT have it wedged UNDER the sprocket. You can damage your chain tensioner pad. When tightening the nut, read the manual real close about the proper torque and then the additional turn.
When the nut is properly tightened, check it real close to be sure it is seated properly and does not touch the inside of the outer primary cover.

Ok, but again, I don't see a NUT anywhere in the illustrations.

What I see is a BOLT, as illustrated in post #3 (item #6 on the illustration). This is very different from what everyone always says about tightening the compensator NUT.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:30 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

earlier models used a large Nut about 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter ...........the late model compensators such as yours have been redisgned an uses a BOLT to hold the compensator on.....the photo in the manual is correct....be sure and follow all of the tightening procedures to insure a proper torque.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by twincam47
earlier models used a large Nut about 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter ...........the late model compensators such as yours have been redisgned an uses a BOLT to hold the compensator on.....the photo in the manual is correct....be sure and follow all of the tightening procedures to insure a proper torque.

Cool, thanks twincam47! A quick question, if you know... Is it common for the redesigned compensators to come loose too? Or are most of the reports of "loose compensator nuts" from the previous versions?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Cool, thanks twincam47! A quick question, if you know... Is it common for the redesigned compensators to come loose too? Or are most of the reports of "loose compensator nuts" from the previous versions?

Does anyone know?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Most reports are from previous years, but it has happened on a few newer ones.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

if you have done any upgrade to your engine, ie 103ci or se255 cams, you will find that the stock compensator may no longer be stout enough for your engine. I ran into this on my '07 Ultra after the above mentioned upgrade. Had the stock compensator replaced, did no good. Mine was causing serious starting issues like the starter was stripping out the gears. It was not. Solution was an SE compensator install. cured all my problems. It consist of about a dozen pieces rather than about 5 with the stock compensator and does a much better job of keeping the slack out of the primary chain at all times, especially during start up. You might consider the SE compensator upgrade, will probably cure any ailments you seem to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Few Questions About the Compensator Nut