Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny fluid in the primary?

Old 07-03-2006, 12:51 PM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny fluid in the primary?

Though I'm not a huge motor head, I run around with a lot of guys that are. Just about every one of them recomends to run 14oz. of ATF in the primary. I can't recall off the top of my head what H-D calls for, but I know it's a lot more than that. Not to mention something way different than ATF. What they tell me is, that the clutches will last longer because they don't stay saturated all the time with fluid. That they only need enough to splash around and keep them damp, because they are soaked in ATF from the factory before they are shipped out. I've watched em all service bikes and that's what they put in. I've never seen one have any sort of problem, and actually a couple that had clutch problems before, have no problems now. Anyone else heard of such?

Old 07-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tranny fluid in the primary?

I have never heard of anybody putting ATF fluid in their primary. You can easily void your warranty if you start listening to hearsays and those who like to experiment. If you like to prolong your HD, and still be safe under warranty, use synthetic oil instead. The clutches are going to be saturated no matter what you put in the primary.

If your bike is already out of warranty, then I say have fun experimenting. But, I can't imagine ATF fluids can protect your primary better than a good 20w50 synthetic (ie Amsoil) oil.

ORIGINAL: dhutchison

Though I'm not a huge motor head, I run around with a lot of guys that are. Just about every one of them recomends to run 14oz. of ATF in the primary. I can't recall off the top of my head what H-D calls for, but I know it's a lot more than that. Not to mention something way different than ATF. What they tell me is, that the clutches will last longer because they don't stay saturated all the time with fluid. That they only need enough to splash around and keep them damp, because they are soaked in ATF from the factory before they are shipped out. I've watched em all service bikes and that's what they put in. I've never seen one have any sort of problem, and actually a couple that had clutch problems before, have no problems now. Anyone else heard of such?

Old 07-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

clutches need friction...synthetics can cause slippage bc of how slippery it is...i have heard of atf in primarys...inside an automatic tranny there are clutch disks much like on our scoots...it wont hurt IMO...and unless you really have a monster motor, synthetic wont slip either...i use Rotella-T in mine...a diesel oil has no detergents and has very good qualities for clutches

Old 07-03-2006, 10:24 PM
harleytim1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brian, how is your friend that got hurt?

Old 07-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

he had his 3rd surgery today and is gonna have to stay another week for a fourth...wound vac is still in...he's madder'n hell about it now...healin, but slow...its gonna be a long hard road...my other agents have done great so far...i'm on an emotional roller coaster...thanks for asking