Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Knob Locked in Off Position Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Vdogged
Stage IV
Location: Small town about an hours drive north of Toronto Ontario Canada
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition **** Locked in Off Position Help!

Hi all

Just picked up a 2005 Electra Glide Standard. When I got it of the trailer it would not start. Chased the problem to the ignition switch. Obtain new one today and installed it as per manual...when I inserted the ignition **** red arrow aligned to Access position turn the key clockwis to unlock and then **** to off position it locked up and I can't get it free. Any suggestions would help...

Thanks Vdogged...

Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've found that these ignition locks are much like an automobiles.
I've had to turn my bars a little to release the pressure on the locking pin...kind of like you have to turn a steering wheel to get it to unlock.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Skip
Road Captain

As BadPiggy said, try holding the bars all the way to the left. Happens to me every once in awhile.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like the tumblers may be misaligned.

Search for the thread "removing ignition switch instructions" and follow the steps in Post #4 by MassHD. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...h+instructions

Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodchuck
It sounds like the tumblers may be misaligned.

Search for the thread "removing ignition switch instructions" and follow the steps in Post #4 by MassHD. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...h+instructions
+1 what he said..small penlight looking down the hole and a screwdriver ,, make sure the upper and lower portions are aligned..drove me nuts the first couple times

Old 10-30-2009, 10:03 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

ball peen hmmer

Old 10-30-2009, 10:03 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep your new one lubed with a couple of drops of oil at every service

Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Vdogged
Stage IV

Thanks for the input. Here is what happened. The new switch looked a little different than the old one...so I asked the Harley parts guy to give me an new spacer and collar as well. When I compared the old spacer with the new one I noticed the new was slightly thicker, however the parts guy didn't say anything other tell me they are always making modifications and continued with the sale of the parts...thinking that Harley new what they were doing I used it anyways...The problem ended up being the new spacer...it was to big and did not allow the tumbler to move down in the keyway of the collar as required to turn the ****. This was hell on wheels as I had to remove the switch from the bike in the lock position which took a few hours as I difficulty getting to the switch screws. Once I got the switch out of the bike It was pliable enough for me to move the tumbler in the collar and free it from the locked position. I then put the old spacer back on and everything worked fine. I can only believe the new switch did not work with the old **** which I didn't replace because it was an additional 100 bucks...I believe a new **** would be slightly deeper than the old one to compensate for the wider spacer...
Cheers!
Vdogged

Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at this Vid - it may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QBH1SFyzo

Also like someone said pull the bars to the left as you unlock. I had a Road King that got hung up sometimes from the clutch cable binding between the frame and the rubber stopper.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Vdogged
Stage IV

Thanks TP, good video clip. The thing is...I didn't have a problem getting the defective switch out which wasn't making the appropriate contacts to start the bike. It was after I purchased the new switch collar and spacer...when I installed the new switch as I have done before and turned it to the off position as directed in the manual it locked up this is not normal and what became my nightmare. Oh well all fixed know has been for a while I just posted my resolve as I haven't been on the form for sometime and noticed many people offered help / suggestions. Much appreciated this looks like a good form

Cheers!

Vdogged