Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers, what a joke some of them are...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:41 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Dealers, what a joke some of them are...

Rant ON

Bought my 2010 SG a couple months ago. ABS, Security and Cruise. My purchase was a nightmare, even though I got a good deal on a '10. The sales manager and salesman that dealt with me were fired a couple weeks later. Long story, and I'm not bitching about that right now...

I always wondered why I could leave my key fob in the kitchen, the farthest room from my garage, and go start my bike. It's 50' and through walls. I asked the dealer at my 1k service, and they told me that was normal (thank goodness I got the 1k for free, they didn't even adjust my clutch, change the primary oil, and I suspect they didn't change the tranny oil either).

Fast forward to last Saturday. I bought a Smart Siren II and plugged it in. Nothing, nada. Fortunately the service guy at the dealer I bought the siren at decided to look into it for me.

The bike's security system wasn't working. Period. He plugged in the electronic technician, and found that the bike was in "Service Mode" and would start with our without the fob present. Upon further digging, the fobs were not even programmed in the bike. When he enabled the security and pinged the remotes, he got nothing. He figured either the alarm unit was bad, or the remotes both had dead batteries.

It turns out that the batteries in the key fobs had been put in upside down.

When the delivering dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong, they just shut the security system off! Nice!

I not have a functioning security system, and it cost me only a 12-pack of Heineken. The bike can't be started unless I'm within 10 feet. All good now.

It's just unbelievable how incompetent some dealership service departments are.

Rant OFF

Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since I was trailering my bike home, in the snow, the dealer left my bike in service mode so the alarm wouldn't go off every time we hit a bump. But yes, he told me it was in service mode.

So, did they correct the 1K service? Or did you let them get away with doing nothing? How did you find out they didn't change the oils or adj the clutch? If they did none of those things, I'd be hesitant to believe they did anything and redo the 1K myself.

I've heard of dealers being a-holes and such, but not performing a service (whether free or not) is just wrong. It would be my last time at said dealer.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Call the MoCo to have them put another little mark in their book for that stealer.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:53 PM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Man, that sucks out loud. Can't believe they could screw up something up they've done dozens of times before.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:35 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
Since I was trailering my bike home, in the snow, the dealer left my bike in service mode so the alarm wouldn't go off every time we hit a bump. But yes, he told me it was in service mode.

So, did they correct the 1K service? Or did you let them get away with doing nothing? How did you find out they didn't change the oils or adj the clutch? If they did none of those things, I'd be hesitant to believe they did anything and redo the 1K myself.

I've heard of dealers being a-holes and such, but not performing a service (whether free or not) is just wrong. It would be my last time at said dealer.
After all the stuff I went through with the purchase of the bike, like them not paying off my trade-in leaving it in my name, even after they sold my trade, trying to rate-jack me after the deal was done, charging me at full price for parts on my sales contract after promising 20% off, and charging more for the bike than I agreed to, I am not so inclined to deal with them at all any more. Add on top of that that HD Finance said it was not their problem that the dealer didn't pay off my trade-in and it was my responsibility to keep making payments, and I was about to pop!

I dropped the bike off for the 1k without saying anything. They were expecting to get their $475 plus tax. When the bike was done, I had a little conversation with the general manager, and poof! The service was free.

Riding the bike home I kept smelling oil, particularly at high rpm. Got home and checked the oil. I found it to be overfilled. I pumped out 3/4 of a quart to get it to the "full while on side stand" mark!!!

The clutch sucked when I brought it in, and it sucked when I picked it up. It would let out and grab at the end, and chatter if I had a passenger. I bought a HD service manual, some gaskets (from another dealer) and popped open the derby cover.

The oil is filthy and REEKS. The inside of the derby cover had a dark coating of clutch dust all over it. No way it only had a hundred or two miles on it (how long it me to get to opening it up). I adjusted the clutch to 1/2 turn out and a nickel's width at the ferrule. It's pretty good now, but next time I'm in there I'm going 1/4 turn out.

NO WAY is this dealer or any HD service department doing anything but warranty repairs for me. After this experience I just can't trust them. What a bunch of LOSERS there are at my selling dealer!!

The bike has now been refinanced through a reputable company at a much lower interest rate. And I get my $795 gap insurance contract $$ back, since the new bike loan includes it.

Last edited by JCleary; 11-03-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:01 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience is too many incompetent motorcycle mechanics out there.
I did not say all, I said too many ( I had to say that for those who can't read very well).

That's why now I have a garage full of tools, a lift and a service manual. I do all my
maintenace now.

I only know one guy who knows what he is doing , he is awesome, and he was laid off from
a Harley Dealer and they kept the other idiots.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:13 PM
70mach1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink ranting

Be careful ranting on here ,
Theres those who like to rub it in and nothing bothers them at all .
Must be the so called mechanics that no it all ..LOL..
Just a fact not trying to upset anyone .... Ride safe and be careful who you let work on your ride ...

Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I would have lost my cool over the sales experience, let alone the service. Did you say $475 for the 1000 mile service? Holy ****!!!!! That almost makes me feel like my dealer isn't doing something they should be on the 1000 mile. Mine was like $178 with synthetic last year. You are a much calmer guy than I am. at least you ended up getting the service free

Old 11-03-2009, 03:22 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
After all the stuff I went through with the purchase of the bike, like them not paying off my trade-in leaving it in my name, even after they sold my trade, trying to rate-jack me after the deal was done, charging me at full price for parts on my sales contract after promising 20% off, and charging more for the bike than I agreed to, I am not so inclined to deal with them at all any more. Add on top of that that HD Finance said it was not their problem that the dealer didn't pay off my trade-in and it was my responsibility to keep making payments, and I was about to pop!

I dropped the bike off for the 1k without saying anything. They were expecting to get their $475 plus tax. When the bike was done, I had a little conversation with the general manager, and poof! The service was free.

Riding the bike home I kept smelling oil, particularly at high rpm. Got home and checked the oil. I found it to be overfilled. I pumped out 3/4 of a quart to get it to the "full while on side stand" mark!!!

The clutch sucked when I brought it in, and it sucked when I picked it up. It would let out and grab at the end, and chatter if I had a passenger. I bought a HD service manual, some gaskets (from another dealer) and popped open the derby cover.

The oil is filthy and REEKS. The inside of the derby cover had a dark coating of clutch dust all over it. No way it only had a hundred or two miles on it (how long it me to get to opening it up). I adjusted the clutch to 1/2 turn out and a nickel's width at the ferrule. It's pretty good now, but next time I'm in there I'm going 1/4 turn out.

NO WAY is this dealer or any HD service department doing anything but warranty repairs for me. After this experience I just can't trust them. What a bunch of LOSERS there are at my selling dealer!!

The bike has now been refinanced through a reputable company at a much lower interest rate. And I get my $795 gap insurance contract $$ back, since the new bike loan includes it.
Gotta ask you to supply the dealer's name. If they're that bad, then I sure don't want to be out of town and not know who this dealer is and have the bad luck to bring my scoot to them.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:43 PM
tenn.vol.
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

And they wonder why we call them STEALERS ??
I dont use my Harley, Dodge, Jeep or Winnebago stealer !!!
I go INDY for all I can get done there !!!!!!!!!!!
The Indy knows that he is there to sell a service, not a $25.00 Tee.
Took my old evo in last yr. to get a Dyno tune, advertised for $350.
When I left with a sore arss it was less than $1000.00. (GOT ME ONCE)
And the other STEALER is worse...........Tenn.Vol.

Quick Reply: Dealers, what a joke some of them are...