Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gloves vs Grips

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
swlamedic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated Gloves vs Grips

I live in Louisiana, so it doesn't get that cold down here on a regular basis. I take long rides, and some days it gets down to low 30's upper 20's. I have thick gloves, but after an hour of riding, my fingertips get cold, and start to numb. So, my question is this, should I buy heated gloves that plug in, or should I get heated hand grips. Which one works better?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

It depends on who you talk to. Some like grips others the gloves. I personally went with the gloves because they heat my whole hand, not just the palms. Also they were cheaper than heated grips. If you go the glove route, I highly recommend ordering with Gerbing ( who makes HD gloves) but will be cheaper without HD Logo. They also have a life time warranty & I can tell you that they honor that warranty with no questions asked. Great company, excellent products & outstanding customer service.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the heated gloves for 15 years and only had to have one repaired for like the shipping cost. I think for really cold long rides they are worth the trouble of the wires, I have a newer heated jacket with the coax type wire so my gloves won't plug into that so I just run two wires off my battery. I've heard several people that have had problems w the heated grips. Also if you change rides you have your gloves vs buying new grips.

I have the anti-freeze glove linners that Cycle Gear sells and they work great when I don't have to plug in, usually above 40. You may want to try them, like $25 first.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use snowmobile gloves on cold days.
Also heard of some problems with the grip heaters going kaputi.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Heated Gloves are an upgrade that you can take with you when you change bikes.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
thehueg
Cruiser

I live in New England where it is very cold. I find the heated gloves (I own Gerbings) are too hot during the transition in the fall and spring. That's when I use the heated grips which are just enough to remove the chill. When it is really cold, 35 and below, the gloves come on and I can ride for hours without a problem.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

Until my present ride, I used the Gerbing gloves & jacket liner. The good things that everyone says about them is true. Our local HOG group schedules a winter ride to the Gerbing plant each year.

My FLHTK came with heated grips, and I love 'em. They are all I need for most temps; nice to not mess with the wires, and my hands stay warm. I'm also guaranteed at least 2 years of service from the grips. When they fail, past warranty, I'll be back in the gloves. I'm going to take a look at the new microfiber models at the Seattle MC show next month.

To restate, you can't go wrong with Gerbing.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
MiddleAgeCrisis
Intermediate

Heated gloves all the way with a temp controll in line. Keeps the finger tips real toasty unlike the grips. Have heated grips on a couple Beemers, while they are good, the glove are better. Gerbing btw.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by thehueg
I live in New England where it is very cold. I find the heated gloves (I own Gerbings) are too hot during the transition in the fall and spring. That's when I use the heated grips which are just enough to remove the chill. When it is really cold, 35 and below, the gloves come on and I can ride for hours without a problem.
+1 I have HeatDemons installed to heat the grips and I find them much more flexible and usable than gloves but once you get to riding below 30-35 deg then the gloves are better. I find myself using the heated grips much more often than I expected.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
+1 I have HeatDemons installed to heat the grips and I find them much more flexible and usable than gloves but once you get to riding below 30-35 deg then the gloves are better. I find myself using the heated grips much more often than I expected.
Here in the Seattle area, our temps usually don't require the heated gloves, but when it drops into the low 30s or into the 20s, they feel pretty good. I doubt I'd ever have installed the heated grips, but it's nice to have them on the bike, with a factory warranty. If it gets real cold, I have the gloves in the saddlebag, and I can always go to them if needed. I seldom run the grips above the "2" setting -- I can't imagine needing the higher temp settings.

Quick Reply: Heated Gloves vs Grips