Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra -installed detach kit for tour pak - radio does not work

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:05 PM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok....here's what i have checked today:

1. checked all plugs and wires at battery and tank area (under seat) for loose connections or possbile cut wiring by mistake....nothing found.

2. check all wires at back of radio for loose connections....nothing found

3. put tour pak on and hooked up CB and radio antenna's (just like stock) to prove theroy of grounding issue....radio still does not work!

4. all fuses are fine...nothing blown

.....when i started this project radio was fine!

.....after installation of detach kit -lights, turn signals, brake lights, cruise....everything works, radio will not power up.

I guess it is possible i have shorted out my radio....i disconnected battery before cutting any wires.

Harleypingman - only choice i have is to call mfg'er of radio - thanks for the number!!!!

Last edited by soon to be; 11-15-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are still willing to work on the problem, disconnect the Ultra connector on the back of the radio, then see if the radio will turn on or not. The Ultra connector is one of the two 23 position connectors plugged into the radio. The other is the Base Radio Connector and is part of the interconnect harness.

If the radio turns on with the Ultra connector unplugged, then you have an idea of where to look.

Based on the wiring diagrams I've studied on my '04 and my buddy's '06, it seems highly unlikely that anything you did to the passenger wiring would cause the radio not to turn on. The passenger wiring doesn't have anything to do with turning the radio on or off. If you mis-wire something, the effect would be to cause a function not to operate at all or not correctly.

If you wired a positive control wire to a ground wire, you'd probably blow a fuse. Double check the fuses; it's often difficult to see the break without very good light and eye sight.

IIRC, the only ground wire at the rear is in the passenger headset connector; the speaker volume, mode sel, and PTT don't use a common ground.

Hope you sort it out.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:46 PM
soon to be
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
If you are still willing to work on the problem, disconnect the Ultra connector on the back of the radio, then see if the radio will turn on or not. The Ultra connector is one of the two 23 position connectors plugged into the radio. The other is the Base Radio Connector and is part of the interconnect harness.

If the radio turns on with the Ultra connector unplugged, then you have an idea of where to look.

Based on the wiring diagrams I've studied on my '04 and my buddy's '06, it seems highly unlikely that anything you did to the passenger wiring would cause the radio not to turn on. The passenger wiring doesn't have anything to do with turning the radio on or off. If you mis-wire something, the effect would be to cause a function not to operate at all or not correctly.

If you wired a positive control wire to a ground wire, you'd probably blow a fuse. Double check the fuses; it's often difficult to see the break without very good light and eye sight.

IIRC, the only ground wire at the rear is in the passenger headset connector; the speaker volume, mode sel, and PTT don't use a common ground.

Hope you sort it out.
no blown fuse....i have checked with a meter for continuity, i get 12 volts from the fuse when in checking at top of fuse...and to be sure i put a new fuse in.

after studying both the manual and part book, i know exactly which one is the ultra plug....pulled the plug, radio still does not work....

any other ideas - harleypingman!

Last edited by soon to be; 11-15-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Fresh out of ideas except to call Radio Sound in the a.m.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:40 PM
soon to be
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Fresh out of ideas except to call Radio Sound in the a.m.

thanks for all you did to help.....

Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Feel for ya, that's my kind of luck. Hope you get it

Old 11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
soon to be
Road Captain

OK....found the problem....somehow shorted out the ground inside the radio.....fried it! @#$%$#@W

how do i know - during the time i was thinking i had lost my ground somewhere i took my test light, grounded the clip to a bolt on the frame and touched radio case - light came on - this should not have happened!

when i told this to "Radio Supply" (manufacturer of HD radio) he agreed light should not come on....but, becasue it did....it makes figuring out what is wrong easy...he said i blew my ground wiring inside radio!!!!!

How did i do it - well he told me that to - during my unhooking of antenna wires, did i ever roll up and lay down cables in battery area. Answer was yes - i rolled it up and put neatly in the area beside my positive side of my battery....and is very likely the metal on the end of antenna touched the positive side on the battery and killed my ground inside the radio.....talking with this guy sounds like this happens all the time....and yes my battery cables to my bike were unhooked. But i touched positive power to cable end to a radio connected ground, and poof....radio gone!

Now for $200....i send in my radio to them and get a factory fresh - recondiditoned unit - and learned a $200 lesson. I taped my fenders and chrome and didn't cover the battery posts

live and learn!

thanks all who responded - especially harleypingman

Old 11-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Ouch; a $200 ouch. Glad RS was able to help diagnose the problem.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:09 PM
jsimo7
Road Master

Originally Posted by soon to be
do you have an antenna hooked up?

right now i do not!
No antenna for the am/fm radio .. just the sirius antenna

Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Sheldo88
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a detach kit on my 99 and I ran into the same situation. Bought a known good radio and plugged it in and nothing still. Please help!

Quick Reply: Ultra -installed detach kit for tour pak - radio does not work