Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s and s 124 kit good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:53 AM
streetglidecody
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s and s 124 kit good or bad?

Im thinking of installing the 124 inchS&S kit on my 08 streetglide is this a good kit or is there any better?

Old 11-23-2009, 02:23 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good? I think its a great kit. But you still need someone very competent to put it together. You need someone who can machine the cases right and timken the bottom end.

The kit itself is a quality product, the forgings and machining is A grade. I think the S&S heads are among the best around, triple valve springs and quality machining. Gear driven cams are a no brainer for 640 thou lift as are forged roller rockers and forged supports.

Be careful what exhaust you run, it will greatly affect performance. What do you have in mind??

Some photos of the kit:

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...z/Micks124SnS/

My bike ran 12.25 @108 mph with the screen on and the bags on, tools in the bags etc (street trim). We weighed 1050 lb on the weighbridge at scruiteneering. I cant hit her hard in first, she either spins or lifts the front wheel and I cant ride that well, so I feed the throttle in 1st and hit her hard once the clutch is out in second. At that stage I was running the canned map from S&S and since then we done some dyno time have picked up a bunch more torque in the mid range. Still have not got the top end right and she still wants more fuel in the mid range and the VE tables are maxxed out. Once I get some more $$ and some time we will go and chase the top end, but as a street engine it is fine. With some more dyno time there is a 11 second pass there in street trim which is the target.

To ride it is just fantastic. At 80mph in 6th you can just roll on some throttle and pull 110 in no time. Its a totally different cycle.

My bike is my daily ride, so I wanted big grunt every day and the SE kits that keep the flimsy stock crank, chain driven cams and tapered con rods just didnt impress.

I average around 38 mpg, best 43 when ridden real light with the HOG group and worst 34 when belted keeping up with mates on sport bikes. What more could you ask for?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:01 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

the only concern i'd have with the 124 inch motor in the harley cases, is that you gotta remove a lot of metal to accomplish that much bore. had you considered either of the two big Jims motors? the cases are made much thicker to accomodate the added stress of the increased size and power that the big motors can produce. just a thought. the jims motors can be gotten through your harley dealer. google it, lots of info in the jims site. kingX3, that's gotta be one whacko bananas ride, your blue king. bet it's a blast to ride.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:12 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

kingkingking, just went to see the work as your motor was being built. looks like a top quality build going on there. too much $$$ for me, but it's gotta be great. looks like the 58mm throttle body is also a throttle by wire so your cruise still works? awesome job. i'm very envious now. quite impressive, bet it sounds wicked too.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:59 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

I looked at the Jims, read some reviews and they were mixed.

The Jims runs chain driven cams (so I would have changed them to gear) and by the time I fitted the throttle body, AC and pipes it was thousands of $ more than the S&S.

My stealer wasnt interested in supplying the Jims either, and warranty was an issue. Hence the S&S.

With the Timken bottom end the HD cases are supposedly more than tough enough. Time will tell I geuss.

Yup, she runs the SE 58mm throttle body and SE injectors, with SERT. So cruise works just like the 96.

As for the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tj88bFf79Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Ty4VnLXlE

Last edited by kingkingking; 11-23-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

How much does the cost of fitting that kit compare with fitting a new S&S 124 motor?

Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
How much does the cost of fitting that kit compare with fitting a new S&S 124 motor?
Apparently HD sued S&S for copying their case design (or so I was told) so S&S dont offer crate engines for post 2006 bikes. If you check their catalouge they say that there are no engines on offer for post 2006, but they dont say why.

I wanted a crate S&S 124, that would have been the best solution. Pull the 96 and put it in the shed, bolt in the 124 and off we go. Not an option unfortunately, so I had to spend $$$$ on machining and labour.

IF the story about HD sueing S&S is true then that is a true dog act, after all S&S helped HD develop the Evo. Anyhow, HD were probably trying to ensure they sell more SE gear. HD did a deal with Jims and that why you can buy a Jims crate 131 but no other brand.

Last edited by kingkingking; 11-23-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi Kingkingking,

I have an S&S 107 'evo' in my old Glide and am not up to date on the latest models, so thanks for that. I'll be keeping an eye open for big motors now.

Tell us about your 'secret weapon', or is it just a radar detector?

Old 11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
streetglidecody
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the info and help

Old 11-23-2009, 06:15 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone got anything that points to this?

Originally Posted by kingkingking
after all S&S helped HD develop the Evo.
Never heard that before - Regardless I'm sure there would have been contractual limitations as to what S&S could do. I'd always thought S&S liberally ripped off the MoCo once the original patents, limited as they were, expired and that was in no small part why the TC was developed (and patented). Of course Harley wasn't particularly good at managing their IP until maybe 10 or 15 years ago.

Perhaps you mean that S&S developed Evo based innovations that the MoCo introduced during the life of the Evo? That I'd believe.

Last edited by davessworks; 11-23-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: s and s 124 kit good or bad?