Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED kit installed in Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 AM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up LED kit installed in Road Glide

I must say I was a little reluctant to install an LED kit on my bike but my wife had it in her head that it would look nice. After her pestering me for months, I finally broke down and bought me a set.

Just a quick summary....

We were down in Charlotte NC for a swap meet show and there was a tent who sold and installed LED lights. They quoted me around $500 to install the lights on the motor, front and rear wheel. This did not include ground effects. I was like hell no, I'm not spending that kind of money on LEDs.

So, when I got home I checked out ebay and a guy named Florida Joe popped up. I bought his 120 light blue LED kit for around 150.00 shipped to my door. It included:
-2 long strips (L and R side) for the under both sides of the tank-
-2 strips (L and R side) for under the aircleaner and horn.
-2 strips (L and R side) for the front wheel
-2 strips (L and R side) for the rear wheel
-2 long strips (L and R side) for under the frame for ground effects.
-2 remotes with multifunction, box with antenna, fuse line and butt connecters.

I only had to add a little wire for the front wheel LEDs wires. Other than that it was complete. The LED strips are flexible and very durable and I would think it would be damn near impossible to damage them.

A chimpanzee could install these lights. Really, I could have been drunk and blind folded and still would have been able to install these lights. The instructions were about as straight forward as any instruction I have ever seen. I only say this because I am trying to figure out how this should cost anyone $500 with less lights than this kit.

Having said all this, here is a pic and a video of the bike:

Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, may put them on my Christmas wish list if they are that easy to install. Do they all tie together for a single electrical connection>

Old 11-24-2009, 11:59 AM
FunkyNova66
Road Master

Hey Mike, I have always been a huge fan of your avatar.. Now that this is out of the way....

The LEDs don't tie in together as one connection.

This is the kit that I bought off ebay. It should make sense once you read it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/120-L...item5d269409f6

Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM
littlebear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friend of mine here in Kansas put them on his Ultra, cops pulled him over and gave him a warning ticket,,,only blue lights on emergency equip..just say'in

Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master

Originally Posted by littlebear
Friend of mine here in Kansas put them on his Ultra, cops pulled him over and gave him a warning ticket,,,only blue lights on emergency equip..just say'in
Yea...they are illegal here in NC. I'll have to be real selective when I use them (like close to my destination). At least it'll look good when sitting. LOL.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50cm-...Q5fAccessories

These are only $9 total per stick-on strip off ebay. They produce a stunning effect, kind of like a carnival of lights bouncing off the chrome engine. I got 2 strips for the ol ladys sportster and liked them so much i ordered 4 strips for the dyna. You can cut them to length and solder small wires to he leftover pieces if you're sharp with a soldering gun. Run a 2 amp fuse off the fuse block, wire it into a small push button switch. It's a good idea to put connectors on the strips under the tank as someday you might want to remove tank. Can't imagine anyone paying $500 for LED lights.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:38 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master

Originally Posted by truckerdave
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50cm-...Q5fAccessories

These are only $9 total per stick-on strip off ebay. They produce a stunning effect, kind of like a carnival of lights bouncing off the chrome engine. I got 2 strips for the ol ladys sportster and liked them so much i ordered 4 strips for the dyna. You can cut them to length and solder small wires to he leftover pieces if you're sharp with a soldering gun. Run a 2 amp fuse off the fuse block, wire it into a small push button switch. It's a good idea to put connectors on the strips under the tank as someday you might want to remove tank. Can't imagine anyone paying $500 for LED lights.
That is a great price! Can you cut those to different lengths as well? I bet you could go to radio shack and concoct something for a remote box, remote, and fuse line. Yea...$150 was pushing it IMO but $500 is just plain nuts. Hell, Kuryakn has this small kit (what they call the maximus kit) that costs $329! http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...ID/6/IMID/1806 ...and it doesn' have near as many lights as the kit I bought.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:40 PM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good man! Love the bike!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master

Thanks Fripple.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 PM
shredsurf