Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blank check? Huh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WRONG! The % of tax is already set while the registration will only vary slightly. Have them give you an estimate and that is the $$ you use. Any more or any less can be adjusted once the exct $$ is calculated.
DO NOT WRITE A BLANK CHEK!!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:07 AM
marsolais
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok first things first. If you ordered the bike through military sales then it should be tax free. This is how the Aafes dealer has been doing it for years. I don't know if you are in Germany or Iraq or some place else but I have bought a bike through the military sale people and they are all criminals. They tell you it is tax free but as soon as you get the bike back to the states and go to register it you have to pay sales tax at the % of the state you are registering the bike in. They also try to tell you that you cannot sell the bike for a year because you got it at a discounted rate. I asked one of the sales reps how he could tell me I could not sell a bike that I owned out right and he just gave me the "UMMM UMMMM" answer. Then they tell you that you are getting the bike at a discount rate or as they like to call it "At cost". Well when I went to get my 2009 Fat Bob, after everything was said and done it was going to cost my $1500 more then going to the dealer and buying the one I really wanted. That is the other thing. They will tell you they can get the bike you want just to get you started on some paperwork, then all of a sudden the bike you wanted is no longer in the system. I hate the military sales.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:07 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

No way. Never in a million years.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:16 AM
ivel_86
Tourer

DUDE if your military and over sees. YOU DONT PAY TAXES. go to the PX. talk to the "harley guy" and he sends the bike to the state you want. you have no reason to contact the dealer period. and in fact its alot easier to not contact the dealer.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:20 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do that send the blank check to me and I'll hand deliver it for you, but you'll have to give me a credit card for my travel expense. Give me your social security number and birthday, because I'll need it for the paperwork. Then I'll need you bank acount PIN so I can't deposit any left over refunds. You can trust me, I'm a H.O.G. member. ROFLMAO

Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by ivel_86
DUDE if your military and over sees. YOU DONT PAY TAXES. go to the PX. talk to the "harley guy" and he sends the bike to the state you want. you have no reason to contact the dealer period. and in fact its alot easier to not contact the dealer.
thats one of the things that i don't like about military sales. first, the price is not always as great as they like to make it seem, and second, while you don't pay sales tax when you purchase the bike, just wait until you try to put plates on it. the dmv is gonna want a big check. i prefer to roll up the sales tax, etc. with the loan so i'm not laying out that much money up front.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dohadex
I am picking up my new Road King from Heritage H-D in Fort Walton Beach, FL in a few weeks. I ordered it through military sales...and I'm still over seas.
When I asked about the tax and registration, they said to just write them a "blank check" and they will handle it. What? Give an H-D dealer a blank check? Huh? WTF over?
Has anyone had this experieince and is this normal business practice to ask for undetermined funds?

Thanks board...

Dex
I wouldn't give anybody a blank check!! HD should give you a blank check for protecting our freedom!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you Pal! Thanks for serving

Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 AM
troy.j
Road Captain

when you do your financing you can have tax figured in as well as licensing and all that so when you do pick up your bike you can ride it off the floor and go. talk to your finance company and set it up. that is what i did when i bought my 08 Ultra in afghanistan.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM
troy.j
Road Captain

Originally Posted by marsolais
Ok first things first. If you ordered the bike through military sales then it should be tax free.
Wrong, you will have to pay tax for the state you registered the bike. The states will not give up the bucks they get when you register the bike no matter who you bought it from. The only way to get around that is to change state of residence to one that doesn’t have sales tax on bikes (IE Oregon) and register it there. I know all about this one LOL.
Originally Posted by marsolais
I have bought a bike through the military sale people and they are all criminals. They tell you it is tax free but as soon as you get the bike back to the states and go to register it you have to pay sales tax at the % of the state you are registering the bike in. They also try to tell you that you cannot sell the bike for a year because you got it at a discounted rate. I asked one of the sales reps how he could tell me I could not sell a bike that I owned out right and he just gave me the "UMMM UMMMM" answer. Then they tell you that you are getting the bike at a discount rate or as they like to call it "At cost". Well when I went to get my 2009 Fat Bob, after everything was said and done it was going to cost my $1500 more then going to the dealer and buying the one I really wanted. That is the other thing. They will tell you they can get the bike you want just to get you started on some paperwork, then all of a sudden the bike you wanted is no longer in the system. I hate the military sales.
They buy their bikes from the factory. They have a limited number of options and bikes. if the one setting at the factory that I want gets grabbed by another service member at another AFES somewhere in the world while my financing is in work or I am still making up my mind... well, it happens. I came out a little over 6,000 off what I would have paid in Washington State for the bike. I did not get the exact color I wanted and I ended up with some "upgrades" that I did not want. I paid no tax as I had it sent to a dealer in OR and register it there as well. I am good with these numbers because I had my wife shopping for me here. She went into Skagit and Marysville HD trying to buy a new ultra for less then I was paying. 6,000 difference in price. she couldnt get them to come below 24,000 for an 08 ultra with the two tone paint, nav, security, extended warenty... My price 19,500. after reg, bank fees..... came to 21,200 out the door with tags good for 4 years (paid the DMV twice somehow) For me, I got one hell of a deal I think. I can live with the laced wheels, CA emissions and the paint.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

No Go on giving a blank check. It's ashame that a HD dealer would think someone is that stupid.

Quick Reply: Blank check? Huh?