Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil V-Twin, Red Line Shockproof Heavy, MTL = NO CHANGE???

Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil V-Twin, Red Line Shockproof Heavy, MTL = NO CHANGE???

I have an 05 Ultra.

After reading numerous threads on various oils, it looked like this was the best combo for my Ultra:

engine: Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50w
tranny: red line shockproof heavy
primary: MTL

OK, so I did all of these on my 5000 mile service.

ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE FROM SYN3!!!!!!! NOTHING HAS CHANGED?????? WTF is everyone talking about??? I see no advantages versus Syn 3.

Thought Mobil 1 would run cooler = no change in oil temp today - 90F ambient - 270F oil in the city.

Thought RL heavy would make shifting smoothet/quieter = no difference - feels/sounds exactly the same.

Thought MTL would be the best gear lube = no difference.

I doubled checked to make sure everything was changed as requested - stealership confirmed.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Is all this talk just pure BS????

Old 07-13-2006, 09:19 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mobil V-Twin, Red Line Shockproof Heavy, MTL = NO CHANGE???

Perhaps you need to try "Snake Oil". All kidding aside, I have known people who have never changed their oil (in cars), just added when needed and went over 100k miles. Do I recommend this? NO! However, I think any good oil (approved for use) will do in our MC's. Change as prescribed, watch levels and ride....use what you want. This forum is great, but if you look at all the posts on oil, my summary is the same as bike colors...to each their own. Remember, there are very good marketing/salesmen out there. And you, like I, want the best for our machines. More importantly be safe Bro...if some cager T-bones you, your type of oil will be the least of your worries. Happy, safe riding to you.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:37 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use a regular 20w50 motor oil and I have yet to see my temp rise above 222F. Use Formula Plus in tranny and primary, works smooth. I buy a whole jug of oil for the price of 1 quart of SYN.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 1K service done a couple weeks ago and had Syn3 put in all three holes. Original lubes were dyno of course. With the Syn3 I noticed an immediate improvement in the tranny. Shifted smoother and finding neutural was much more easy. No change that I can notice in the engine. It never really did run all that hot, and engine noise is about the same which is not bad either. I do intend to switch to a gear lube like Redline shockproof heavy. A true gear lubricant
as opposed to an engine oil will result in less wear of the tranny guts over the long haul. Even if you don't sense any immediate difference. Don't change from the Redline. Although I believe that the Syn3 is just fine for the engine, I do want to go to a pure synthetic. I know alot of people that race and build race engines, and if they swear by it, then I'm sold. Any one specifically designed for air cooled motorcycle engines will do. I keep hearing Amsoil is the best. Mobil 1 V-Twin a very close second. Don't see any reason not to consider Bel-Ray or Spectro as well. As for the primary, what ever I wind up using in the engine or just sticking with Syn3.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Mobil 1 20W50 in the engine & primary, and Mobil 1 75W90 in the trans of my Heritage was 15 minutes and 8 miles old when I totalled her!

Edmo
ORIGINAL: billk

...if some cager T-bones you, your type of oil will be the least of your worries.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:50 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edmo

The Mobil 1 20W50 in the engine & primary, and Mobil 1 75W90 in the trans of my Heritage was 15 minutes and 8 miles old when I totalled her!

Edmo
Soooo, then you're saying you didn't notice any difference

Old 07-14-2006, 12:00 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I tried Mobile 1 V-Twin in both mine and the wife's bikes and could tell no difference. I went back to Dino HD 20/50.

It is cheaper, and easier to find on the road. I change my oil and filter every 2,500 miles, even on the road, so availability is important to me.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 30000 miles switched from Syn3 to Mobil 1 20W-50 and 75W-90 in 03 Heritage Classic.

Definite change in ease of shifting tranny. It previously had Syn3 ever since the 1000 mile service.

Cooler, don't know as I do not measure the oil temp at this time.

I agree that if you change it religiously at 2500 miles you will get better results with any lubricant.

I also believe that Syn3 does not belong in a manual transmission. One should use a gear lube there.

I prefer to run a grade IV synthetic and not a "semi-synthetic" like Syn3.

But as our long lost friend TCSTD used to say, "It's your bike and therefore your choice."

Old 07-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not much difference...

Shifting maybe smoother, but for the 13,000 miles I put on the bike in 11 months, I ran Mobil 1 just for the peace of mind... I tend to ride year round so the bike sees both 100 degree heat and 30 degree cold. Synthetic does a good job of maintaining viscosity in the heat and flows good when cold, so it should protect the motor fairly well.

Edmo
ORIGINAL: dawg

ORIGINAL: Edmo

Edmo
Soooo, then you're saying you didn't notice any difference

Old 07-14-2006, 06:32 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't speak on the primary or motor (use different stuff) but I have to agree on the Redline Shockproof comment. I put it in the tranny on my SG and once everything was up to operating temperature, I could tell no difference between that and the Formula +.