Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 113 Craps out after 11 mths & 18000mi - No warranty!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SE 113 Craps out after 11 mths & 18000mi - No warranty!!

A mate of mine had the SE 113 kit installed when he bought his 09 SG. He rode it out of the showroom with the 113 in it.

I was going to do the same 113 kit with my King but when I asked some hard questions about the warranty on the 113 the stealer wouldn’t cover the engine as it is for "race use only". They Stealer apparently told my mate that the 113 was covered (verbally) when he bought the bike.

The reluctance of the dealer to cover the 113 was the main reason I went looking elsewhere and ended up with S&S. If they wont warrant it then it speaks volumes about the reliability of the kit.

Last week a lifter roller collapsed on the front cam on his 113. It broke both chains and apparently destroyed the oil pump too. Not sure how this is possible but thats what he is being told. The pistons and valves will likely be damaged from coming together. The motor is full of metal and the full extent of the damage is still being assessed.

HD wont cover the repairs. "The 113 is for race use only". This bike has never seen a drag strip or a track and has done 18000 street miles in 12 months.

I was wondering what the USA experience with this is. Do the dealers warrant the 103? The 110? The 113??

Has anyone had an SE kit crap out on them after a short period of time? What did the Stealer do??

Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! That sucks man! Makes me love my H-D twin cam even more though! Good luck!

Old 12-08-2009, 05:09 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
They Stealer apparently told my mate that the 113 was covered (verbally) when he bought the bike.
Unfortunately, that's why things like this should only be done after it is in writing. Sorry to hear about your mate's issue, that sucks.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:14 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

If my local dealership builds it, it's warrantied.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
If my local dealership builds it, it's warrantied.
Thats what he thought too......

You got it in writing??

Old 12-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what the note is on the web:"CAUTION: Harley-Davidson® EFI systems will not compensate for any component changes. Do not mill heads or increase compression in any way. Do not use cams other than supplied in the kit. Do not change kit components. Failure to comply may result in engine damage. Dealer installation required - failure to comply may result in a lean fuel condition and severe engine damage."
If they aren't going to warranty it why is dealer installation required? You could have had your aunt Tilly put it in. If they screw you out of this I'd put in an S&S or brand X engine. My dealer says they warranty work they do, parts and labor, for 1 year. You need to publish the name of this dealer to warn people.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
BM83
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im guessin' its in Australia. Maybe they have a differant warranty.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:12 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunatetly a broken lifter is not likely the result of the kit itself. Might have failed in stock form as well. It does give the dealer a way to weasel out of covering it. Sad situation for your friend.
Ron

Old 12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
ENTERPRISE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that would just suck the big one

Old 12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a S.E. lifter fail as well, which took out the oil pump, cam and cam plate to the tune of $1200.00. Although it was not on a 113 kit but a 95 build just as well. The dealer that did the work (on the road) stated they do not use S.E. lifters anymore as they had experienced a high failure rate with them in the past. I would try contacting Harley direct and see if they will work with you. I am betting they will do something, maybe not 100% but something. It's worth a try.

Quick Reply: SE 113 Craps out after 11 mths & 18000mi - No warranty!!