Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head work perf gains?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:58 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head work perf gains?

I upgraded to Se 255 cams this fall. I was considering a 103 but decided to just to the cams for now. I have 35K miles on my 07 and will probably put 15K or so more on next summer. Looking for advise on what to do at that time.

My budet would be about $2,000. Options:

1. Top end work at that time to prolong life of the engine and gain performance? Bore cylinders, flat top pistons and keep the SE 255s.

2. Headwork only. Keep the SE 255s and have heads done. What do builders typically do to the heads to had more performance? What kind of gain would I get by just doing heads? Would I need mech compression releases if I keep the Se 255's?

3. A builders KIT. 103, new pistons, minor headwork.... don't know if this would fit into the budget or not. I know that some of the builders really post great numbers.

I've never done significant wrenching, so don't know what I would be getting into to tear down the engine and send to a builder for rework. I'm getting the service manual. Will that and some tools be enough to guide me?

Trying to get things in line to do something next winter. Get a strategy together and begin getting what I need through the summer.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your 07 heads already flow "pretty good" compared to older models.

However, every cam has it's optimal compression range, so getting the heads cc'd and shaved to give you the compression that best suits your cams,.... add a mild clean-up of the heads, and you would likely see a noticeable gain.

Once you have the heads off, there is barely anymore labor involved in changing your jugs and pistons for the bigger displacement.

I can't recommend doing it yourself unless you are mechanically inclined. The fact that you say you have not done much mechanical work leaves me thinking that you are not all that into wrenching.

Sure you will hear "do it yourself",....."it's not that hard",..... and that would be true if you have some inclination with a wrench, as well as the discipline to follow torque specs and sequences. It's the little details that will screw you if you overlook them.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 AM
parrothead306
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my upgrade last winter. I went to a 95 and changed the cams. I had the heads worked too. Armed with only the service manual and the forum I was able to do it. I am sure I took longer than a shop would have but it is possible. I did have someone to help if I need tech back up. I would also say if u are going to have the hear work done u may as well go bigger bore too. really not that much extra work and well worth it.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:33 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta agree with Ed. I just did my work myself, but I grew up with my brother wrenching on race cars every weekend. Service manual is a must. As far as tools, general mechanics tools are what you need, plus a few special ones. You will need a set of feeler gauges, mechanics straight edge, ring compressor, bearing puller and installer for inner cam bearings (iclick posted a link to one that he and I both used and works great), inch and foot lb torque wrenches. Most of the other tools are common tools that everyone has in their garage.

If you decide to do the work yourself, you should be able to get most kits close to your budget. If you are paying to have the work done, the difference between 2 & 3 would be the cost of the headwork. IMO, if you go far enough to pull the heads, do the whole big bore kit.

Regarding compression releases - I don't think it ever hurts to install them, especially if you have the heads off anyway. Those 255's have a fairly early close on the intake valve, so they tend to build cylinder pressure pretty fast. This can make for hard starts in the summer, especially if you are bumping your static compression with a shaved head or thinner gasket. Just makes good sense to me to get them. Most shops charge about $100 for the machine work and the valves.

Good luck with whatever you decide.