Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrrgh! Exhaust leak at rear cyl. (did Forum Search &?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Arrrgh! Exhaust leak at rear cyl. (did Forum Search &?)

I did search the Forum on this and now not sure which is right.

I finally said screw the chores, I'm getting at least one of these exhausts on these bikes. Installing Vance and Hines PowerDuals on my Road Glide and when all was said and done, I have an exhaust leak at the rear cylinder and though much harder to hear, possibly the front too. Before my exhaust ever came in, I went and bought the H-D SE exhaust gaskets because they looked like compressed stainless steel which got me thinking "well, that should last". The V&H headers came with gaskets that had a same flat woven look, but looked like some composite rather than steel. So I didn't use them. Knowing that I now have to tear her down again (dammit!), I did a search on the Forum and noticed a few interesting things regarding who says to use what and why. The OE headers do have rounded mating surface whereas the V&H have a flatter mating surface. Since the OE gaskets appear to have that taper, would that not make my exhaust leak worse? One person says that the SE gaskets are only best for the flatter pipes (like mine), but mine leak.
Since the V&H gaskets look the same as the SE ones, is there a better choice, or do I just go with the V&H ones? Are those copper wire style ones good for H-D? So, I'm confused as to which gaskets are truly the 'ideal' ones. Since they're only exhaust gaskets, I'm not concerned about cost, just want the best so I won't be doing this again.

Now for your humor, good thing I had the AutoTune O2 sensors to use in the new headers because the rear OE O2 sensor stripped while removing it. Somehow the threads on the OE header aren't too bad, but that sensor is toast. And, because I don't have a Windows PC to use yet for the AutoTune set-up, the new O2 sensors are nothing more than expensive plugs!

Please, tell me which gaskets are best, especially if you happen to be running the PowerDuals. Huge thanks for any help!

In closing, I'm hoping that soggy lower rpm will clear up once my exhaust leak is cured.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Cometic part #C9540-2 are supposed to be great gaskets. They are the crush kind. I use stock gaskets because you have to get things just right for the SE ones to seal.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

OEM harley gaskets for me for all my exhaust needs.

They will crush and seal off a potential leak. The only reported potential issue if you're not careful is they will crush and possibly protrude into the exhaust port area.

The SE gaskets are more problematic than they are worth IMO. I have the D&D FatCat and the portion of the pipe that inserts into the exhaust port on the head is the perfect design for proper sealing and I STILL used the OEM gaskets over the SE gasket. I've had to redo exhaust gaskets while doing my build and that was enough to let me know the SE gaskets suck.....even as meticulous as I was when I installed them......leaky.

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 12-13-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dawg
Cometic part #C9540-2 are supposed to be great gaskets. They are the crush kind. I use stock gaskets because you have to get things just right for the SE ones to seal.
Thank you once again Dawg. You mention you use the stock gaskets, you mean with stock headers right? That Cometic part number would apparently be for my flat-surface headers I imagine. Since V&H didn't specify a special way of tightening the headers, I used the sequence specified in the manual. Perhaps at least I got THAT part right!

Now, on to a supplier of Cometic I go a-huntin'.

Thanks again.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just used SE gaskets but haven't fired engine yet (on Softail). Got me worried now. What's the trick? I just want to make sure I've not screwed up . . .

Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

I use stock gaskets with my D&D fatcat, I never use the SE. The cometic ones are the ones pictured below.

Attached Thumbnails Arrrgh!  Exhaust leak at rear cyl. (did Forum Search &?)-263766.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As nicely built as the D&D are you can get away with either, but I prefer the non-s/e myself as they are much more forgiving. Never had a leak with the stock type.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Just used SE gaskets but haven't fired engine yet (on Softail). Got me worried now. What's the trick? I just want to make sure I've not screwed up . . .
Well if I have a problem it's not that tough to fix . . . I'm not running a cross-over so there's no link between front and rear exhaust. Makes install/uninstall pretty straight forward. The gaskets I took out look like the same SE gaskets.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

I use stock gaskets with my D&D fatcat, I never use the SE. The cometic ones are the ones pictured below.
Dawg, thought you'd find part of this interesting. I was able to locate the Cometic gaskets fast enough to get them here (so they say) by tomorrow (fri.), so I should be able to toss them on sunday if all goes well. While I'm at the dealer today picking up something unrelated, I said in passing "other than the OE or SE gaskets, what do you have for V&H pipes?" "Oh, we use the OE tapered gaskets no matter what exhaust we put on". Oh really? No thanks, I'll stick with Dawg's suggestion, he's steered me right so far thank you very much. But as I'm walking away, the guy asks, "what's wrong with the SE gaskets?" I said, nothing other than the leaks.
Dawg, if you don't mind me asking, is the manual's way of tightening the exhaust flange nuts the best regardless of pipe or gasket?
Thanks.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:32 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Never had the SE or other flat ones NOT leak. Ive installed almost every exhaust out there using stock OE gaskets with no problems.

Last edited by hog-doc; 12-18-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Arrrgh! Exhaust leak at rear cyl. (did Forum Search &?)