Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Ultra purchase, new to forum, good story!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 10:23 PM
ncpi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ultra purchase, new to forum, good story!!!

Hello everyone,

This is my story. Kind of cool.

I have a 1991 Fatboy. It is a nice bike. Everything is custom. Well I drove it up to Michigan last month with a guy that had a Ultra Classic. That is the longest trip I have ever been on. It beat me up pretty good. So for the last four weeks, I have been looking for a Ultra Classic. I have been to all the dealers, but when I get there, I just could not sign the paper for the financing. My Fatboy is paid for!!! I have also been hesitant to buy a '06 because I knew that the '07 would be kick ****!!!! I really have been focusing on 100th Anniversary Editions.

Well anyway, I work with a guy who is 21, he went an bought a CBR F2 from a Honda dealership. He told me that there was a 2003 Ultra on consignment at the Honda dealership. I went down to the dealership and worked out the numbers and bought the bike. Killer deal. About $2000 less than hdtrader.com and cycletrader.com, plus I got thrown in a one year, unlimited mileage warranty. AND only 7000 miles on it. Being a Honda dealership, they did not know anything about the bike. I was curious what happened to the lower fairings, they told me the bike is as is. I took it home and changed all the fluids to Amsoil.

As I was changing the fluids, I noticed the back left chrome bag brackets were bent to hell. I got pissed. No paint damage, but both the chrome rails were bent in bad. Looked as though someone backed it into something hard. The owner had written his name, address and phone number in the owners manual. So I called him for some information. It turns out, he bought it brand new $27,000. He is the president of the local HOG chapter. He sold it because he shattered his hip and can never ride again. He did say that he had Vance and Hines and a Stage I. What the hell? The pipes on it were not Vance? He had done the 1000 and 5000 miles service at one of the local Harley dealers. All bolts have toppers and there is a lot of chrome.

The good news----he had the name and number of the guy who bought it. I then called him. Mind you, I was kind of hesitant, some people just do not like to be bothered. It turns out this guy was a great guy, he told me everything about the bike. He had replaced the tires and put a SE slip on at 6500 miles. He said the bike was mint when he traded it in. He bought a Goldwing. I asked about the lower fairing and sure enough he had them. He then invited me over.

I went over to his house and he had the following. Okay this is were it gets real cool-------

1. The Vance and Hines slip ons.
2. He had 2 intercoms, 1 still in package and never used
3. He had the bag inserts - carrying case things
4. He had Kurakyn highway bars and pegs
5. He had these Kurakyn adjustable passenger pegs - they rotate with a pin? I have never seen them before.
6. The lower fairings.
6. Driver detachable adjustable backrest.

Well, his wife was very cool, she road. They both had been Harley people for the last 20 years, but for some reason went to Honda's. Good people. He wanted $500 for everything. Woohoo!!!! They even gave me a HD 3/4 black helmet.

I put on the Vance and Hines pipes and it is night and day difference. I called him and he said that the guy he bought it from Dyno tuned the V&H slip ons. They were two loud for him, so he had the local HD dealer just swop them out. He also mentioned that he also swapped the bars on the same trip, the bars are the 2" draw back bars. Good for me, I am tall, so eventually I will switch them.

Today, I replaced the bag brackets. I also wanted to add a quick release for the tour pack and a low profile seat. I love the sleek look of the Street Glide, but the tour pack has totally spoiled me, I love it. I do not know if I can live without it. It is funny, because for years, all my buds that had a Ultra Glide with a tour pack have incurred my constant trash talk about th

Old 07-15-2006, 10:40 PM
callieblue
Tourer
Default RE: 2003 Ultra purchase, new to forum, good story!!!

Congrats on the new scooter, she's a beauty. And sounds like it was mint to be!

Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Max,
Congradulation on scoring the '03 Ultra Classic and welcome to the group. I'm fairly new myself and also have an '03 Ultra Classic Police Edition, my first Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:19 AM
toolbox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story, Congrads on the new ride! Enjoy the rides to come!
TOOLBOX

[IMG]local://upfiles/11196/C5B9F257F2984608AD4DBBABB21435C2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-16-2006, 12:42 AM
ncpi
Advanced

Thanks everyone,

The only thing that really sucks is that I want so many chrome parts. I have had my Fatboy forever, and once it was paid off, it was easy to trick out.........It is just about where I want it, now I have to start over.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-16-2006, 12:47 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Man you hit the jackpot, Awesome looking bike, really like that color.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:56 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Gotta love it when everthing works out like that, congratulations!

Old 07-16-2006, 05:36 AM
Matt8643
Road Captain

One of the best stories I have read here! Congrats-nice looking bike.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

Welcome to the Dark Side.

I was happy to see you kept your FB. I wish I could've kept my WG, but then I wouldn't have been able to do anything to the Ultra.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:17 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

Cool story and sweet bike!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Ultra purchase, new to forum, good story!!!