Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on a 1980 FLT

Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
vme2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on a 1980 FLT

A friend of mine has bought a 1980 FLT and pulled the Shovelhead for his project bike.

I'm thinking of buying it, but I need to know a few things before I go ahead with it.

I have a spare EVO engine and I want to put that in there and ride it, but before I commit to this, I have a couple of questions I need answers to.

So I'd really appreciate your help...

First off: This bike has the enclosed chain drive on the rear wheel, and it appears also have a chain primary. Are parts available to convert this bike from chain primary and secondary to belt drive on the primary and seconday ? So I can get a ballpark, where would be the cheapest place to buy these conversion parts ?

Second: As much as I love Electraglides, I hate sharknose fairing that the FLT has. On a 1980 FLT how big a deal will it be to remove the fairing and go to a single round headlight ? I want this bike to have the Road King look. I ask this question because I know on some of the Glides you can just remove the fairing from the forks and some of them it is very difficult to remove from.

Thanks for your time and information !

Old 12-16-2009, 03:38 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

It does have a chain primary. To convert the secondary chain, you'll need to search bikebandit, zippers, zanoties and J&P for conversion kits. Trick will be to find the right offset pullies for the tranny and the rear wheel for the belt to run true. Plus you'll have to pull the swingarm and most likely replace the cleaveblocks since they are very old.

Your bike and your dime, it's easier to remove the chain enclosure and save it and replace the sprockets and run a good o-ring chain and keep it lubed.

Removing the fairing is easy, re-wiring the harness to fit inside the headlight nacelle and getting rid of the fork mounted speedo and tach is more of the challenge. V-twin makes a kit to convert it and you'll need to swap gas tanks to run a roadking setup with the speedo on the tank.

Lot's of money and lots of time, your call. Me, I'd walk away and find a different "glide to start with if what your looking for is more of a roadking.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
vme2
Intermediate

It's a complete, titled bike- minus engine for $800.

At that price- I can afford to throw some cash at it.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

I am not sure about a 1980 but on earlier shovel frames an EVO engine will not fit as Evo engines are taller. Check and be sure.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I did the RK style conversion. The fairing swap to nacelle is relatively easy. Most of the after market shells are plastic. There are 2 styles of nacelles, I attached pics of both. I think the chrome style looks better. Here's a few pics of the 80 FLT conversion. You sell the parts on eBay and cover the parts you need.

Attached Thumbnails Questions on a 1980 FLT-flt-006s.jpg   Questions on a 1980 FLT-mvc-007f.jpg   Questions on a 1980 FLT-new-flt-4-pics.jpg   Questions on a 1980 FLT-flt-2.jpg   Questions on a 1980 FLT-new-flt-5.jpg  

Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member

As far as the enclosed chain - I removed the oil bath enclosure and ran it exposed. I don't believe the 5 speed FLT trans will work with an Evo. The speedometer change is not required unless you don't like the gauge pod.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 PM
vme2
Intermediate

Thanks for letting me know about the transmission- I have a RevTech 6 speed stuck up for a project, but I might be able to use it with this.

I spoke to a Harley Davidson shop in Auburn, AL, another one in Georgia and they both told me an EVO would be a drop in swap on the 1980 the FLT.

Specifically, I spoke to a tech at Big Swamp and a tech at Frasier.

BTW: Your bike is pretty much exactly what I want.

May I PM you and ask a few questions in regards to how the chain drive was with respect to reliability and how it impacted rideability ?

Thanks so much for all the replies !

Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Rizzo has done a really neat job. His bike looks very similar to my FLHS (without my batwing).

Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by vme2

BTW: Your bike is pretty much exactly what I want.

May I PM you and ask a few questions in regards to how the chain drive was with respect to reliability and how it impacted rideability ?
Sure you can PM me. It's been about 5 years but I think I can still be helpful. No problem with the chain, my new bagger was converted to a chain because the belts were breaking (built engine). I honestly don't think the ridebility makes a difference on chain vs belt.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

Man, its a SHOVEL. Sell the Evo motor, use that money to buy a used Shovel motor and take the spare cash you have to have the motor rebuilt by a shop that knows Shovels. Don't wreck it with and Evo motor. And JMHO, the Sharknose bikes really are an aquired taste. You either like them or you don't. But a Short Dark windshield really styles them up. Not to mention they are the best riding touring bikes ever to sport a Shovelhead motor. Besides, what greater joy is there than leaking oil all over your friends driveway while you make fun of there brand new girlie bikes.

The following users liked this post:
103 sedona orange (06-10-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions on a 1980 FLT