Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on detachable tour pak mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:03 PM
fatbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ? on detachable tour pak mounts

I was on the H-D site this morning and noticed that they show 2 different detachable tour pak mounts. They show a one up and a two up detachable tour pak mount. I've been using the one up mount as my two up mount for the wife, my question is should I change to the two up style of mount? Is this a possible safety issue, has anyone had any problems using the one up mount as a two up mount? The first pic. is the mount I've been using and the second is the mount they say to use.

Here's the factory descriptions;

Detachable Solo Tour-PakŪ Mounting Rack

The Solo Tour-PakŪ Rack moves a Chopped or King Tour-PakŪ forward to a comfortable back supporting position. The rack is designed to position the Tour-PakŪ for solo riding and is adjustable over a 3/4" range. Simply remove the Tour-PakŪ from the convenient detachable hardware, add a passenger pillion, and the bike is ready for two-up riding. Tour-PakŪ, Passenger Backrest Pad and Docking Hardware sold separately.

53260-02

Detachable Two-Up Tour-PakŪ Mounting Rack

Change your riding style in less than 60 seconds. The ultimate in touring flexibility, this Tour-PakŪ Rack makes the convenience and protection of a Razor-Pak, Chopped, King, or Leather Tour-PakŪ Luggage System a simple on-and-off proposition. Simple turn latches mount the rack to the bike's docking points, and allow you to replace the Tour-PakŪ with a detachable sissy bar upright for around-town cruising. The chrome-plated Detachable Rack positions a Tour-PakŪ behind the passenger pillion, and allows the passenger to use the luggage as a supporting backrest. Adjustable over a 3/4" range, the Tour-PakŪ can be located for maximum passenger room and comfort. Tour-PakŪ, Passenger Backrest Pad, and Docking Hardware Kit sold separatly.

53276-04

Attached Thumbnails ? on detachable tour pak mounts-53260_02_m_16924.jpg   ? on detachable tour pak mounts-53276_09_m_23936.jpg  
Old 12-20-2009, 02:11 PM
bman7163
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can tell you that your second pic is showing the 2-Up tour pack on a 2009 (part # 53276-09A).

Old 12-20-2009, 02:18 PM
fatbob
Tourer

But mine's an '05

Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

First, ignore any detachable product that is for '09 or newer models--they aren't intended for '08 and older bikes.

Second, the solo detachable tour pak rack uses the forward mounting points, i.e. the same mounting hardware that is used for a passenger backrest. If that's what you have, you are fine.

The two-up detachable tour pak rack uses a different set of mounting hardware. That hardware is used only for the two-up detachable rack; has nothing to do with the passenger backrest.

Don't know what "safety issue" you have in mind.

Carl

Old 12-20-2009, 06:27 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

In a nutshell you are using the correct mount. The Mount pictured on the Right is a two up mount for an 09+ touring bike.

So you're good....

lp

Old 12-20-2009, 07:42 PM
harley2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default read again

Originally Posted by fatbob
I was on the H-D site this morning and noticed that they show 2 different detachable tour pak mounts. They show a one up and a two up detachable tour pak mount. I've been using the one up mount as my two up mount for the wife, my question is should I change to the two up style of mount? Is this a possible safety issue, has anyone had any problems using the one up mount as a two up mount? The first pic. is the mount I've been using and the second is the mount they say to use.

Here's the factory descriptions;

Detachable Solo Tour-PakŪ Mounting Rack

The Solo Tour-PakŪ Rack moves a Chopped or King Tour-PakŪ forward to a comfortable back supporting position. The rack is designed to position the Tour-PakŪ for solo riding and is adjustable over a 3/4" range. Simply remove the Tour-PakŪ from the convenient detachable hardware, add a passenger pillion, and the bike is ready for two-up riding. Tour-PakŪ, Passenger Backrest Pad and Docking Hardware sold separately.

53260-02

Detachable Two-Up Tour-PakŪ Mounting Rack

Change your riding style in less than 60 seconds. The ultimate in touring flexibility, this Tour-PakŪ Rack makes the convenience and protection of a Razor-Pak, Chopped, King, or Leather Tour-PakŪ Luggage System a simple on-and-off proposition. Simple turn latches mount the rack to the bike's docking points, and allow you to replace the Tour-PakŪ with a detachable sissy bar upright for around-town cruising. The chrome-plated Detachable Rack positions a Tour-PakŪ behind the passenger pillion, and allows the passenger to use the luggage as a supporting backrest. Adjustable over a 3/4" range, the Tour-PakŪ can be located for maximum passenger room and comfort. Tour-PakŪ, Passenger Backrest Pad, and Docking Hardware Kit sold separatly.

53276-04
the first one is a solo set-up for one rider on a bike, moves the tour pak backrest up for the driver.the second is for riding two up ( 2 poeple on a bike)

Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
fatbob
Tourer

The 53260-02 says "Detachable Solo Tour-PakŪ Mounting Rack". Fits '97-'08 Road KingŪ, FLHT, FLHX, and FLTR models equipped with solo seat and required docking hardware.

And the 53276-04 says "Detachable Two-Up Tour-PakŪ Mounting Rack". Fits '97-'08 Road KingŪ, FLHT, FLHX and FLTR models equipped with required docking hardware. FLTR and FLHX models require Antenna Relocation Kit P/N 76326-00A. Does not fit with Layback License Plate Mounting Kit.

I just want to be sure using the 53260-02 solo mount is OK to use for the rear two-up mount.

Last edited by fatbob; 12-20-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:53 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbob
The 53260-02 says "Detachable Solo Tour-PakŪ Mounting Rack". Fits '97-'08 Road KingŪ, FLHT, FLHX, and FLTR models equipped with solo seat and required docking hardware.

And the 53276-04 says "Detachable Two-Up Tour-PakŪ Mounting Rack". Fits '97-'08 Road KingŪ, FLHT, FLHX and FLTR models equipped with required docking hardware. FLTR and FLHX models require Antenna Relocation Kit P/N 76326-00A. Does not fit with Layback License Plate Mounting Kit.

I just want to be sure using the 53260-02 solo mount is OK to use for the rear two-up mount.
You can't go by the pictures. The solo mount and the two up mount look very similar for an 05.
The solo mount will not work as a two up mount.
It physically will not "mount" as the mounting posts are in different places - I think. (solo vs two up)
If you have a detach mount on your bike now and it is in the rear, and works as a two up mount, you probably have the two up mount....

The two up mount pictured on the right way above is a two up mount for an 09+ touring bike and does not apply to your 05.
Yes, the listing is for a two up, but it's the wrong picture for your bike is all I'm saying...

All detach mounts for 08 and below (yours) have that U-shaped round bar of which the tourpack or whatever mounts to.
The solo and the two up both have round bar. All mounts for 09+ have just a flat piece of metal...

So... if you are running a "mount" and it's working for you as a two up... it's probably the two up mount...for an 05.

lp

Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

if it works, it works. What's the question?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 PM
fatbob
Tourer

Thanks guys, lp straightened it all out. The pictures aren't always the right ones on the website.

The following users liked this post:
Ricky Kyles (08-02-2022)

Quick Reply: ? on detachable tour pak mounts