Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics VS. Arc Audio review

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
xtremechopper
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biketronics VS. Arc Audio review

So I got to honestly and thoroughly test these two amps out through all their paces and this is my honest review.
The biketronics amp was the bt480 at 180watts per channel
The Arc Audio is the KS125.2 at 125 watts per channel
The speakers are Boston Acoustic SR60 component speakers in the front fairing and Polyplaner 5 1/4 coax in the saddlebag lids

Biketronics-
pros- Very loud, you can hear the music at any speed without an issue
Very easy install-no adjustments to the amp at all and very easy to hide

Cons-Cannot get the settings on the stereo to create a good sound at high volumes.
Tinny sounding at high volume
Very easy to blow speakers trying to get the right sound and can never get a good balance

Arc audio-
Pros- Full adjustability to get the right sound no matter what volume
Almost audiophile type sound with no distortion
Crisp, clean and clear at high volumes
price

Cons- Harder to install
Have to take time to setup properly
bigger unit and is hard to find a spot to mount on a roadglide
Not as powerful/loud as the biketronics

In summary, While the Biketronics unit is easier to install and is noticeably louder it lacks the sound quality that the Arc Audio has. If you are just looking to get louder and do not care about quality of sound then the biketronics unit is for you. If you want to listen to your music with as good a quality of sound as you can get at this price point on a bike then the Arc Audio is for you.
I picked these 2 units because of the price point and availability plus both products are made to work with motorcycles and do not put a strain on your charging system. While the biketronics is louder than the arc I would lean more towards the arc audio for sound plus it is priced a couple of hundred less than the biketronics unit. Basically you are getting a better sound for less money.
I do plan on adding a second set of speakers in the fairing this winter and hook those up to the arc audio unit also which should make it alot louder. With only the 2 speakers at 4 ohms hooked up it is only producing about 70 watts and with the 4 speakers it should be producing approx. 125 watts. To be honest I am also still continuing to use the biketronics amp for the saddlebag speakers so I can have a full sound while riding.
I hope this helps anyone out who is thinking of buying one of these amps and if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

I can say that while my Wet Sounds amp (marine version of Arc) has only 125 watts per channel, I only have 2 6.5" speakers in the fairing and I can't ride for very long with it cranked before my ears split!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Wetsounds amp as well, it is loud, and sounds great.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

+1 on ARC audio have the 125.2 driving 2 6.5 polks in the fairing and 2 6.5 arc speakers in pods on a tour pac - I love the sound!! My Alpine just stopped playing CDs though very disappointing! Think the next one is a pioneer - had a few people talk me out of a pioneer for the alpine it has been good, but the cd going in roughly 18 months sucks.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 AM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor

I appreciate the shout out on the Wet Sounds amp (same as the Arc but marine grade). We feel like we sell a great quality product for a great price. Thanks guys!

Aaron

Old 12-22-2009, 02:13 AM
sik99ranger
Novice

there should be no problems mounting the arc amp in a road glide it goes right down on the left side of the farring. i have put in 5 to 7 in roadglides and never had a issue. and for all the other baggers the amp will mount directly ontop of the radio.
on the cvo models it is a little tighter but it will fit you just have to shove it under the harnesses that run ontop of the radio. the radio is thicker on cvos. on the biketronics what size fuse is on the amp?

Old 12-22-2009, 05:27 AM
xtremechopper
Cruiser

I was not downing the arc audio sound level just saying that the biketronics was louder. The arc can be heard at any speed also without an issue and just sounds better at no matter what volume you put it at. I am very happy with the sound of it and do not plan on changing it anytime soon. As for fitment, I should of clarified that one. It does fit without a problem on either the left or right side of the fairing on a roadglide inbetween the glove box. I just meant that it does not fit nice on top of the radio like on the batwing models.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the ARC audio amp/Memphis audio 5-1/4"s in my FLHT and am very happy. I will be upping to Memphis component 6.5"s come spring in hopes of a tad fuller sound. I'm just curious as to how "audiophile" the tunes can really be at 75mph ? Wind noise, tire noise, etc along with compressed music downloads don't exactly make for a nice sound room. I guess I just want audible music at hiway speeds

Last edited by troop; 12-22-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice, honest write up. You made my point why I had to go with the Biketronics bt480 amp. I'm no audiopile and needed a simple plug and play unit.

I tried the Hawg Wired system and could never get it adjusted to where I could hear it worth a crap (I had my front fairing off every week, for over a year)(and we ride year round down here).

I know they're better sounding systems out there, but at least I can hear mine now at highway (75) speeds. I'm in the middle of Deep East Texas, so it's basicly just me trying to figure this stuff out.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

So much to buy, so little my wife will let me spend.

Beary

Quick Reply: Biketronics VS. Arc Audio review