Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions on a 1980 FLT EVO engine conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 AM
vme2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions on a 1980 FLT EVO engine conversion.

I got my 1980 FLT home and started working on it. As I was told, my EVO engine was a bit tall for the frame and while it would fit, there wasn't enough room for it to vibrate. There is a "gusset" right above the engine that is the root of the problem and it was removed on the later Shovels, from what I can tell. I spoke to a couple of shops and they said that it is common practice to remove the gusset.

I got out the plasma cutter and removed it. Then I proceeded to grind everything down and paint the area. It looks as though it came that way from the factory. A friend of mine stopped by and saw my EVO engine sitting on my stand and he proceeded to remind me that an EVO won't fit in an early Shovel frame. I asked him if he wanted to make a bet, and we proceeded to sit the engine back in the frame. He couldn't believe the clearance, and I proceeded to explain the mod and showed him my work- he was impressed so I felt pretty good about it.

I will be running the stock 1980 5-speed transmission- this is pretty much the same unit in FLT and FXR bikes from 1980-1998, however, this one was originally mated to a Shovelhead, and is now going to be mated to an EVO.

Can anyone tell me which clutch and primary chain combo I should purchase ? I've been told to buy one for a 1984 FXR with 5 speed. I've also been told that I can use the one that came stock on a 79-80 FLH or 80 FLT. I have one for a '79 FLH that is complete with primary, clutch unit, everything- if it would work, I would be exceptionally happy.

One last question here, can anyone tell me what year model engine mounts I should purchase for my EVO conversion ? Can I just reuse my new old stock rubber mount Shovelhead mounts ? Or should I purchase a set for an EVO era bike- and if so- which bike ?

Thanks !

Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 AM
fairplay
Road Master

the best bet is the 84 flh. Some argue with me that there never was a shovel in 84, let alone a belt drive shovel. You are correct the evo and late shovel (stars on the engine case) are interchangable w/o problem. I only say this year because when ordered on 84 you didn't know what you were going to get. The MoCo just grabbed what ever they grabbed off the shelf be it belt drive, chain drive, kicker, electric, evo shovel. I am restoring my 84 that at one time had an evo in it. I am putting the shovel back in it as we speak.

Attached Thumbnails Some questions on a 1980 FLT EVO engine conversion.-1224091104.jpg  
Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by fairplay
the best bet is the 84 flh. Some argue with me that there never was a shovel in 84, let alone a belt drive shovel. You are correct the evo and late shovel (stars on the engine case) are interchangable w/o problem. I only say this year because when ordered on 84 you didn't know what you were going to get. The MoCo just grabbed what ever they grabbed off the shelf be it belt drive, chain drive, kicker, electric, evo shovel. I am restoring my 84 that at one time had an evo in it. I am putting the shovel back in it as we speak.
The "Sturgis" an FX Shovel (solid mount) around '81, I believe had both a primary belt and rear drive belt. Not 100% sure about the primary but it definitly had a rear belt.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:26 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vme2
Can anyone tell me which clutch and primary chain combo I should purchase ? I've been told to buy one for a 1984 FXR with 5 speed. I've also been told that I can use the one that came stock on a 79-80 FLH or 80 FLT. I have one for a '79 FLH that is complete with primary, clutch unit, everything- if it would work, I would be exceptionally happy.

One last question here, can anyone tell me what year model engine mounts I should purchase for my EVO conversion ? Can I just reuse my new old stock rubber mount Shovelhead mounts ? Or should I purchase a set for an EVO era bike- and if so- which bike ?

Thanks !
Your frame is an FLT frame, not a FX/FLH shovel frame. They are different.

I have a '84 FLT that runs the dry 3 finger clutch (1941-84), it would've been oem on your 80 as well. They're cheap and easy to maintain.

No reason you cant just use the stock mount, you may need to change to the EVO plate, shouldnt be too difficult. Good luck and post a pic of it in the EVO forum

Old 12-29-2009, 12:40 AM
vme2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by notlost_nc
Your frame is an FLT frame, not a FX/FLH shovel frame. They are different.

I have a '84 FLT that runs the dry 3 finger clutch (1941-84), it would've been oem on your 80 as well. They're cheap and easy to maintain.

No reason you cant just use the stock mount, you may need to change to the EVO plate, shouldnt be too difficult. Good luck and post a pic of it in the EVO forum
Believe me, I'm knee deep in this b@st@rd for the first time, and I'm well aware this ain't an old FLH or FX.

What I'm refering to is the 82+ FXR II bikes- which other than the front end and neck- are pretty doggone similar to this FLT- at least in my minimal experience.

I got ahold of a 1984 FLT primary chain, sprocket, etc and everything went together nicely.

I also ordered a complete '84 FLT motor mount kit and EVO plate, so that's on the way.