Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of ignition switch removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:59 AM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by psychocircus
Just leave it in the unlock spot, forward, push the little button up from underneath, then turn key to pop it off. When you're done, put it back in Never have to worry back it in, forward facing, push down, turn key and done...I've never had a problem
Well you were lucky then. Thats exactly what I did but when I went to put the switch back in it wouldn't go all the way down. Somehow while I was working the internals got out of sync. I then had to get the barrels aligned with a screwdriver.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM
G9803
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for the others-

I am going to swap my bars this weekend and saw this while searching for a ignition tool... Needless to say heading to get some copper tubing.

HD wanted $90. Thanks for saving me some cash!

Old 10-28-2014, 03:43 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by G9803
Bump for the others-

I am going to swap my bars this weekend and saw this while searching for a ignition tool... Needless to say heading to get some copper tubing.

HD wanted $90. Thanks for saving me some cash!
I can save you some more cash. You can accomplish the same thing with the straight slot screwdriver you already have in your toolbox.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 10-28-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2002
really cool! What is the od of the tubing you used?
1/4 "

Old 10-31-2014, 07:34 AM
G9803
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
I can save you some more cash. You can accomplish the same thing with the straight slot screwdriver you already have in your toolbox.
So, I just tore mine off last night, in the middle of installing some new apes. I knocked the cams out of sync with the tool in the original post (wasn't long enough). Not knocking the tool, it works great for being makeshift, but you simply need something wide enough to hit both cams.

From what I can tell there are two, and they appear to be 180* away from eachother. After about 15 minutes of messing with the cams, I used a skinny flat head to bypass the first cam, then used the head of the screwdriver to turn the 2nd cam into place. Then reinserted the tool and it lunlocked the bars.

Edit: Earlier in another post related, someone noted an important thing to remember-

Quoting "BadBagger"

"just went through this. IF after the video you still cannot get it, try this. USE the switch lock as you DO NOT NEED an alignment tool..Slide lock down into the tube until you are in position with the upper cylinders in the lock housing then SLOWLY and I mean SLOWLY turn the **** while pushing downward until you find the position of the lower cylinder. Then turn back to LOCK and push downward until it bottoms out on the tree. Now pull the switch UP ever so slightly, perhaps maybe 1/8" of an inch give or take and you'll hear the button you pushed in click into place. Turn your switch lock through the various positions. NOTE TO SELF: This sounds easy, don't ask me how I know nor don't ask me how many damned hours it took me of farting with this to come up with this particular solutions but it DOES work. I've taken it in and out 10 times and works every time and you do NOT need a HD (hundred dollar) tool."

Last edited by G9803; 10-31-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:36 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Although the (awesome) video didn't really help me, all told the comments, experiences of others and the video got me 99% of the way there. Had everything aligned and the bike would turn on and start, but the switch wouldn't lock in. Called a local indy, was going to drive it like that to him, but he said "Nah, you just have to **** with it" and he was right. As soon as I hung up the phone, I made sure that the little button was up, moved it into the accessory position and it snapped down. All is good. Time to ride.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

14 EGC Ultra.

I wired a small garage door remote under the Ign/Lock dash along with a push button switch 3 years ago.
I had to remove the switch and dash to replace the battery (it was supposed to just drop out ).

To make a long story short I tripped and grabbed the handlebars, thereby moving the bars and front wheel. Uh-Oh

I made this unit and will see how it goes.

If anyone has any (good) suggestions on using it to re-align, TIA

Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 AM
jimmy carney
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check it out

You can go to home depot , get 4 dollar piece of aluminum quarter stock and beat out with hammer , file it or what ever and it works great,

Old 07-08-2022, 04:48 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Great video for the ignition switch and tool. Had to remove mine yesterday and as I so rarely do it (if ever), it seems to get misaligned each time. Making tool to save the hassle in future.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:18 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
Great video for the ignition switch and tool. Had to remove mine yesterday and as I so rarely do it (if ever), it seems to get misaligned each time. Making tool to save the hassle in future.
Or you can buy one on Amazon for $13 and do other things with your life.

Quick Reply: Video of ignition switch removal