Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Train Noise

Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Valve Train Noise

I have had one valve that would really knock @ 4000 RPM and above. I also had some lesser valve noise, mostly around 2000 RPM. I had picked up a set TP rocker boxes off of Ebay and ordered some .005 and .010 Shims. I measured the end play on the rocker arms before I removed them from the HD shafts. The front exhaust had .020 play. Others about .010. I put the rockers in the TP boxes and end play for rear cyl. was .006. The front was .008 and .010. The front two each got a .005 shim. No more knock @ 4000 + rpm's. Much quieter engine now.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:22 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Good deal!

The worst of your noise was likely the one @ .020, with the other three "chattering in" @ .010 from time to time. It really is amazing how much variance and slop you can find in the stock cast support plates.

As you increase cam lift, the amount of lateral force goes up as well due to the fact that the pushrods are angleswith respect to the rocker assembly.

"It's been my experience" that rockers in the TP boxes, S/E forged rocker supports, and the new Bob Wood support plate have much tighter fit and likely require no shimming at all ~ which is best.

Congrats on getting things quieted down!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Just wondering why you changed the rocker boxes, I know that HD recomends that u replace the rocker arm and support plate if the end play is greater than .025". I did a search and noticed i could not find shims for the HD rockers. Do they not make shims for the stock setup?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 09 EGC and had a 05 EGC before that and both have had about the same lifter noise. I've been told on previous occasions thats it's just a Harley, buy ear plugs. Is the lifter noise something I should be concerned about. I am a little concerned about the longevity of the harley motors. My 05 made it to 35000 mile before needing $2000 worth of cams and lifters. I hope this one makes it a little longer before major repairs

Old 12-30-2009, 04:23 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by rstekeur
I have an 09 EGC and had a 05 EGC before that and both have had about the same lifter noise. I've been told on previous occasions thats it's just a Harley, buy ear plugs. Is the lifter noise something I should be concerned about. I am a little concerned about the longevity of the harley motors. My 05 made it to 35000 mile before needing $2000 worth of cams and lifters. I hope this one makes it a little longer before major repairs
Its not the lifters or cams making the noise the lifters are hydraulic, its the rocker arms and valves you hear. The design is so ridged and there is no adjustment other than shims. I am having a hard time finding shims for the stock setup. I have a little chatter as well and it has been there since it was new. This is new and I would not worry about it unless you hear one that is louder that all the rest. I would like to shim the rockers up to get it a little quieter but if I cant find shims oh well its not that loud. As far as your last bike needing all that work I dont know what type of oil your using but the oil is the main factor in longevity with RPM being the next engine destroyer. If you keep that oil clean and rpm low you should be good for at least 60K or 70K.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:03 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Just wondering why you changed the rocker boxes, I know that HD recomends that u replace the rocker arm and support plate if the end play is greater than .025". I did a search and noticed i could not find shims for the HD rockers. Do they not make shims for the stock setup?
Yes the shims will work with the HD boxes. I changed to the TP boxes because I wanted to see if they were quiter. I also ordered some rocker shims so that I would have them when I changed the boxes. The shims were used on the Evo engine. I don't have the part number or the source with me today, I am humting in Tn. If you need the source just PM me. As of yet I have not had the time to hit the road with the new TP boxes and shims but the mod did get rid of the knock on front exhaust valve @ 4k plus rpm's. I did warm it up good of the table and it was quiter than before across the board. Happy New Year.

Last edited by rodeking; 01-01-2010 at 11:06 AM.