Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 09 Road King is Overheating

Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
It has happened twice in less than 3 weeks. It happened yesterday, temps outside were around 70 degrees. I'm taking it in to the dealer when I find time, cuz I'm sure they will need to keep it a few days. It is still under warranty so I'm not too worried. Only changes I have made are Vance/Hines Oval Slip-ons, air cleaner and Power Commander......Any reason for the overheating? I'm thinking something to do with oil circulation, because I have been complaining about the constant ticking, which is getting louder.
How do we know when our bike is overheating? It can't only be the heat from the engine. Other than the engine shutting down, is there an indicator lamp for overheating? I mean, when I rode my first Harley and air cooled engine, I thought it was overheating.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The bike should go into parade mode (EITMS) when it gets too hot, which should keep it from overheating. My FLHR hasn't gone into parade mode since I added a PCV.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 AM
vtxkc
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Parade mode can be turned off and on by the owner though, right? According to my Owners manual it comes from the factory disabled and the owner can enable it.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Air/Fuel Ratio
No, No, No. I was specifically told on this forum at AFR is:

1. A fat rider
2. Absolutely f***in rediculous
3. The red **** next to the black one when you reach altitude.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the 09 model can be turn on & off by the operator. The earlier models couldn't without the dealer doing it. I leave mine "ON" all the time. It has no effect on the bikes operation until it gets to around 279 degrees. Then only when the bike is not moving.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Air/Fuel Ratio
Thanks !.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 PM
1st Shirt
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Road King Parade Mode

My 2010 King went to Limp/Parade Mode in light Traffic in December. I had similar problems During summer riding but the ECM provided error codes so I could chase down the issue. I had a loss of a connection at the EFI connector and lack of Dia-o Grease. Today the Bike went into Limp mode in very cool weather. It reset once I shut the bike down for a few seconds. It repeated the limp mode after 2 or 3 miles. any Ideas ? I have a stage one with Rhinehart exhaust. I did not get any error codes on these resent events and have no clue where to look.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:21 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcgeesr
Yes, the 09 model can be turn on & off by the operator. The earlier models couldn't without the dealer doing it. I leave mine "ON" all the time. It has no effect on the bikes operation until it gets to around 279 degrees. Then only when the bike is not moving.
Are you saying the 'parade mode' depends on oil temperature? and nothing to do with head temps? Just asking...

Old 01-06-2015, 09:24 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have yet to here what is exactly happening. what leads you to believe it has overheated?

Here is something that happened to me on a road trip last year. My bike would die while i had the clutch pulled while down shifting. I'm not sure what your symptoms are other than a hot engine. but below is a thread i created

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...to-a-stop.html

Last edited by brutalbrad; 01-06-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:27 AM
Jaachap
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
It has happened twice in less than 3 weeks. It happened yesterday, temps outside were around 70 degrees. I'm taking it in to the dealer when I find time, cuz I'm sure they will need to keep it a few days. It is still under warranty so I'm not too worried. Only changes I have made are Vance/Hines Oval Slip-ons, air cleaner and Power Commander......Any reason for the overheating? I'm thinking something to do with oil circulation, because I have been complaining about the constant ticking, which is getting louder.
when's the last time your oil was changed? If its been a while you could have clogged oil port or screen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 09 Road King is Overheating