Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Hang Around
Default Issues with 2010 Street Glide?

Workin' on moving from my '02 Fatboy to a Glide... either an '09 or '10 as I want to take advantage of the frame improvements.
I do like the looks of the 2010 - I'm a 2 into 1 exhaust fan, and I like the looks of the rear fender w/out the external tail light. Thing is I've heard some negative comments about the catalytics in the exhaust and something about the 02 sensors. How big an issue(s) are these - really?
I know that if I pull the trigger on a new(er) bike, there won't be much ching left to make a bunch of changes for awhile, so I'd better be happy with what I buy. I think that every model year has it's "issues" - real or imagined...
If I were to find a new or low mileage '09 I would definately go to a 2 into 1 pipe anyway.
So, whaddya guys & gals think - are the issues with the 2010's something that'll have to be dealt with / cause problems down the road? I do like the looks of 'em...
thanks in advance,
Rando
Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't think you could go wrong with either, I'm not a 2 into 1 exhaust fan. I just don't think it looks right without 2 mufflers. JMHO

2009 Street Glide Red Hot Sunglo, PCV, Rinharts, SE Air cleaner
Old 01-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Club Member

My '10 SG is one of the best handling bikes I've ever ridden and the fit and finish is excellent also. As a 50 state EPA compliant set up it runs lean and hot. Immediate mods will be to exhaust (to get rid of the cat and get more of the traditional sound), high flow intake, and EFI, mainly to get the temps. down. Otherwise I'm very happy with it and not much I plan to change.

2014 Street Glide Special with NO Stripes!
2010 Softail Deluxe with stuff - SOLD
2010 Street Glide with more stuff - SOLD
2004 Ducati ST4S - Gone but not forgotten
Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Plan on getting a full exhaust to help cure the hot/lean condition along with a tuner and air filter setup. Aside from that you will be good to go.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Can't go wrong with either year

What color do you want? I really wanted a RB SG, but was not willing to pay more for an 09 than a 2010. What ever you choose, both years are good. Get Cruise, ABS and security.

2010 FLHX Denim Black
Bub 7 True Duals/ SE AC/ PC V with AutoTune/
Woods TW6-6 Cams /KW 6.5 Windshield
SE Compensator /Barnett Clutch
Soundstream PN4.520 Amp/Polk MM 651
CVO extended bags
Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Road Captain

the 2010 has the 18 frt wheel & clean looking rear fender...
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Hang Around

If'n I go with the 2010 and swap out the exhaust, what's involved in pulling the cats - are they located in the exhaust itself or in the heads where the exhaust mounts?
Never thought I'd consider any other color than black, but (gulp) I do like the looks of the Scarlet Red...
How much hotter do the '10's tend to run with the cats?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Road Warrior

The cats are in the head pipe, you can drill them out, you can send them out to Fulsac & they will cut them out or you can cut them out yourself, do a search as all have been discussed here. Otherwise you can just go with a full exhaust & keep the stock set-up should you ever have to pass a smog test. All the newer bikes run hot because they run so lean, you just need to free up the air going in & the exhaust going out, then you need a good tune to richen them up. Both years are good & you'll have to do most of the same things to both to make them better.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 PM

P

Tags
2009, 2010, air, cleaner, davidson, exhaust, full, glide, harley, hot, issues, negative, problems, red, reviews, street