Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch up Paint

Old 07-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch up Paint

Ok, so my bag tops are a little scratched up, so I got some touch up paint. The rich red and then the clear coat. Can anyone tell me the best way to apply this?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Touch up Paint

HD,

You can apply the paint either with the brush it should come with or you can also use a Q-tip and dab it on until you fill the scratch.

Then I would recommend calling this number 1-800-428-4300 and order a Norton Paint Chip/Scratch Kit Part #NOR-37913 it sells for about $30.00 and comes with everything you need to wet sand and polish back to a new looking finish.

I had a pretty bad chip on my Fatboy and had seen this product on the show Dream Car Garage and I ordered one and followed the instructions to a tee and I can't even find the chip and I know where it was.

Good Luck,
Thundercloud

Old 07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

Wow! You can't even tell where it was?! That would be wonderful. Do you suppose the local body shops would have the same kind of thing you are talking about?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:42 PM
wuznme
Cruiser

wet sand 1500 grit

apply color with toothpick

wet sand 1500 grit

apply color with toothpick

wet sand 1500 grit

apply clear with toothpick

wet sand 1500 grit

apply clear with toothpick

wet sand 1500 grit

use buffer to buff after a 2-3 days curing.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master

I don't know if a body shop would have it but a body supply place might?? The place I gave you the number to will ship it right out I had mine in about 3 days. What makes it nice is that the kit gives you a small sanding block, different grades of sand paper and buffing pads to fit on this down sized kit so you can work on a small area witout have to sand stuff you may not need or want to, plus the proper compound and polish and even a microfiber towel.

I have used it on my bike and my car. Worth the $30 bucks to me anyway.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master

Here's the info on it. http://www.crestnetsales.com/newproducts2.htm

Norton Chip and Scratch Repair Kitâ„¢

as seen on Dream Car Garage

The kit includes everything needed to repair a chip or scratch (except the OE matched paint). The instructions are included in the kit.

How to use the kit:

Clean chipped or scratched area with clear coat friendly solvent to remove any wax buildup or contaminants. This will insure a good bond between the touch up paint and repair area.

Consult your owners manual or contact your automotive manufacturer for the correct color match touch up paint for your particular vehicle's make and model.

Be sure to apply enough touch up paint so that the paint slightly overlaps the actual chip or scratched area. Also the touch up paint should be slightly higher than the original paint surface around it. Let air dry for 24 hrs before sanding.

Apply a 2500 Black Ice Speed-Grip gray disc to the hand sanding pad. Spray a fine mist of water on repair area as a sanding lubricant. Using small circular motions, sand repair area until touch up paint is level with original paint surface. It is important that the disc remain flat on the surface and that the area is not over sanded. Wipe sanding residue off with the Blue Magnet Wipe.

Apply the 3000 grit Micro-Finishing Film Speed-Grip pink disc to the hand sanding pad. Repeat previous instructions for the 2500 grit, slightly overlaping the previously sanded area.

Apply the black wool Speed-Grip pad to the hand sanding pad. Apply a drop of Clear Choice 02B compound to the wool pad. Again, using small circular motions, slightly overlap previously sanded area for one to two minutes. Wipe residue off with the Blue Magnet Wipe. You should now see that the repair area has an even, dull appearance and the deeper sanding marks are no longer visible.

Repeat previous instructions for Clear Choice 02B compound, next with the blue foam Speed-Grip pad, and finally with the white foam Speed-Grip pad. Continue to polish repair area until it looks similar to the rest of the car. Repeat Clear Choice 02B polishing procedure until desired results are achieved.

To complete the process, apply gray foam Speed-Grip pad to the hand sanding pad. Shake Superior Gloss Enhancer well before using and then apply a drop to the gray foam pad. Apply to the repaired area, using small circular motions. Wait one minute and then wipe off excess with the Blue Magnet Wipe. Apply again after 24 hours for a deeper wet-look shine.

Stock # NOR 37913 - $25.74

Old 07-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

Thanks, Wuz and Thunder. Hopefully I won't be able to see where she was chipped up either!