Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many ride without the crash bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't care for the looks of it, but I am leaving it on because I have a $500.00 insurance deductible.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:53 PM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harley-jones
I don't care for the looks of it, but I am leaving it on because I have a $500.00 insurance deductible.
Black it out...

Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought often of removing mine, fortunately I did not, as my wife and I went down this past summer. They spared us a lot of injury and also prevented the bike from having much damage. As it was the bike still suffered over $5000.00 in damages. The bars are there for a reason.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where would I mount my lowers and my highway pegs? They're stayin put.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have thought about taking it off, but I know as soon as I do it will go over. It doesn't look all that bad

Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
tangeloglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
1st off .... If you can't take a corner without 'draging your engine guard' ... I'm think'n the engine guard is not what is dangerous. I can see scraping your foot peg first .. you'd have to be into a reallly aggressive lean to scrape the engine guard.

2nd ly ... If you ever do lay down your bike while travelling down the road .. THAT engine guard may very well save your engine, tank, fender etc from getting REALLY beat up ... not to mention your own skin. It's designed to hold the bike up a bit so any thing underneath it won't get damaged.

I wiped out on a bike once ... Had I not had an engine guard ... Well I can only imagine what would have happened to my leg because I pretty much road out the skid with my leg trapped underneath it.

THAT engine guard saved my leg ... not to mention the bike itself!
You can hit an engine guard (crash bar) before your floor boards depending on the camber and grade of the apex of your turn. There was a great article in Motorcyclist magazine a couple years ago where they took action photos of people crashing in turns while riding the Dragon in order to show what people did wrong to cause the crash. Many of those crashes showed people dragging their crash bars and lifting the rear tire...

Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

You really want to take the guards off because they scrape?? Whatever floats your boat.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I took mine off for a short time, then I had a moment of clarity and put it back on.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:37 PM
tangeloglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by leckmc
You really want to take the guards off because they scrape?? Whatever floats your boat.
No. I don't want to find myself on the pavement because they may cantilever my tires off the ground if I come into a corner too hot. I can and have scraped pegs and mufflers through turns without incident.

Here's a pic from one of the crashes in the Motorcyclist article. This guy was fine as he scraped his floorboard, then his engine guard caught, his tires were lifted off the ground and he was history.

Attached Thumbnails How many ride without the crash bar?-146_0706_16_z-random_crashes-left_rear.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM
dhincc
Road Master

Originally Posted by tangeloglide
You can hit an engine guard (crash bar) before your floor boards depending on the camber and grade of the apex of your turn. There was a great article in Motorcyclist magazine a couple years ago where they took action photos of people crashing in turns while riding the Dragon in order to show what people did wrong to cause the crash. Many of those crashes showed people dragging their crash bars and lifting the rear tire...
Meanwhile ... back in the real world ...

This is the TOURING section of the forum. It's for folks that ride TOURING bikes. If you're leaning one of these things far enough to scrape the crash bar, most likely you were already done anyway. If I rode a crotch rocket, then no, I most likely wouldn't have a large chrome bar around my engine. I don't, so I do!

Ride S-A-F-E!!! (Don't lean far enough over to scrape your crash bar!)

Quick Reply: How many ride without the crash bar?