Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE-255 and HQ-500 cam comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default SE-255 and HQ-500 cam comparison

Many will recall the cam comparison on Head-Quarters' website last year comparing the SE 255 and HQ 500 cams on a 2007 Police Electra Glide (i.e. factory 103" engine). It was a neat comparison done by an HD dealer: same bike, same dyno tuner, same dyno, etc; only the cams were changed and the bike retuned.

HQ changed its website and the comparison came off the website. Since many have asked about this comparison, I got in touch with Kevin from HQ and he found the original material from the website. It's presented below:

http://

"Build Info
• 2007 FLHTPI (Police Model Touring)
• Stock unmodified top end
• HQ-TC500-HC Cams vs SE255 Cams
Rinehart True Dual exhaust
• Tuned with a Race Tuner

The Story
One of our dealers (who is a Harley-Davidson Dealer) decided to put the Head Quarters HQ-TC500-HC cam to the test against a Screamin Eagle 255 cam as a bolt in on an otherwise unmodified motor with Rinehart True Duals and Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner.

To serve as a control, the pipes and air cleaner were installed and the bike was properly tuned before the cam swap. The results were 76.65hp and 89.06tq. The first test was to install the SE255 cam and retune. The results were 81.00hp and 96.07tq. The final test was to install the Head Quarters HQ-TC500-HC cams. The results were 86.51hp and 103.35tq.

It's important to point out that the test was unsolicited, unbiased and the tune performed by the exact same technician, in the exact same environment, on the exact same dyno, with the exact same motorcycle.

When comparing the Head Quarters cam to the SE255, one of the higher performing SE cams, there was an increase of 5.5 hp and almost 7.5 tq.

Great job Dusty...we greatly appreciate the feedback and your objective point of view."

This information is posted for information purposes only. I'm not dissing anyone who has SE 255 cams in their bike or trying to sell anyone HQ cams. And while peak numbers may change from dyno to dyno, etc., the dyno sheet provides an interesting relative comparison of the cams and you may make of it what you will.

Carl

PS: I have had HQ-0034 cams (same cam as the HQ 500, but for the 88" TC), Rinehart TD's and SE a/c on an otherwise stock bike for 2+ years/25K miles and haven't thought about a 95" build since the cam installation.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 01-05-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Confirming the engine is the factory 103" on police models
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 AM
INZANE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW... impressive... i only wish that when i was building my motor, there wasn't that turbulence going on in HQ's business... i would have probably ended up with one of their kits

Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

real nice numbers for basically just a cam swap, take it that since it was a flhtp bike that it had the factory 103 not 96 incher

Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for posting that. I had seen it some time ago, and went back recently to look for it and was dismayed that it had been pulled from the site. I wonder what the dyno charts would have looked with a 2-1 exhaust (or even the stock headers).

Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the posting. I am definitely doing the cam swap late Jan. I was going for the 255's but after seeing this dyno sheet I think I am going to look at the 500.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
real nice numbers for basically just a cam swap, take it that since it was a flhtp bike that it had the factory 103 not 96 incher
Leo, I edited the origial post to confirm it's the factory 103" used on police model Electra Glides.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Leo, I edited the origial post to confirm it's the factory 103" used on police model Electra Glides.
still real nice numbers, wonder what harley dealer it was that did the tune?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Many will recall the cam comparison on Head-Quarters' website last year comparing the SE 255 and HQ 500 cams on a 2007 Police Electra Glide (i.e. factory 103" engine). It was a neat comparison done by an HD dealer: same bike, same dyno tuner, same dyno, etc; only the cams were changed and the bike retuned.

HQ changed its website and the comparison came off the website. Since many have asked about this comparison, I got in touch with Kevin from HQ and he found the original material from the website. It's presented below:

http://

"Build Info
• 2007 FLHTPI (Police Model Touring)
• Stock unmodified top end
• HQ-TC500-HC Cams vs SE255 Cams
Rinehart True Dual exhaust
• Tuned with a Race Tuner

The Story
One of our dealers (who is a Harley-Davidson Dealer) decided to put the Head Quarters HQ-TC500-HC cam to the test against a Screamin Eagle 255 cam as a bolt in on an otherwise unmodified motor with Rinehart True Duals and Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner.

To serve as a control, the pipes and air cleaner were installed and the bike was properly tuned before the cam swap. The results were 76.65hp and 89.06tq. The first test was to install the SE255 cam and retune. The results were 81.00hp and 96.07tq. The final test was to install the Head Quarters HQ-TC500-HC cams. The results were 86.51hp and 103.35tq.

It's important to point out that the test was unsolicited, unbiased and the tune performed by the exact same technician, in the exact same environment, on the exact same dyno, with the exact same motorcycle.

When comparing the Head Quarters cam to the SE255, one of the higher performing SE cams, there was an increase of 5.5 hp and almost 7.5 tq.

Great job Dusty...we greatly appreciate the feedback and your objective point of view."

This information is posted for information purposes only. I'm not dissing anyone who has SE 255 cams in their bike or trying to sell anyone HQ cams. And while peak numbers may change from dyno to dyno, etc., the dyno sheet provides an interesting relative comparison of the cams and you may make of it what you will.

Carl

PS: I have had HQ-0034 cams (same cam as the HQ 500, but for the 88" TC), Rinehart TD's and SE a/c on an otherwise stock bike for 2+ years/25K miles and haven't thought about a 95" build since the cam installation.
Carl, check that number in RED. If my old eyes serve me correctly I think it's supposed to be 75 or 76hp and 92tq for the SE255's post dyno run? Correct? I can barely make it out myself. LOL

Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the HQ0034 cam in my 88" Police Road King, and the power improvement has been great. I have only "briefly" considered doing additional motor work. I enjoy the rideability, and am hoping to get some time for a proper dyno tune come spring.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any idea how the HQ500 and Wood TW6-6 compare?

Quick Reply: SE-255 and HQ-500 cam comparison