Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable tour pac on a 08 ultra classic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 PM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default detachable tour pac on a 08 ultra classic?

Has anyone installed the detachable tour pac on a 08 ultra classic? What did you do with the wiring harness for the audio, break light.....ect ? I want both worlds. Have the tour pac when my wife rides and have the street glide look when she stays home.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Bengo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did it to mine, take velco and to replace zip ties on the frame then use the same velco to coil it up under the seat. Hope that makes sense.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Code37HD
Stage IV

Bill1nat, I just posted the same question yesterday but I can't find my thread! I have an 08 Ultra Classic and want to put on the detachable tour pac but I'm just wondering about all that wiring (am/fm, CB, lights, passenger intercom) and if there's anywhere to put it out of sight. I don't want to go through with this project until I know. If you get any responses could you please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by Code37HD; 01-06-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

There have been a lot of threads on this in the past. I have been kicking the idea around since I got my 02 Ultra three years ago. I have spent the last few days looking at the kits for the 09 and up trying to see if I can make some of the parts from that work.

I know the detachable rack will mount to the Ultra. I know that I can use the AM/FM antenna relocator kit without any issues. My biggest question is wheather or not the wiring for the Classic or the newer Ultras (wiring for the lights) will work on the 02. Both kits look the same as far as the wiring goes. The cable for the CB is available separately, but, there is no bracket to mount it to. There is the setup for the Road Glide, but, the bracket is black and mounts in a differant place than the AM/FM. I am thinking about seeing if the is a way to make a bracket that mirrors the AM/FM and then have it chromed to match.

Any ideas if the wiring will work for the lights? Any thoughts on having a bracket made?

bill1nat, it can be done with many different options. Just wait for the replies.

Neil
RDMC

Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Code37HD
Stage IV

Hello Neil, it sounds like you've done your homework. If you noticed my question do you know if there's anyway of hiding all the wiring? I noticed it mentioned AM/FM relocation but I don't even know what that is. Before I spend the money I just want to make sure it'll look clean. Any help? Thanks.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Bengo
Cruiser

In the kit there is a relocator and there is enough room to drill and mount the cb atenna to also. I used a 1foot pice of velco 1 inch wide cut in half then split up the middle and used those as my new zip ties, also to coil up wires when pack is off and place under seat. The rear speakers pull the wires and you'll feel the quick release you can pull that out of the slit and release with no other mods. also the rest of the other wires come out easy, once you take the tour pac liner out youll see. Ill try to post pics

Last edited by Bengo; 01-06-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Code37HD,

You can do away with the antennas all together by using powered hidden antennas mounted inside the fairing. J&M has a new one for use with the CB. Harleypingman has one and has used it on group rides with short distances. Tha way there you won't have any antennas at all to worry about. The relocation kit moves the antenna to a mount on the detachable hardware. It allows you to plug the antenna in when the tour pack is on and you mount the whip on the Tour Pack. When the Tour Pack is off you mount the antenna on the remote mount. Check the parts book online or at the dealer.

For me I want to keep the wiring as stock as possible without cutting etc... I have looked at pics of the wiring set up for the Classic and it seems to be the same one for the newer Ultras. The may be some "light" cutting, but it is according to the MOCO. Hoping someone has some info on this. Does anyone know if there is a patch cable that could be used on the CB antenna that would be short enough to allow for a quick unplug to remove the Tour Pack?

Good luck,
Neil
RDMC

Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Code37HD
Stage IV

Neil, Thanks for the info! Sounds like I might be getting in over my head with this project. I, like you, would like to keep the wiring as stock as possible but it sounds like quite a chore. Thanks again for the help!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

About the J&M CB antenna, I've been pleased with it for group rides. Most recently on a New Year's Day ride with 21 bikes the CB worked great with a typical range from me (as the lead bike) to the sweep covering 1/4-1/2 mile over 40+miles of the ride.

An interesting feature of the J&M CB in-fairing antenna is that the "box" that has the antenna lead that attaches to the CB module, also has a short antenna cable that you can connnect to the factory CB antenna lead and use your Tour Pak mounted CB when you have the tour pak on the bike and the CB antenna connected at the tour pak. Seems like the best of both worlds. Since I don't use a CB antenna on my Ultra tour pak, I can't say how this dual CB antenna rig works. Just thought it's worth noting.

IIRC, HD sells a CB cable/adapter for use in the tour pak to make it easier to disconnect the CB antenna at the tour pak.

Good luck with your projects.

Carl

Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

does anyone have any pictures of how it would look with the detachable rack mount

Quick Reply: detachable tour pac on a 08 ultra classic?