Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 AM
08HD
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem...REPLACE STARTER!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
I've got my 08 street glide in at the HD shop for the second time for starter noise. The first time they tightened the starter bolts, but still had the noise.

This time they say they want to put a SE compensator on it. I'll have to pay $75. for the difference in cost between a stock one and a SE. From what I read here, it seems like it's worth the investment so I'll let them do it.

I really have doubts about it curing the problem though. It sounded like a typical Harley when it started for the first year and a half, but slowly started to crash and clang after that. Sometimes it turns over good and doesn't make any noise, but some times there is a grinding of metal on a regular cadence of probably less than 2 seconds.

It's embarressing to have people turn and stare because the bike is making all that grinding/clashing noise.

Any way my question is, does anyone know what the problem is or have an opinion about if the compensator will take care of it?
Thanks in advance.
As others have chimed in, it's unlikely the compensator will address the problem. I suppose to appease them, you can have them do it and then see if the noise is still there, which it will be. I'd then scream like a banshee that they fix it properly, with a new starter. I suspect that you had the problem described in the Service Bulletin, they tightened the bolts, but it was too late as the starter has been damaged because of it and will not go away until replaced. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What if the compensator is creating the starter problem? The stock compensator is known to be weaker than the SE compensator. My starting "clunk and various other noises" DID NOT go away with the new starter, it started better but, all the noises went away after the SE compensator was installed.

There is clearly an issue with the stock compensator whether you have had the problem or not, many here have. And the ones who replaced theirs with the SE have noticed the noises are gone. Just like the wheel bearing issues, some have had them and some not. Same with the fairing bracket some have, some not. Radios, oil leaks, starters, brake squeals and you can go on and on. Harley takes the stand they will only repair / replace on a case by case.

The point is this. Not everyone is experiencing the same issues, so don't be too quick to dispel someone else's problems.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,963 Likes on 1,714 Posts

I've expressed my opinion on the compensator issue before. I took mine out and replaced with the EVO 30 tooth sprocket, which is non-compensating so to speak. I honestly believe that the compensator (especially in conjunction with the IDS) is doing more harm to the bike. It wouldn't surprise me if the compensator was leading to starter issues. HD increased the tolerances for the crank runout and the compensator is what is attached to the backside of the crank. I could be way off base, but I have been doing my own little surveys as I see things posted about various mishaps. I don't (knock on wood) even suffer from broken fairing brackets or supports without the compensator. I would love to be in a position (such as the MOCO) to be able to study all the variables.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:50 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default update

Originally Posted by smokindave
What if the compensator is creating the starter problem? The stock compensator is known to be weaker than the SE compensator. My starting "clunk and various other noises" DID NOT go away with the new starter, it started better but, all the noises went away after the SE compensator was installed.

There is clearly an issue with the stock compensator whether you have had the problem or not, many here have. And the ones who replaced theirs with the SE have noticed the noises are gone. Just like the wheel bearing issues, some have had them and some not. Same with the fairing bracket some have, some not. Radios, oil leaks, starters, brake squeals and you can go on and on. Harley takes the stand they will only repair / replace on a case by case.

The point is this. Not everyone is experiencing the same issues, so don't be too quick to dispel someone else's problems.
Smokindave nailed it.
I got the bike back (finally) and it's starting sweeter than it ever has. I will say though that I still suspect my starter drive is not as good as it was when it was new. It just seems to have a lot less resistance when it turns the engine over, so it's not an issue.

Whether that is true or not, it's working great now.
Cost me 80 bucks to upgrade to the SE compensater.

I'm a happy camper now.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,343 Likes on 3,278 Posts

Took mine to the Dealer, they did the TSB, noise came back...i will take it back.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my starter replaced twice for the same issue on my 08 SG. This was done by two different dealers neither of which blinked an eye when I made the complaint; the first one heard the noise when I came in for a routine service.

The second time around I pulled into Rossemeyer’s and complained about it telling them it just now started. The Service Writer must have hit the starter 20 times before it made any noise but he knew exactly what I was talking about and as soon as he heard a little grind he had the starter replaced.

Each starter went about 22,000 miles.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Starter

Originally Posted by SA315B
I had my starter replaced twice for the same issue on my 08 SG. This was done by two different dealers neither of which blinked an eye when I made the complaint; the first one heard the noise when I came in for a routine service.

The second time around I pulled into Rossemeyer’s and complained about it telling them it just now started. The Service Writer must have hit the starter 20 times before it made any noise but he knew exactly what I was talking about and as soon as he heard a little grind he had the starter replaced.

Each starter went about 22,000 miles.
That's funny, I got 22,400 on mine.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Snowman88
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My 08 has developed a similar problem with grinding and clanking when starting. Anyone have a picture of the compensator nut, how would this correct the problem. It acts like a couple teeth are broken off because it only fails once in a while.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Mine is is the shop right now for this...I asked the Service Mgr. and he said the the Moco said the compensator issues or clutch baskets issues that just caused a bit of noise was not covered under warranty unless it failed. So many of them made the noise so MOCO said not covered unless a failure. I just want to have it fixed so i can ride...I want the noise and the grind to be gone and then i will play it by ear....
Had my compensator and rotor replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago. It didn't fail but was making a heck of a racket. It all depends on which dealer you go to.

Quick Reply: starter noise