Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

Bike been back in the shop for 2 weeks now...replaced the starter , same problem...they ordered a new bracket to improve the ground .,..installed and no old me he would call me tomorrow...i told them about the stuff i heard about the compensator??? will see....I want my bike back but i want it right...i may ask them for a loaner bike to ride Sunday...

Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Missing teeth on the clutch basket or pinion gear ..all 1 piece on my 103.. I replaced the entire clutch basket because there are not any after market parts for this and while I was in there replaced the old with a new SE compensator..it seems to be working fine..

Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I see this issue has been with the 07's and 08's, anyone experience the starter issues with their 09's and 10's?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Well talked to the dealer today and all electrical and ground issues have been eliminated now...They ordered a new compensator and they will try this next....They are letting me use a loaner Ultra for the weekend...picking it up tomorrow morning...well it may be a rOAD GLIDE...I don't care, i am tired of riding my wife Suzuki Volusia800....Kinda small....

Old 07-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Glidiator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 08 SG just turned 2 years last weekend and this afternoond going to lunch, I got the grinding and not wanting to start...sounds NASTY and almost didn't start..happened twice. The 3rd time, I started in gear and no noise and the bike started right up. I have extended warranty...Does anyone know if this is covered under extended warranty?
Thanks all...

Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A several year experienced H-d tech at a local dealership said that a SE compensator has nothign to do with the starter working correctly.

I'm getting the starter on my '09 Ultra Classic replaced also.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glidiator
My 08 SG just turned 2 years last weekend and this afternoond going to lunch, I got the grinding and not wanting to start...sounds NASTY and almost didn't start..happened twice. The 3rd time, I started in gear and no noise and the bike started right up. I have extended warranty...Does anyone know if this is covered under extended warranty?
Thanks all...
Yep, It's covered for 50 bucks.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I know now the high torque starter has just masked the problem...It's funny, my fuel pump primes and i try to start and it farts then woun't start...i will let the pump prime again and then it will start fine...

Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I know now the high torque starter has just masked the problem...It's funny, my fuel pump primes and i try to start and it farts then woun't start...i will let the pump prime again and then it will start fine...
me too. starting to think its a compression issue

Old 08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
FlatLine-Dean
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to be having the clunking problem but when I called the local dealer I was told they knew nothing about starter issues. I called a second dealer in another city and was told it would take between 3 and 4 hours to upgrade to the SE compensator. No warranty on my bike so it will be hundreds of dollars to repair. Any suggestions,

Quick Reply: starter noise