Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spectro 6 speed trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
slankard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spectro 6 speed trans fluid

My local HD dealer (Black Diamond HD in Marion, Illinois) suggests I switch my tranny to Spectro 6 speed fluid that they have now started to handle it is a 75w -140 GL5 fluid. They change my fluids for free for another 6 months (part of the selling deal). I am coming up on my 20,000 mile service. Has any one used this fluid before? I do not want to start a which oil is best fight!! As long as they are providing it for free I just wanted your thoughts.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slankard
My local HD dealer (Black Diamond HD in Marion, Illinois) suggests I switch my tranny to Spectro 6 speed fluid that they have now started to handle it is a 75w -140 GL5 fluid. They change my fluids for free for another 6 months (part of the selling deal). I am coming up on my 20,000 mile service. Has any one used this fluid before? I do not want to start a which oil is best fight!! As long as they are providing it for free I just wanted your thoughts.
I'd say it should work, as you have a 6 speed. Now my RK is a 5 speed and that would cause the oil to have a molecular imbalance at a point where the missing 6th gear would have been located. This inturn would cause a pressure backwash through the gear cluster
and make the use of a bagger brace manditory to control gearbox pitching.

Thank goodness you will avoid all these problems !

Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 PM
dFREDb
Club Member

Originally Posted by hornhonker
I'd say it should work, as you have a 6 speed. Now my RK is a 5 speed and that would cause the oil to have a molecular imbalance at a point where the missing 6th gear would have been located. This inturn would cause a pressure backwash through the gear cluster
and make the use of a bagger brace manditory to control gearbox pitching.

Thank goodness you will avoid all these problems !
Now that is some funny chit!!!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 PM
CroK
Banned

Baker included a bottle of spectro in the gearset I put in. Although they do seem to have switched which brand they recommend, (I'm not going to venture a guess as to why), and they do have a list of equal quality oils which will not void their warranty in the instructionn sheet. I don't have the experience other than the last 1,000 miles to say how good it actually is, but I would tend to think their endorsement says something...

Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

At the 1000 mile service I put in Redline Shockproof Heavy. And then at the recommendation of another forum, I put the Spectro 6-Speed tranny fluid in at the 5000 mark. I drained it out 1000 miles later. It's not at all that it's a bad fluid, but it's noticeably more noisy than the Redline. Shifts were more clunky, although still better than the Forumula+ though. Anyway, I poured the Redline SPH back in, and was once again a happy camper.

I think my experience has to so with the climate where I live. I'm in the desert area of southern California. And the Spectro is thinner than the Redline. But because it's pretty warm year-round here, I think that the thicker Redline does well for me. The thinner Spectro just didn't provide the noise dampening of the Redline... Now if I was in a cold climate, then I'd probably go with the thinner Spectro.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:52 AM
m50
Cruiser

Slankard, I have run the spectro 6-speed gear oil before [ got it from DD Cycle ] and had no problems with it at all.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:08 AM
hrchdog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slankard i've been running spectro in all three holes since 2500 miles on my 09SG, I think it makes finding nuetral easier. I just saw the other day that Black Diamond was carrying it, i've been getting it from a local indy.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's funny how different Dealers will suggest different lubes for the same engine. The Dealer where I bought my 09 EGC recommended BelRay 75-140
for the tranny and Formula+ for the primary. They had regular Dino in the motor. At my 1000 service, I switched to Amsoil 20-50 for the motor, Amsoil 75-90 tranny and primary. I liked the Amsoil. I could tell a big difference when I left the dealer. I sold that bike and bought the 08 UC I have now. After reading what some of the experienced rider's are using on here, I'm switching to Mobil1 20-50 engine. mobil1 75-90 tranny and mobil1 ATF for the primary. IMO, I don't think there's a better combination.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

I run Spectro Platinum 6 Speed gear lube in my '07 Streetglide. I like it just fine. That stuff costs me $18.00 a quart. I use Bel Ray Hypoid gear lube in a Screamin' Eagle 6 speed in my '02 and it's less than $9.00 a quart. They're both GL5 rated. If you're getting it free that's a great deal. For what it's worth Baker does recommend the Spectro.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 AM
wildeano
Tourer

Ive been running the spectro 6 speed oil in tranny for the last 20,000 miles in my electraglide,,,, 2 of the local indy shops carry it,,, one of them carries only spectro oils for every application....

Quick Reply: spectro 6 speed trans fluid