Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked tour pack trunk !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Will-N-Missouri
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked tour pack trunk !!!

I bought a used trunk to put on my streetglide when I travel, the problem is: The trunk's corner has a crack in it...a bad crack and I was told that a fiberglass kit wont work becouse the trunk is made of plastic glass? I was wondering what would be best to use?....apoxy jb weld...bondo?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:50 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

I've seen guys use a splint on the inside with jbWeld.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Will-N-Missouri
Advanced

That was what I was thinking but, I am going to have to seal the crack so I can paint it.....I need to use something that I will be able to sand down and make it smooth so when I paint it ...it will look good.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting! Bump!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:52 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

....... i'm glad someone brought this up, as i'm getting a hairline crack near the front hinge that i'd like to address before it starts to move.
..... what kind of material would ya'll use for a splint ?
.... thanks again to all the riders who lend their knowledge to this forum !

Old 01-17-2010, 08:02 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Try Plast-aid, Google it and call their office and ask them if it will work. VERY nice small business!! I talked to the owner/inventer!! They can ship direct.I used it to fix a leak in a hot tub and i got to say the stuff is incredible!!!! It is a powder that you mix with a liquid and you can make it paste like (Peanut butter)and form it.Takes about 10 minutes to fully set up,but once it sets it is good to go!! It can be colored also!!It is not a patch but bonds with material.It can be sanded!! Don't know about paint though? If you go this route PLEASE P.M. me and give me results!!
I am in no way affiliated with this product just found it to be great stuff!!!!.....

Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive repaired bags and fairings with regular body filler after reinforcing the back side. Body filler will work to fill the crack.. You might try abs plastic cement and a patch on the back side of the crack or you could use fiberglass cloth and resin and it will hold if its not too badly broke but I have found the abs glue and an abs patchworks best . Im not really sure what the H/D bags are made of but it sure looks like ABS .

Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Does anybody wonder where those cracks come from?...The ones that I have seen usually have a tour pak rack mounted on them...With heavy loads mounted on the rack and opening them with the load still attached to the rack will cause the tour pak to crack around the hinge area.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Razerman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Repairs for inside a trunk or saddle bag can be made, this is one I used and it worked.

The crack should be stop-drilled before the crack is patched. Stop-drilling will help prevent the crack from spreading further after repairs and relieves the stress.

To stop-drill a crack, drill a small 1/8 inch hole directly in front of the cracks path,, about 1/8th inch ahead of the cracks path,, the crack will find this hole and relieve the stress and stop the crack in its tracks. Sand the inside of the repair area and wipe down with a rag dipped in lacquer thinner and let dry.
Lay down a cover of adhesive (2-part) spread the adhesive wider than the crack edges by about 2 inches then cover the adhesive with a thin plastic plate,(plastic milk jug), then cover with another layer of adhesive and smooth out the edges.
Working with the adhesive quickly will give you the best bond, (don't mix a hot batch) allow time for it to harden in a warm room and you should be ready to finish if needed inside and outside. hope this helps you.
R.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Seems to me you need to determine if the tour pack is fiberglass or plastic and then figure out what repair works best for that material.

Quick Reply: cracked tour pack trunk !!!