Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear bra paint protection?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Question Clear bra paint protection?

I was just wondering if anybody has put one of the clear 3M adhesive film paint protection systems (bras) on their bike and, if so, your opinion of it. Pros/cons?

Seems like it would be a good investment to protect the finish of the most damage-prone painted surfaces - fairing, lowers, bag tops etc.

I'm guessing they're a gigantic PITA to install properly, but it seems like it might be worth it.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am all about clear bras!!! however, I would likt to know if the 3m stuff works too.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

I've got the Motorcycle Armour on my saddlebag lids and they do a great job preventing scratches from the accidental bumps that are bound to occur. You do need a good installer and the right temp outside (not too hot) or you will have bubbles form under the film.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it on the saddle bag tops only. There are some good YouTube instructional vids that helped a lot.

I would recommend really good lighting and if your eyesight isn't what it used to be get someone to double check for bubbles before it sets up. I had to redo one of them.

Use plenty of the solution - I found that in addition to a spray bottle a bowl of it is handy to dip your hands in. If your hands are the least bit dry you will leave finger prints on the sticky side.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 AM
LEFTCOAST CARL
Advanced

it was already installed on the tank of my EGC and i'm familiar with it from my job at the autobody shop.i wouldn't have considered using it on a bike,but i'm happy now that i left it on.it does save the paint and is small enough that it isn't too obvious.
leftcoast carl.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 AM
SMSgt B
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is digging up the past a little. I just had the front end of my car completed from a shop that been doing this stuff for 10 years now. I asked him if he can do my bike and surprisingly he said yes. His machine has the templates for the front fender, fairing, and saddlebags. Within the next couple of weeks, I should be getting it done so I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 AM
THABULL
Road Master

I have it on my fairing , had a local xpel pro put it on which I would highly recommend! http://www.xpel.com/

The fairing is 2 peices and the pinstripe is where the 2 meet!

If I did't point it out no one would know it is there , put on right it looks like sprayed on clear coat!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

for some reason that stuff reminds me of the my friends house when I was a kid with the living room furniture covered in plastic that was never used. Never understood the reasoning behind having a room you were afraid to use, kind of the same with my bikes. Sure it's going to get an occasional nick or scratch from use but if I spent all my time worrying about that I'd never have time to ride. JMO

Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 AM
THABULL
Road Master

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
for some reason that stuff reminds me of the my friends house when I was a kid with the living room furniture covered in plastic that was never used. Never understood the reasoning behind having a room you were afraid to use, kind of the same with my bikes. Sure it's going to get an occasional nick or scratch from use but if I spent all my time worrying about that I'd never have time to ride. JMO
Some of us don't see the need of having the lastest and greatest and trading ever other year being in debt up to our eye ***** so we tend to take better care of our stuff knowing we're going to have it a long time! Preventive care is cheaper than replacing or repairing IMO!

Last edited by THABULL; 10-24-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:33 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

Try www.paragoncustoms.com/armor its the same principal as the 3m stuff except theres no adhevisive. I've used it for bout 3 years now, put it one for extended road trips, take it off when I'm done. Takes a little to get use to putting it on, but now bout 5 mins and I'm on the road. I've had it on for 2 weeks at a time and no problems. Write a word some where on there I use the word top. The reason is I know if I can read the word the same clean side is against the paint and not rubbing any grit or dirt in. I've also used clear window tint and cut patterns for saddle bags and gas tank where my legs would rub. This works just as good and when the bagger armor wears out I will use tint on the batwing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear bra paint protection?