Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J & M - L.E.D. Light Ring * REVIEW *

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default J & M - L.E.D. Light Ring * REVIEW *

LED Light Rings for J&M® Fairing Speakers 1998-2010 Harley® StreetGlide/Ultra/RoadGlide

Thanks to John Lazzeroni of the J & M Corporation for allowing me to test these light rings, I do appreciate it.

I installed the light rings on my 2005 Ultra which has J & M 5.25" speakers.

Pic #1
This is what the product looks like after removed from standard shipping box.

Pic #2
The contents of the package.

Pic #3
My stock '05 dash with stock lighting.

Pic #4
Light ring installed, you can see the dip switches

Pic #5
Power source via cigarette lighter.

Pic #6
First choice was blue.

Pic #7
Blue at night. The is a little brighter than the other colors.

Pic #8
Red wins out

Pic #9
Had stock guages done in red to match.

Pic #10
Couldn't find anyone to do the stock radio in blue, it is factory red.

Pic #11
Red with different lighting, radio is red but looks more yellow in pic.

Pic #12
Different lighting

Pic #13
Red - different angle

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

For starters, I am not very good with a camera but I know how much everybody (including me) likes to see alot of pictures.

Here we go ....

You will notice that I started with blue but ended up with red. I wanted blue but couldn't find anyone to change the backlighting on my '05 radio and was in fact advised by a senior tech at the manufacturer to not try it. After an exhausting search, I decided to leave the radio alone and make everything else match. I changed my small guages to red L.E.D.'s and had my speedo & tach done in red also. Now everything matches because I ride a Harley and I'm ****, hehe.

I haven't been able to ride the bike (to show it off) on account of the weather in Chicago, but I have sent some pics out and a few people have been over to look at these light rings. Everybody's response is the same - "WOW, that's different and cool! I would have never thought of that".

Everything that you need, is shipped in one compact package. I was curious about what the rings might look like and was impressed when I finally got my greedy little hands on them. They are a thin circuit board with small L.E.D.'s and a dip switch on the top for "adjusting" colors.

I've no novice at removing a fairing so that was the first order of business. With the fairing set aside, I then removed the 3 screws holding the left speaker on. I pulled the speaker back from the fairing enough to slip the light ring into place, making sure that the dip switches were facing the front of the bike. It was a bit tedious keeping everything lined up correctly, but by taking my time and double checking before tightening any screws, I was able to reinstall the 3 screws. You need to constantly make sure that the light ring in in it's place and lined up. I also had to seperate the wires from my tweeter and let them stradle the dip switches. I then repeated the same on the other speaker. If the whole thing took me an hour, I would be surprised. I wasn't in any hurry and like to take my time and enjoy tinkering with the machine.

After the rings were installed, I plugged the wire harness into the right light ring then ran the harness over to the left light ring, then in down to the cigarette lighter. The harness is then piggybacked to the spade splugs without splicing into anything. Everything is completely plug & play. I wired tied the harness to the bikes harness so nothing would be moving around.

You're ready to turn the ignition on and select a color by flipping a dip switch.

The biggest thing to remember is to make sure that the light ring is lined up correctly and not to pinch any wires. Everything will be fine, if you're not in a hurry. This is a very easy install and there is no cutting or splicing of wires, unless you want to. The next time I pull my fairing off, I will remove the spade connectors then solder the power wires to the cigarette plug wires. That is just a personal preference though.

My opinion - these guages bring some light, and attention, to an area that used to be completely dark. The install, fit & finish are top notch and that's all I would ever expect from J & M. I had no issues with the light rings or the install. There is no doubt that people will notice these things. I know I enjoy staring at them myself. Would I buy them, no - not at first. I didn't buy a big bore the first time I saw it. I didn't buy all of those little pieces of chrome the first time I saw them either. I usually tell myself that I don't need these cool little things. The machine is fine. It looks ok and runs ok .....then I lose the argument with myself. Say hello to the Ultra with the big bore, the chrome & J & M light rings! Get yours before your Bro does!

Thanks J & M!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Excellent write-up and pics. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Great review. We have those on our baggers too.

Shawn

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 01-18-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

by the way these guys can put any light you want in the radio http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 AM
D34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty cool.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:43 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

Just an FYI for everyone. I did talk to Tony at Iron Cross and they do NOT do any radio other than the HK's. My bike is an '05 and does not have an HK. He said that they MIGHT do them in the future.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

BUMP for J & M!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

We can run a Group Buy on these LED light rings if you guys want and we have them in stock for immediate shipping.

Let us know and I will see how low we can go. The more that are interested, the lower the price!

We will do what it takes to get you guys the absolute lowest price on them based on quantities we can unload.

Thanks!

Shawn

Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,711 Posts

What's the regular price on those rings?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review!!!!
Super Pics too!!!!

Quick Reply: J & M - L.E.D. Light Ring * REVIEW *