Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficult to replace air temp gauge w/oil temp gauge?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Difficult to replace air temp gauge w/oil temp gauge?

2006 Ultra Classic
As long as I had the front fairing off to replace the speakers, I thought I might do the gauge replacement too. I reviewed the HD installation instructions I found online and it appears simple to do (until I looked at the back of the gauge in the inner fairing).

When I looked at the air temp gauge placement in relation to the vertical fairing bracket (and lots of wiring) in the way I can see no reasonable was get to the back of the gauge to release the gauge withouth removing lots of stuff that is not mentioned in the instructions.

Anybody have some good installation sequence photos you might have taken to show how to do this. Or lacking that, some guidance how to get to what is necessary to remove the old gauge and install the new one? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the change on an '01 Ultra. Having a flexible screw/nut driver helped alot.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 303 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm also about to do the swap. I managed to remove the air temp gauge with limited difficulty but I can already foresee issues installing the oil temp. It looks to me kind of like one of those "Finesse" situations where you just have to slow down, and hope you don't lose your patience. Hell, it's all part of the fun, right? As a side note, I went ahead and pulled the tank. I always like to route all lines through the harness (as opposed to under the frame) because it's more permanent and I think makes for a cleaner installation. With these new QD fuel lines, it's very easy to remove the tanks from these bikes.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not all that difficult. You will have to drain your engine oil to install the sending unit in the pan. Run/route all of your wiring.

Removing the existing gauge can be somwhat time consuming due to the limited space to work but when installing the new gauge, run all of your wiring through the opening in the fairing and connect it to the gauge first, then put the gauge in place and struggle to get the bracket and nuts in place. Oh, and don't forget to refill the engine with oil.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I too am making the change to the oil temp instead of the air temp. I do have the RG, which removing the air temp gauge was a snap. I have read that the oil temp gauge is on back order though. I ordered mine online from Chicago HD, it appeared that they had the one I was looking for. I didn't really look into the install instructions yet, figured I would do that when I had the part. Hope it's not more than I bargained for...

Old 01-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
I too am making the change to the oil temp instead of the air temp. I do have the RG, which removing the air temp gauge was a snap. I have read that the oil temp gauge is on back order though. I ordered mine online from Chicago HD, it appeared that they had the one I was looking for. I didn't really look into the install instructions yet, figured I would do that when I had the part. Hope it's not more than I bargained for...
You can go to HD's website's P&A catalog and see the installation instructions as a pdf file for the oil temp gauge.

It's been a while since I did mine, but the lower gauge are easier to get to if you remove the gauge above it. Also, consider relocating the voltmeter to the air temp gauge slot and put the oil temp gauge where the voltmeter was. Keeps the oil gauges together.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I was able to loosen the bolt in the oil pan and switch it out in like a .0001 of a second with the temp sender. Lost like a thumble full of oil.

Of course I'm a ninja and stuff.

lp

Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing out the gauge is not bad. You do need to route the wire carefully though. I ran mine up the right down tube on the inside so all you could see were a few wire ties. I didn't drop the oil when I did mine. It won't come pouring out unless you pull the dip stick.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Its not that hard to do: I used shrink wrap and put my wires in a plastic wire loom and used black zip ties. Also while I was at it I popped out the amp gauge and put the oil temp right under the oil pressure gauge. Fuel and amp on the left now.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:23 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I pulled the radio to give me more room. You have to remove a couple of cables and four hex bolts. You need a ball end hex wrench to get to these bolts. Pull the radio toward the front of the bike, not toward the gas tank. It should come right out leaving plenty of room.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difficult to replace air temp gauge w/oil temp gauge?