Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Hang Around
Default pinstripe matching

I have an 08 RK colors crimson red sunglow and candy.Just bought an after market fairing.Arranging to paint it and just found out the factory pinstripe is paint. Need to know if anyone knows if it is possible to buy adhesive pinstripe to match to keep my cost down.planning to clear coat over stripe.By the way I bought an invicta fairing off of ebay and it is VERY good quality.Beats the hell out of 1500.00 to 2000.00 for the others out there.Will post pics when I have the finished product.

ACMC
Oklahoma City
Chapter 154
President
Oklahoma State Rep
Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Hang Around

Bump, cuss I would like to know the answer too.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Rider

Its possible to bury the stripes under clear coat, but it will still look like tape.I cant believe a local striper cant pick up the factory color and style at a reasonable cost. JMHO
Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Tape looks like, well it looks like Tape.

Don't do it you'll hate yourself later. Besides I doubt you will find the exact color P/S in a tape form. Good Luck
Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

The painters that have Harley painting experience does a good job matching the pin stripping. I was also surprised when I discovered the pin stripping is painted.

I also agree with the comment about not recommending tape type pin stripping.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Extreme HDF Member

For wide striping, HD has used tape; for example, the striping on the 2003 Anniversary models is tape, and so is the wide gold striping on the 2008 Anniversary CVO Ultra and Road King.

When I did my paint project in early '09 I looked at pinstriping tape at a couple of automotive paint supply stores as well as a PPG distributor and was surprised how many varieties were available. Perhaps whoever paints your fairing can find a close match.

With the money you saved on the fairing, find a good painter who can paint a matching pinstripe.

CMA, Crossties Chapter (GA)
IBA 26580
'04 FLHTPX
Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Send a message via Yahoo to zoood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
Its possible to bury the stripes under clear coat, but it will still look like tape.I cant believe a local striper cant pick up the factory color and style at a reasonable cost. JMHO
You can bury the pin stripping under the clear coat. You just have to make sure you wet sand that clear coat. This will remove the tape's edge. Then either clear it again, or compound it out. Ive did this to several paintings I've done in the past. As for now. I too am looking for pin stripping tape to match my 93's pin stripping.

Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks, RJ
Old 03-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Pics show both..."Harley-Davidson" is a sticker the paralel pinstripes are paint from MoCo & covered w/clear....flames & lettering highlights are painted on top of clearcoat.
Attached Thumbnails
pinstripe matching-dscf0406_0051_051.jpg   pinstripe matching-dscf0380_0076_076.jpg  

2012 Road Glide Custom
Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Send a message via Yahoo to zoood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07FLHT View Post
Pics show both..."Harley-Davidson" is a sticker the paralel pinstripes are paint from MoCo & covered w/clear....flames & lettering highlights are painted on top of clearcoat.
Its a nice job. But I'd rather any application on my scoot to be covered with clear. Whether it's hand painted on or film. There's always an edge. Till you clear it and wet sand that edge out. I call em wax traps. Here's a scoot I painted. If you were to run your finger on it. You will not feel anything except a smooth surface.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoood View Post
Its a nice job. But I'd rather any application on my scoot to be covered with clear. Whether it's hand painted on or film. There's always an edge. Till you clear it and wet sand that edge out. I call em wax traps. Here's a scoot I painted. If you were to run your finger on it. You will not feel anything except a smooth surface.
Oh I totally agree, I'd rather too....but, I don't have that kind of tallent and this was a fast, inexpensive way to dress up a plain tank. Was just trying to show options. Guess I've been lucky, haven't had any trouble getting wax trapped either.

2012 Road Glide Custom
Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM

P