Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woods TW6-6 Cams Ride Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:46 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Woods TW6-6 Cams Ride Review

I finally was able to get out and do a good ride with the new Woods cams today. These cams totally met my expectations. With the stock cams I felt the power was really lacking in the bottom and especially the mid-range between 2.5k-4k RPM. The cam changes solved this problem so this turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

Right off the line I felt a fair amount of power increase, but almost immediately my butt dyno registered a lot more pull from 2k RPM right through the mid-range to the high RPM. The pull did not feel like it was dying off at all.

When accelerating there is definitely more torque available and the engine feels a lot more powerful. Even at cruise I was impressed how much more power I had in fourth and fifth gear.

To give you an idea on the difference, the stock engine without any mods felt sluggish. The Jackpots, SE AC, and PCV added some usable power, but IMO it still needed more power mostly in the mid-range. With the addition of the cams the engine really wants to run without any sluggishness.

I really like how the sound has changed. I'm getting a deeper and louder sound with a little bit of lope to it.

From here any changes is strictly for the sake of adding more power just for the sake of it. I think I will ride all this upcoming season with this setup.

Next year, if I am still craving more power, I will either do the 103 or go talk to someone about a custom build. I doubt I will go that far, but then again once you start these projects you can't stop.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:03 PM
USA1HD1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback I have a set of these cams just need to get them put in, Makes me feel better about my choice!!

Old 01-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So where did you get the cams and final price? What other parts did you need to complete the project? Thanks

Old 01-23-2010, 04:25 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear somebody else tried the Woods TW6 cams. Put them in my bike a year ago. then did supertrapp supermeg 2in1 pipes. A/N Stage II air kit. PCV with Auto Tune from Jamie at Fuel Moto and put JE 95" flat top pistons in and had the heads ported and polished.
Once you feel the power its hard to ride a stock bike.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,367 Likes on 21,383 Posts

Did you go with the .30 head gasket? That's what I would probably do as I hear that the Woods 6 really comes on in the 10-1 range. Did you take off your tank and use your stock pushrods or not and cut the stockers in half and use the quick installs? Wonder what Jamie from Fuel Moto thinks about that idea-r? Is this spot on, or?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:35 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kilo6
So where did you get the cams and final price? What other parts did you need to complete the project? Thanks
You can buy the cams from FuelMoto or Woods. The project will run $500 plus tools if you do the job yourself. I have a write-up here if you want to see the whole project with parts list.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Did you go with the .30 head gasket? That's what I would probably do as I hear that the Woods 6 really comes on in the 10-1 range. Did you take off your tank and use your stock pushrods or not and cut the stockers in half and use the quick installs? Wonder what Jamie from Fuel Moto thinks about that idea-r? Is this spot on, or?
I used adjustable pushrods and did not remove the heads. Jamie has a couple posts on his 2-1-2 Jackpot package with the Woods 6 cam. That's what made me go in this direction.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm trying to coax Jamie into installing the 6-6's with the 4° advance gear into his '09 RK, then do some comparison charting with his '10 model with 6-6's (no advance gear). That should shift the TQ curve to the left and boost the low-end, although the top-end will take a hit. I suspect that might be a nice combo for a touring bike with stock compression, and will allow allow some growth should your priorities change in the future. Of course the addition of an advance gear adds $75-$125 to the price of the cam job, and the 6-6's cost $400 (about $100 more than most aftermarket cams).

Old 01-23-2010, 08:11 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I put a set of the TW6-6 cams in my 08 Ultra using the adjustable pushrods and it works just fine. Made the bike run much better than stock.

Eariler this week I completed a 103 build on my 09 FLHX using TW6-6 cams, stock heads, .030 Cometic gaskets and I reused the stock pushrods. The squish is set right at .035 and the compression is just a pinch over 10:1. The bike runs great. Big big difference from stock. I changed the oil this morning and put about 100 miles on it and still have the smile on my face.

Both bikes are running PC-Vs from FuelMoto with maps provided by Jamie. The FLHX also has autotune on it. Both bikes run great with the Wood cams. The 103 build looks like it is going to be well worth it.

I'm starting to think I may take the stock jugs from the 09 and have them bored to 103 and put them on the Ultra.

Hey atrain - Glad to hear you are happy with the cams. It sure is a big improvement over stock.

Last edited by RDM; 01-23-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I'm trying to coax Jamie into installing the 6-6's with the 4° advance gear into his '09 RK, then do some comparison charting with his '10 model with 6-6's (no advance gear). That should shift the TQ curve to the left and boost the low-end, although the top-end will take a hit. I suspect that might be a nice combo for a touring bike with stock compression, and will allow allow some growth should your priorities change in the future. Of course the addition of an advance gear adds $75-$125 to the price of the cam job, and the 6-6's cost $400 (about $100 more than most aftermarket cams).
The +4 would help move the curve to the left but only slightly. I recently had a detailed conversation with Bob Woods on the +4 with stock compression and it is our feelings that I will only bring the torque curve in 300 RPM's earlier. When we put the TW6-6 cams in our 2010 bike I will try the +4 gear for direct comparison, but this will be a later next month as we are still writing maps which require the stock cams.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Quick Reply: Woods TW6-6 Cams Ride Review