Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King aftermarket fairing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 PM
HDnutcase
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
That's the radio I have in my Woody's fairing. Works great, and very easy to use in my opinion. Only drawback is that it isn't set up for a hard wired remote, which means you can't hook up hand controls. They make another unit just like it (don't recall the model number right now), that's a step up, and is made for the hard wired remote. I'll be upgrading to it at a later date so I can add the controls.
The Sony CDX-GT540UI is set up with terminals for a hard wired remote. You just need an interface and the switches. I'm told the Nomad system works and is cheaper than HD's. Not sure if it's available in chrome. Now I have to be clear, this info comes from the owner of Dead Center and I quote, "The new Sony deck (CDX-540UI) is capable of handling thumb controls". Be sure to check it out before you buy. I didn't and as a result I'm shopping for a new radio. I own an Ultra Classic and wouldn't consider a radio without thumb controls, so I won't have my wife riding her Road King while fumbling with small radio buttons.

Last edited by HDnutcase; 06-30-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn W
Cuda, would you mind deleting my ph. # from your post? Thx.
Done.
It was on your card, so I didn't think it would be a problem. Sorry about that.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No harm done 'cuda. I just try to keep a low profile on the boards and let folks make contact via email but I know you were just helping him out. One of the problems in being so small is trying to manage my time to get things in a box before UPS makes their pickup vs being rude or short with customers. Then there's being dressed up like this

and the phone rings, and next thing you know you're being asked if you have anything for a '75 Yamaha RD350. Granted, those things were quite the screamer in their day, but no, I don't have anything for them except my mouthful of dust from yanking the respirator off too quickly

Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 PM
cogener8
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be cool with any of them. But it seems to be a pretty consistant $2000 option. OUCH.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Glenn W
Tourer

No way, with mine (and probably some others) it'd be less than half that if you have a black bike, since you wouldn't have to paint it. In the long run you'd probably want to paint the front half since a base/clear coat paint job has a deeper shine & is more durable than the gelcoat. I may get mine painted over the winter, time & $ permitting. I'm still trying to decide if I want to splurge for something in black/black ghost flames or just black.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of Glenn's fairing and love it. I had mine painted (inner and outter) and hand pinstriped. I also put the radio Glenn recommends. total cost with his fairing that I have invested is $1100. I also have the slotted trim and quick connect wiring.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I believe I have about $1100 in mine as well, including paint.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:24 AM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I might be into mine $900. I got my head unit from Walmart, it has blue tooth, usb, and Ipod controls, came with the cable for that, I ordered the paint on line, painted it myself...twice but I'm learning.
Terry

Eited to add: For remote control the head unit came with a remote, I made a plate out of an old peice of brushed aluminum that I had laying around, mounted it to my handle bars, velcroed the remote onto it and it is right where I can reach it with my index finger and keep my hand on the grip...mostly free!

Last edited by TMair; 07-01-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:05 AM
ThinkWired
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How the hell does Glenn do it for half the price?

Glenn, you can feel free to answer that yourself as well.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Glenn W
Tourer

Originally Posted by ThinkWired
How the hell does Glenn do it for half the price?

Glenn, you can feel free to answer that yourself as well.
Ever notice you never see the Keebler elves in commercials anymore?

OK, seriously, it's pretty easy math. My stuff is high quality but my marketing is very different and my scale is small. I have no dealer margin, selling only direct to the end user. Some other brands sell to Drag Specialties, which sells to the dealers, who sell to you. Toss a few hundred dollars to each of them and you have an expensive fairing. Even the few commercial ventures that purchase my fairings pay the retail prices listed on the website, and make their money on radios, paint, and installations. At first that may sound like BS, but when you consider they can get one of mine as a starting point for less than some other places' "dealer pricing" ones, it works out well for both sides.
I do very little advertising, relying mostly on word of mouth from previous customers. A major difference is I don't have any employees so my liability and other insurance isn't as much and there's no employee benefits other than sleeping late (and working late) and all the fiberglass dust I can eat.
I've done a few things to shave costs like stainless acorn nuts & washers where some used chromed, less expensive but good value windshields, and stainless brackets polished to a B finish instead of mirror or chromed steel. I also don't provide a power cord from the fairing to the bike, where some include a 2-wire "Battery Tender" or similar type plug/cord arrangement. Since all car stereos need a 3-wire cord I don't see a need to charge you for a 2 wire one. I can do a top quality optional 3 wire QD twistlock cord for extra $ or you can make your own as simple or complex as you like. Yeah, there are 2-wire marine units out there, but you pay extra for them so you really haven't saved any money and marine radios aren't needed anyway. I could go on, but I'm not a sponsor here so I think I already may be stretching decorum into a free advertisement.

Quick Reply: Road King aftermarket fairing