Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lone Star Rally, Galveston TEXAS

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 PM
LT69
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lone Star Rally, Galveston TEXAS

Going to the Galveston Texas Lone Star Rally, November 5,6 & 7th for the first time. Just got vacation worked out for that Friday, all hotels in Galveston were full. Got a room in Texas City for Friday and Saturday night. Mama is coming with me. Gona ride from San Antonio, TX.

Sooo---would appreciate inputs regarding what to do, where to go, etc, etc. We should arrive on Friday around noon. I plan on making the Strand on Saturday during the day, appears that is where all the vendors are.
After that I need guidance Any inputs would be appreciated.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 PM
LT69
Novice
Default Lone Star Rally

Bump it up.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

What kind of things are you interested in? From a purely touristy point of view, there's the Moody Gardens in Galveston and Space Center Houston next to the Johnson Space Center on Nasa Rd 1 that immediately come to mind. Both are about the same distance from Texas City only in opposite directions. Downtown Houston is about 45 minutes north of Texas City and offers just about anything you'd expect from a large city.

Ride Safe & Enjoy!
Steve R.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
LT69
Novice

Am interested in what events are worth going to at the rally.... any local eating establishments we need to hit? What else? Is everything on the Strand? Anything on the Seawall?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Can't help you much with the rally itself. I'm not a big fan of large crowds so I've never been even though I live in Texas City. There are lots of really good restraunts on the Strand and on the Seawall. Geido's has been around for longer than I've been in the world but I haven't been there in a very long time now. I'm sure the locals and/or folks you'll meet at the rally can give you plenty of good suggestions.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:22 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kinda with Intrepid175, I lived in Houston for years - I wouldn't cross the causeway for the rally.... too many people for me. BUT - to each his own.

I can recommend a couple of good seafood restaurants - Fisherman's Wharf, off Harborside Drive. or Clary's Seafood Restaurant, on Teichman Rd - to the right, right after you cross the causeway.

I have heard some places close during the rally. however, having never gone, I don't have firsthand info on that.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:18 PM
LT69
Novice
Default Thanks

Thanks for the inputs.

We will try Geido's and Clary's.
Will mix with others and figure it out. Looking forward to the experience.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 AM
sj9125
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oysters and a cold beer

If you're going to be staying in Texas City you aren't far from Gilhooley's. Good atmosphere tucked way out of the way with cold beer and great oysters. Their specialty is kind of Rockefeller style (cooked on the half shell). They've usually got blues playing over the sat radio and everyone is pretty friendly. The parking lot can be tricky though because it isn't paved but if you slow down and take it easy it's WELL worth it. I'd google it if I were you and you can get a map and read a bit more on it. There are a couple of more places close by there like Top Waters Bar and Grill and so on. Also on Hwy 3 just south of 646 there is a place called The Fish Place that has all you can eat catfish or redfish on the cheap. I've seen other places called this but this is the orig and is very good, while the others are ehhhh.

http://houston.citysearch.com/profil...nt_oyster.html

Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM
dmaldojr
Advanced

You gotta hit up the spot good burgers then run down the seawall to woodys then keep going down to hammerheads in surf side for cold beer

Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on gilhooleys if you like oysters + no kids allowed...i will be there too

Quick Reply: Lone Star Rally, Galveston TEXAS