Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King aftermarket fairing

Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to justify the OP complaint. Its obvious its now OBE.

I will add, I'm VERY happy with my Dead Center Cycles Fairing.

Which was purchased prior to any radio or paint combination's were even advertised as an option.

I had the fairing painted my color scheme as I wanted it.
I'm using a radio that I'd spec'ed out. That I installed with the speakers that I wanted.

It was a little bit of work but everything worked out very well, and I'm very pleased with all that Dead Center has done with pre- and post- sales service.

For all those that want to do the work on their bike and not trade it in. It is a very good fairing and up to now, I have not heard any complaints about these fairings, quality, or service.

For those on the fence, who want a quality product Dead Center is still number ONE in my book.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:50 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tagging this as I want a fairing for my 01 FLHR when funds permit but I just want a plain fairing with maybe a 7" windshield. Also I want it to be quick detachable. Need to read this complete post later.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll bite, what does "OBE" stand for?

Old 07-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn W
I'll bite, what does "OBE" stand for?
Has several however in this instance its the first definition.

Overtaken By Events

OBE Overcome By Events
OBE Office/Officer of the Order of the British Empire
OBE Order of the British Empire
OBE Out of Body Experience
OBE Outcome-Based Education
OBE On-Board Equipment
OBE Online Booking Engine
OBE Operating-Basis Earthquake
OBE One Boson Exchange
OBE Odontología Basada en la Evidencia
OBE Office of Business Economics
OBE Original Black Entertainment (British TV channel)
OBE Other Buggers Efforts
OBE Over Bloody Eighty (gifts)
OBE Our Best Effort
OBE Open Book Examination
OBE Open Book Estimate
OBE On-Board Equivalent (NASA)
OBE Out-Board Electronics
OBE Outboard Booster Engine
OBE One Behind the Ear
OBE Online Bidding Event
OBE Overall Boat Effectiveness
OBE Order of the Brown Envelope
OBE Old But Everlasting

Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 PM
DCJ
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDnutcase
The MP3 jack is on the back of the stereo inside the fairing and they don't bother to bring out a jack for access. !
Woops! Not sure why this didn't get to me when it was posted!? I realize this is months after the original post. Sorry for the delayed information.

I'm a little confused about the authors claim.

In regards to the jack not being brought out for MP3 playback. Every fairing we supply has, and had, a mini jack. On our versions that carried the Jensen deck we, in fact, mounted a marine mini jack on the face of the fairing above the 12vlt power socket for mp3 playback (or for any other auxilliary device for that matter) because that particular stereo didn't have one on it's face. This, in my opinion, was nice because you could play any auxilliary device without interfering with the marine door closing if the weather goes south.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I couldn't be any happier with my Dead Center Cycles fairing. I have a Sony MEX-BT3800 (144 bucks) that comntrols iPods, USB drives, MP3 players, sat radio, etc. It even has Bluetooth capable of beaming up tunes to Bluetooth helmet speakers. I have a Sony wired remote (marine remote, 29.95) that works with all devices, even though Sony Customer Service told me that marine remotes were not compatible with automotive headunits. It sorts out through files and folders real quick with the remote, and of course its waterproof (the remote) and I had a chance to use it with wet gloves, the rubberized buttons make it easy. If the Sony unit has a 3.5 mm socket with a blue ring around it in the back, it is compatible with wired remotes. The remote comes with a short pigtail and an extension, and I wired it so that its still quick detachable. I ride in the rain and I have been through huge rainstorms, and I have had no damage in over a year of ownership of the fairing. One bitchin' headunit with full remote control (all functions) for less than 200 bucks. Yeah!

See here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-fairings.html

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 09-28-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:33 PM
HDnutcase
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Dead Center Fairing had no MP3 jack installed.....

Originally Posted by DCJ
Woops! Not sure why this didn't get to me when it was posted!? I realize this is months after the original post. Sorry for the delayed information.

I'm a little confused about the authors claim.

In regards to the jack not being brought out for MP3 playback. Every fairing we supply has, and had, a mini jack. On our versions that carried the Jensen deck we, in fact, mounted a marine mini jack on the face of the fairing above the 12vlt power socket for mp3 playback (or for any other auxilliary device for that matter) because that particular stereo didn't have one on it's face. This, in my opinion, was nice because you could play any auxilliary device without interfering with the marine door closing if the weather goes south.

Rebuff from HDNutcase........
I'm the author and unhappy buyer of that Dead Center Fairing with no mini-jack installed and an extremely high price. I can't let a lie go without a reply. Dead Center's email to me remarked that a cable was provided for that but it was not installed. DIY project, not included. The Jensen radio I got has poor reception, is difficult to read, can't be used with gloves on, can't be modified for hand controls and is pure junk. As I said before, do your homework and check the details. I wish I had done that. Maybe their new radio is the ticket? I don't know, do the research and check the price. All I got from Dead Center was sympathy for my bad choice.

Last edited by HDnutcase; 09-29-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HDnutcase
Rebuff from HDNutcase........
I'm the author and unhappy buyer of that Dead Center Fairing with no mini-jack installed and an extremely high price. I can't let a lie go without a reply. Dead Center's email to me remarked that a cable was provided for that but it was not installed. DIY project, not included. The Jensen radio I got has poor reception, is difficult to read, can't be used with gloves on, can't be modified for hand controls and is pure junk. As I said before, do your homework and check the details. I wish I had done that. Maybe their new radio is the ticket? I don't know, do the research and check the price. All I got from Dead Center was sympathy for my bad choice.

HDnutcase,

Just about all the automotive radios have small buttons, make that ALL of them. They are designed for use inside a car, where you don't need to use gloves and operate the radio at the same time, and ALL of them have bad reception unless you have an external antenna, and most of them are very difficult to read in direct sunlight.
A U T O M O T I V E D E S I G N. All those problems are inherent in an application where they were not intended to be used in.

Honestly, it looks to me like you will not be happy, no matter what kind of radio you get. Everything you just complained about applies to Pioneer, Sony, JVC, etc. My DDC fairing came with the Jensen and an input for MP3 players, but that became a non-issue when I bought the Sony. And I still can't read the Sony's display in direct sunlight, lol.

Good luck in your next purchase.

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 09-29-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

First off, I wouldn't hesitate to deal with Woody of Woody's fairing. Value for your money, he's very hard to beat.

His key is low to no overhead. He doing it the American way. One man show with a great product and even better customer service.

I did not buy my fairing from Woody I found one I liked on ebay, recearched it for quality. Spoke to the builder no less than ten times before I pulled the trigger. I outfitted, wired and made it do what I wanted it to do. And yes I'm happy with it. But if I would have know about woody before I purchased it he would have got my business.

All stereos with a 3.5 mm remote jack can be wired for thumb controls. I've been researhing this for sometime. The controler used with the biketronics nomad system can be used with Harley switches. I am planing on this for my bike in the future. No it's not cheap that why an Ultra is several thousand dollars more than a Road King. But I could afford a King but couldn't afford an Ultra. But, there is no reason not to have those features if you want it.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

TooEasy

I like what you did with the wired remote. Love to get my hands on one of those. I beleive I could take it apart and tap into the curcuit board to make it work with the harley thumb controls.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King aftermarket fairing