Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14" Bagger Apes (Wild1s) - cable lengths - DIFFERENT question!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 PM
SE7EN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14" Bagger Apes (Wild1s) - cable lengths - DIFFERENT question!!

Before you say it; yes I searched.. and searched and searched - I read about 25 posts on cable length for bagger apes... Nothing that tells me when I need help with, sorry.

As the title indicates: I am installing the Wild 1 14" bagger apes on my torn down Eglide and need help on cables..

I am ordering my parts through a buddies shop to save myself some dough in this rough economy.

Unfortunately, he only uses Tucker Rocky and they have ZERO tech support and their catalog is a bit confusing for me..

I have read that I need +6 cables to go with 14's, that makes sense.
Here is where I need your experienced help:

The cable length ordering guide is a bit confusing..
I have a 2005 Fuel Injected FLHT (E Glide Standard).

In the catalog, the only listing for the +6 brakelines say they fit a flhr, fltr and flhrc - but NOTHING in any + lengths for my bike.
Anyone know if the flhr, fltr and flhrc are the same length as my Batwinged FLHT?

Also, on the throttle and idle cables - the +6 cables they list say they fit carbs, will they fit my FI bike?

Sorry for the ignorant questions, I can save a TON of money with your help... I think that Ill be "ok" but cannot return the stuff if a mistake is made.. so thanks in advance!
~Jarrod

Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 13" bars I went with 6" clutch cable and brake line. The brake line might work on
14" but I think that the clutch cable might have to be a little longer than 6"

Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm in the process of putting 14" Wild 1 576's on my Street Glide. I picked the bars up at Dennis Kirk Scratch-N-Dent for $112.00. When I started researching cables and brake lines it was too much misery for me, so I did the math and ended up ordering everything I'm gonna need from HDBikeparts.com. Johnny knows what you need for every bike/bar combo. I believe the cables are all +8. I got Barnett Stainless cables and Goodridge Stainless lines plus the wire extension kit for $445 shipped. FWIW a buddy has MotionPro cables and they suck. BTW I am not affiliated with HDBikeparts.com.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the hurry? Leave your cables in place except for the handlebar ends of course and mock up the new bars. There's your +. Brake lines are tougher since routing will be a new issue. Get creative. Use a piece of extension cord.

The biggest mistake is to add inches to compensate. You'll end up with swoopy **** all over your front end.

If you're trying to save money, take your time. Don't try to anticipate.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the 14" chubbys on my Road King.

You need +6 on all but the clutch. Go +8 on the clutch due to wider bars. The chubbys are 36" wide.

Pics of my 14" bars are in my myspace sig. Go to the album "My scooter toys"

Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
SE7EN
Intermediate

Thanks for everyone's help! Spoke with a buddy of mine and he gave the exact advice Kagan did. Hes been doing apes on his bikes for 10+ years and said; if you guess or estimate - you'll be wrong.. Oinker02 sounds pretty confident in his measurements...

Thereal142 - just curious; was there a reason you didn't opt to go for the Hill Country "all included" setup? I believe it is Wild1 bars & all cables for 469.99
http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...7-07-P309.aspx
I've been wondering how much time they put into making sure the brake line ends are the right angles, etc.. Anyone have experience with their setups? Might make more sense to order from them; dealer cost isn't but $100 cheaper from what I can tell...

My buddy said that is where most people make the mistakes; they order too long cables and they forget about the different angles needed on the attachment points..

Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Talk to Shawn ( Dr.V-Twin ) He was very helpful on this very subject, for me. And he sells Magnum cables which look very nice, and come in several different colors/types. I am replacing my ABS and clutch line, and the prices seem very good. Magnum sells the lines in two pieces so a guy can change just the upper (short) line when he changes bars, instead of the whole line.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
ezryder1962
Intermediate

I put 13 inch wild ones on my 02 roadking thay came out perfect I did mine how kagan desribed he did his

Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 13" cyclesmiths with braided cable and lines cost me $460 including shipping. However I didn't get the wire extensions because I did not need them.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
ezryder1962
Intermediate

I put 13 inch wild 1's on my 02 roadking thay came out perfect I did it just like kagan described

Quick Reply: 14" Bagger Apes (Wild1s) - cable lengths - DIFFERENT question!!