Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have to change both tires???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 PM
jm1211
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have to change both tires???

Back tire needs to be replaced it is a Avon. Front tire still looks good it is also a avon. I want to switch to Metzlers and wondering if I need to do both at the same time or can I do the rear first and change the front later. I read some where depending on the tire type (bias) you should not do this but I am not sure if the Metzlers ME 880 are the same type of the avon venoms?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
oddtodd
Intermediate

I've always belived to stick with the same brand tires on both, usually rear tires wear out twice as fast as fronts. So wait for the next cycle then install the Metzlers.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:26 PM
dhincc
Road Master

Originally Posted by oddtodd
I've always belived to stick with the same brand tires on both, usually rear tires wear out twice as fast as fronts. So wait for the next cycle then install the Metzlers.
+1 My rear tires wore out 3 to 1. I got even at just under 20,000 and replaced both at the same time.

Ride safe!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer

On my 06 Road Glide I have a new Michelin on the rear and a Metzler on the front with no issues. I ordered the Michelins as a set but too much tread left on the front to change. I'm not sure how the Avon match up, just letting you know my experience. I always liked the Metzlers, just thought I'd try something different.

Last edited by PNSHVL; 02-08-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jm1211
Back tire needs to be replaced it is a Avon. Front tire still looks good it is also a avon. I want to switch to Metzlers and wondering if I need to do both at the same time or can I do the rear first and change the front later. I read some where depending on the tire type (bias) you should not do this but I am not sure if the Metzlers ME 880 are the same type of the avon venoms?
It's nice to have them match but I wouldn't be afraid to change the rear now and change the front later when it's due. If you don't like the way it rides you can always change the front. Ask the guy who's going to change the rear for you.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:36 AM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were switching tire brands I would change both front and rear !!!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Electra Mule
Cruiser

I Can Not say with 100% What is True...All I can Give is My Opinion. I Like to Have Both Tires the Same...On my Touring Bike..That I am trying to get a comfortable Ride... Good traction and grip in corners...going at 85MPH on a Highway...etc. I guess on a Rigid Frame Bar Hopping Bike That I'm riding the Boulevard, I MIGHT have whatever tire on the bike,, But NOT for a Touring Bike...
I'm Switching Now to DUNLOP E3 from the D402.... I could probably get another 2K miles out of the front tire, But I'm going to Switch Both at the same time....

It's One less thing I have to worry about...I use the Bike daily, and Like to have all my ducks in a row...

My 2 Cents... God Bless the Open Road... "Country Fried & THE MULE"

Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer

My rear needs replaced,the front 402 looks new(3000 miles).
I'm going to replace both ends with E3's.............anyone want to buy a 402
for cheap??

I prefer having the same design on both ends.

You might not ever notice the difference but I think it would drive me nuts!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Kagan
Tourer

I ran an Avon rear and a Dunlop front on my Pan for 9 years. (Not the same tires. ) The problem was that an Avon 21 "stood up" and rubbed the inner brace. I liked the Avon rear for my own peculiar tastes. Anyway, the combo never let me down.

Having said that, the reason that matching tires are recommended is because of compound. Each tire is its own blend of rubber and God knows what to add either longevity or traction. Every tire is a strategic attack on one or the other with compromises.

Trust me on this... every customer who decides to switch brands or sidewall pattern at some point runs unmatched pairs. I love the Wide White fronts and plain rears. That's funny as f***! But only for a while.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 AM
hot95hog
Cruiser

Change the tires as they wear out, mixing brands is not going to affect anything. I run an Avon on the rear and a Metzler on the front of my Fatboy and have for years. It handles great by the way. You may be asking why I did the mix and match i do it because I like the wet weather traction provided by the Avon over the Metzler on the rear. For those that say you have to do both together or that they need to be the same they are crazy and just want to spend money they don't have to. Sure wish they would buy my tires. I average 2 a year sometime 3.

Quick Reply: Do you have to change both tires???