Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed SE-255 and SEPST today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:27 AM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed SE-255 and SEPST today...

After much debate and research, I installed the SE-255 cams that my buddy gave me in my 08 Road Glide today...WOW! I read all the different cam debates and had told myself I would use the TR-525C, but my budget didn't allow me to go that route. I already had the 255s, so I took a shot with this cam figuring that I'll do a BB kit somewhere down the line. The guys I ride with all like to twist the throttle, so I just needed a little bit more umph...I went with the SE Pro Super Tuner that I got off eBay for $250...worked like a charm, no issues...had the bike dyno'd and it got 82HP and 100TQ! The service technician was suprised it put up those numbers since I am using stock head pipes and Vance & Hines Monster Ovals slip ons. He said when I go to the D&D 2:1 Fat Cats, both numbers should get a good bump...at any rate, I'm extremely happy with this for the moment until I get some more loot! I know you can't ride a dyno sheet, but it's a good reference point...the ride home was a nice tease, but I should be able to put it through its paces tomorrow!

Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a set of 255's that are going in this spring with TTS and Dyno,,, That's it no more..

After you get a chance to put the bike through its paces ,, please report back !!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:21 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Told ya. Power where you want it, ie....USABLE POWER..... not just numbers somewhere on a dyno sheet.

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 02-14-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 AM
BugSlayer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the SE255 and am ready to swap it out.Did you install new lifters, if so which ones, if not why?. What pushrods did you go to? I'm also thinnking of going to the FuelMoto Power Headers, they say close to the same power as the 2-1 exaust, and IMHO look better. thanks for any info.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:31 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer

Got an early start this morning and was able to get a nice solid ride in today. It's sunny and 75 in Los Angeles today (all week actually...sorry cold climates) so it was a great ride. I can definitely feel a difference in the butt dyno...much more throttle response and the power is truly right in the sweet spot for this heavy bikes just like UltraKlassic said! I was able to roll-on and pass any car I wanted/needed to and the bike really ran well--I think MOCO should send them from the factory like this! I can already tell that I will definitely want more, but I am happy I threw the 255s in since I already had them. I was riding by myself so I cannot tell if I will still get dusted by my friends, though, I highly doubt it. Also, I think my gas mileage went down considerably (was getting about 40-42 mpg), but I just filled up and will check later; I was kinda twisting the throttle a little more. I will ride in to my office in tomorrow and will get on it some more! Ride safe!

Old 02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by BugSlayer
I also have the SE255 and am ready to swap it out.Did you install new lifters, if so which ones, if not why?. What pushrods did you go to? I'm also thinnking of going to the FuelMoto Power Headers, they say close to the same power as the 2-1 exaust, and IMHO look better. thanks for any info.
I did not install new lifters because I was told it was not necessary. One of the three dealers I contacted for a quote told me I needed to change the lifters, but the other 2 said that was false. I used the SE adjustable tapered pushrods. I thought about using the FuelMoto Power Headers, but I don't know if they're available for an 08...I will just go to the D&D 2:1 and then I'll also have the option of running a ghost pipe if I feel the need...I also like the True Dual look on the baggers, but I'm starting to come around to the 2:1 hot rod look, so we'll see...

Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by KaponeWKYA
I think MOCO should send them from the factory like this!
I've wondered about this, too. I suppose since the 255's go in the CVO bikes they need to keep the performance level separated enough from the lower-class bikes like ours to make the high price justifiable. If they can meet EPA certification with the CVO's it would seem certain they could also do so with the 255's in a stock TC96.

I can already tell that I will definitely want more, but I am happy I threw the 255s in since I already had them.
I definitely won't be needing more, as I rarely need to give this bike more than half-throttle for anything, and even a spirited roll-on can be accomplished with <WOT. On a trip last May to the Smokies I was amazed at how easily the engine negotiated the hills with minimal downshifting, even when loaded down like it was. It was a real pleasure to ride.

Also, I think my gas mileage went down considerably (was getting about 40-42 mpg), but I just filled up and will check later; I was kinda twisting the throttle a little more.
Crummy mileage is a normal side-effect from a performance upgrade like that, at least at first until the newness of the extra pep wears off a bit and your throttle hand relaxes a bit, although for me hasn't done so completely after 11 months. You might ask the tuner if he can lean the cruise range a bit, like to 14.2:1, the lowest (richest) you can go with the stock O2 sensors in closed-loop mode, or even leaner. That'll help mileage while at part-throttle.

I will ride in to my office in tomorrow and will get on it some more! Ride safe!
You sound like a happy camper like me. I rode mine today and like every time I ride it I marveled at how good it feels now. Great uprade, IMO, especially if you DIY.

Last edited by iclick; 02-14-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:10 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you like the improvement with the 255s. Adding new cams is really a big improvement, but it leaves you hungry for even more power.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sure this has already been beat to death, but anyone have thoughts as to how these 255's will affect the 09 gearing as compared to the 08 or 07?

Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubadog
I'm sure this has already been beat to death, but anyone have thoughts as to how these 255's will affect the 09 gearing as compared to the 08 or 07?
The '09 and '10 bikes will just feel even peppier than my '07 with the higher gearing does now. I can't see a downside to this, although these cams do give a slightly "abrupt" feel at slow speeds in first gear. This is from the higher CCP that translates into noticeably better throttle-response. I noticed this the first day I rode after the cam job, but quickly got accustomed to it, and would never consider it a point of complaint. Let's call it a "quaint little side-effect." With lower gearing this would likely be enhanced, but I am just speculating, and I can't say if anyone would find it a negative since I've never heard anyone complain about it. Can anyone with one of these newer bikes comment on this?

Last edited by iclick; 02-14-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed SE-255 and SEPST today...