Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch problem HELP!!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. I just want to say that while that video was helpful, I did mine completely opposite. Since I was doing a good deal of work on the bike, I disconnected the battery and removed maxi-fuse. Next turn the switch to ACCESSORY, reach under and depress the tang, turn the key past unlock and presto. You don't have to worry about the fork locking on you OR having to worry about the fork lock not working.

To re-install, align ignition to accessory and put in back on. I didn't have a lick of trouble. As a matter of fact it was probably one of the easiest parts of my handlebar swap LOL

Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jsimo7
Yes .. pushed the button turned the key and it pulled out. And I didn't have the forks locked when I took it out .. Dumba$$ move on my part
I never lock my forks when removing the switch, and you don't need to. Just turn the switch to the lock position with the forks pointing straight ahead. Never had a problem.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM
idoc
Intermediate

You haven't destroyed anything if you haven't forced anything ; backtrack and make certain you aren't binding any movements . The "key" let's you get in position to then engage the "button" underneath to release the " switch" handle to lift it out of the hole . Since your position has changed inadvertently . you may have to swing the forks to discover the "pop up point" that happens usually when you are in alignment properly . The cookbook method works ; but you have to factor in your position has moved . Hang in there , you'll make it .

Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idoc
You haven't destroyed anything if you haven't forced anything ; backtrack and make certain you aren't binding any movements . The "key" let's you get in position to then engage the "button" underneath to release the " switch" handle to lift it out of the hole . Since your position has changed inadvertently . you may have to swing the forks to discover the "pop up point" that happens usually when you are in alignment properly . The cookbook method works ; but you have to factor in your position has moved . Hang in there , you'll make it .
Thanks got it fixed last eve .. I wasn't gonna force anything and the stem need a little bit more effort to pull it back out. After I got it out it was a 2 min job to line up the tumblers and get it working.

Last edited by jsimo7; 02-16-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you got it. The only other thing I could have suggested to you was a BFH.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I was on the edge of my seat there at the end...

Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 AM
hotrodhamster
Stage II

My key is in the lock position . The **** is Pointing at 3 o'clock and the key comes out but I cant get it to turn the key to unlock or turn the **** back to on or accessory. The fork is not locked either. All this after reinstalling the key/known switch . What do I do to unlock the key?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 AM
hotrodhamster
Stage II

This is on my 07 flhx

Old 08-05-2010, 06:05 PM
ultraclassic03
Intermediate

Get a service manual. Still cheaper than bringing the bike to the dealer.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

2010 Ultra Classic

Came on this thread while doing a search to get some help/advice on a fork / ignition lock problem I'm having. Great video / great advice and will mark this one for future use!

However... along these lines, I can't get the key to turn when I'm trying to lock the forks. It was working fine, except for being a little "catchy" since geting the bike new from the dealer. Yesterday, went to lock the forks, and the key won't turn to allow it to lock. The switch works fine for everything, just won't lock. It goes to the lock position, pushes down, but it seems/feels like the key just might not be going in far enough.

The key(s) work fine in the bag and tour box locks... any sugggestions?
Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition switch problem HELP!!