Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch problem HELP!!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ignition switch problem HELP!!

I removed the ignition switch to get the fairing cap off for fork oil change. When I put it back together I got the inner tumblers out of sync. I read several posts and video from this site with help on getting it realigned. I got it realigned and inserted the switch. It went all the way in and locked at at the bottom. Now the key will turn to unlock, and can be removed (barrel key), but the switch is not unlocked. I can't turn the key past the unlock position to the lock position and nothing will move. The switch isn't binding or anything it has a bit of movement like it normally does when locked. It is in the fork lock position, but the forks are not locked. I pushed the button on the bottom of the switch with a screwdriver to try to pull it back out but that won't release it either. Anyone have any help short of taking it to the dealer. Thanks in advance

Old 02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Sounds like you didn't have the forks turned left and locked when you installed the switch in the locked position

Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 AM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like the switch's tumblers are still out of sync. How did you take out the keyed lock? Did you turn the key then press the button under the lock to release it?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
jsimo7
Road Master

Originally Posted by CLL375
Sounds like the switch's tumblers are still out of sync. How did you take out the keyed lock? Did you turn the key then press the button under the lock to release it?
Yes .. pushed the button turned the key and it pulled out. And I didn't have the forks locked when I took it out .. Dumba$$ move on my part

Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If the switch went in it should come back out, if you can get it out turn the bars to the left, reach in the switch and lock the forks with a screw driver and allign the ign tumbler and install the ****. I know how frustrating it can be, been there. Don't force anything as it goes easy when everything is lined up. There's an excellent switch removal & install video on here I saw it last week

Last edited by DPete; 02-15-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:25 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM
jsimo7
Road Master

Originally Posted by DPete
If the switch went in it should come back out, if you can get it out turn the bars to the left, reach in the switch and lock the forks with a screw driver and allign the ign tumbler and install the ****. I know how frustrating it can be, been there. Don't force anything as it goes easy when everything is lined up. There's an excellent switch removal & install video on here I saw it last week
I watched it and it is good. The problem is the barrel key won't turn past unlock but and the button on the bottom won't release the chrome switch part

Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you pushing down on the key while turning it counter-clockwise and up on the button on the bottom at the same time?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:43 PM
jsimo7
Road Master

Originally Posted by dougbk
Are you pushing down on the key while turning it counter-clockwise and up on the button on the bottom at the same time?
yes . . the barrel key will turn counter clockwise past unlock but the chrome stem wont release

Old 02-15-2010, 01:49 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I may not be following you here. Is the release button up or down? If it is up will the lock come back out?

If so take it out, turn the fork to the left and manipulate the tumblers to lock the forks. Line up the switch tumblers and reinsert the lock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition switch problem HELP!!