Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Quest 2 Mounting Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Motown_HOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin Quest 2 Mounting Kit?

I am purchasing a Quest 2 for use on my Street Glide. I don't want the fairing mounting kit because I don't want to drill holes into the inner fairing. HD sells this handlebar mount that mounts next to the left-side switch housing. My question to those who have the Quest and this HD mounting kit already is do I need anything other than this? The description (see below) says the bracket accepts the slide-in connection cradle. What is this? Do I need the Garmin mounting kit too?

I know lots of people like the RAM mount, but I hate it. It sticks up way too far and the HD version is much sleeker looking...

Road Tech™ Quest™ Handlebar Mounting Kit (p/n 92300-06)
This installation kit is designed for handlebar mounting of the Road Tech™ GPS System on most Harley-Davidson® models. Mounted to the left-side handlebar control clamp, the bracket accepts the slide-in connection cradle for the Road Tech™ GPS System. Kit includes ear bud speaker, radio/aux input harness, installation hardware, wiring harness, and instructions.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Garmin Quest 2 Mounting Kit?

The silde in cradle is part of the Quest kit from Harley. You'll need to order one, about $100. You'll also need a jumper to go into the AUX on your radio.

The instructions on your mount should have the appropriate p/N's

Old 07-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

The silde in cradle is part of the Quest kit from Harley. You'll need to order one, about $100. You'll also need a jumper to go into the AUX on your radio.

The instructions on your mount should have the appropriate p/N's
Does anyone know what the p/n is for the slide-in cradle? Is this a HD part or a Garmin part? I don't find it listed anywhere on the HD site.

I know Harley sells their version of the Quest as a kit with the mounting kit included. I thought all I would have to do is buy the HD mounting kit separately and all would work on the Quest 2 (plug and play). So the HD version also includes this slide-in part on the back of their version of the Quest you mention too?

You also say that I will need the jumper for the AUX input. The mounting kit I mentioned above says it has the radio/aux input harness and all wiring. Are you sure this isn't all that I need? Wishful thinking at least!!! Cause if I have to spend $100 for a slide-in cradle and $80 for the handlebar mounting kit for harley this will just suck!

Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
RoadKing52
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I mounted one of these new handle bar mounts and it looks great. I had the RAM mount and you're right it does look much sleeker. I also had the Garmin motorcycle cradle mount the one with power, they sell one with power and one without, It all bolted up just fine and I did it all in about 30 min. Good Luck

Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

Okay I think I found the part you were referring to… Is this it? Damn, that sucks. So I have to spend an additional $180 above the standard Quest 2 to get it to mount on the handlebars…

Now I see why most of you guys now go with aftermarket mounting kits. So can anyone give me advice on what mounting kit to purchase? I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. If I buy the RAM mount is that all I need? Can someone give me the RAM part number so I know I get the right part? Garmin has a motorcycle mounting kit for $50 on their site. But it looks like I need something else to get that to work too. OPTIONS??? I am trying to get all this before the Sturgis trip and time is running out!

Road Tech™ Quest™ Handlebar Mount Cradle (p/n 91667-06)
Transfer your fairing-mounted Road Tech™ Quest™ Navigation System P/N 92106-05 to a bike equipped with the Handlebar Mounting Kit P/N 92300-06. Kit includes docking cradle only.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RoadKing52

I mounted one of these new handle bar mounts and it looks great. I had the RAM mount and you're right it does look much sleeker. I also had the Garmin motorcycle cradle mount the one with power, they sell one with power and one without, It all bolted up just fine and I did it all in about 30 min. Good Luck
Does the Garmin motorcycle mount do the same thing as the HD mount cradle (p/n 91667-06)? If so is it less expensive? Or do I have to purchase that too along with the HD handlebar mounting kit?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
RoadKing52
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is the Garmin part number. By the way the HD mount comes with the audio cable. Part No: 010-10610-00
http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp...0%2D10610%2D00

Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Gmansitur
Advanced

Here is another option for you. I purchased the all black one before I saw this one. I think the chrome one looks MUCH better.
http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram/racb149.htm

Here is the black one:
http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-moun...ly/ramb149.htm

Old 07-26-2006, 03:41 PM
mcman
Cruiser

I have just about decided on a Quest2 myself. All this talk about this mount and that mount has my finite mind very confused. I don't want to drill any holes in my faring either. So what is the concensus of opinion on which is the best handlebar mount to use? Also what's the deal about having to get power to the unit. The Garmin website says "This waterproof unit also has a rechargeable internal lithium-ion battery that provides up to 20 hours of use. " Am I reading something wrong here? Doe this not mean the unit will operate off battery power for + - 20 hours??

Old 07-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Gmansitur
Advanced

I have the quest (basically the same thing as the 2, but with less internal memory). They do both have internal batteries that last about 12-16 hours (mine anyway). The only reason you need the audio cable and power cable option is if you want constant power (so you don’t need to worry about the battery) and if you want to use the external ear piece for the voice prompts. If all you’re doing is mounting it (with no power or external audio) then any cheap mount will work fine. If you want to use it with all the external options you will then need all the special mounts and cables. Does this make sense or did I confuse you more?

Quick Reply: Garmin Quest 2 Mounting Kit?