Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocate Tourpack antenna to Fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Relocate Tourpack antenna to Fairing?

I am converting my Electra Glide Classic Tourpack to a detachable version, so I can run a detachable backrest/luggage rack when the mood strikes me.

The dealer plans to snip off most of the antenna and relocate the antenna to inside the front fairing (I am leaving enough antenna on the pack to put a flag on). The dealer tells me that this works fine and does not affect the quality of the radio reception.

Has anyone installed the tourpack antenna relocation kit where the antenna was moved to inside the fairing? Did it affect your radio reception?

Some quick feedback would be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:17 AM
sporty12
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Relocate Tourpack antenna to Fairing?

ORIGINAL: Easyglide

The dealer plans to snip off most of the antenna and relocate the antenna to inside the front fairing (I am leaving enough antenna on the pack to put a flag on). The dealer tells me that this works fine and does not affect the quality of the radio reception.
Alvin,
I'm no electrical engineer by any stretch of a vivid imagination and some may say I'm talking out my a$$, and I may very well be. I've been called worse. But any hidden antenna that I have seen has received a power boost, not just cutting down a regular antenna. My opinion is that it wouldn't work too well. Take it for what it's worth.

Russ

Old 07-27-2006, 02:14 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

To be honest, cutting the antenna off and relocating it to the fairing is an idea I hadn't heard of before. There are several on this forum who have applied the same concept except the original antenna wasn't used. Instead they use a small amplified antenna which looks like an XM/Sirius receiver (signal booster) or 24" (approx.) of wire antenna taped to the inside of the fairing. The only thing I did to the antenna on my Ultra was cut it down a bit. When I removed my Tourpack (quick release) I just went without radio and listened to CD's instead. My neighbor who also rides an Ultra, relocated his antenna with the kit available through HD which mounts between the rear fender and the saddlebag. Looks nice and is out of the way.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:07 AM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of folks rave about the Tune Trapper hidden antenna .. Click Here to check it out. Just another option.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:54 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the tune trapper antenna mounted inside of the fairing,where i live it seems to work alright, i'm sure there's better and worse set ups.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:21 AM
rmacnh
Advanced

I too, have the Tune Trapper antenna inside my fairing. I first installled it on top of the radio and tied the ends to the wiring harness and receception was poor. I took it of and wire tied it to the inner fairing and receive great reception.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:07 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a Metra powered antenna from AutoZone for $20. I mounted it inside the fairing and it works great. I got rid of the CB antenna since I never use it.

You will loose a bit of reception when you get rid of the tall whips...........but it's well worth it for the looks factor.

Steve

Old 07-27-2006, 11:15 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If I were relocating to the fairing. I'd make it a power antenna frenched into the fairing. That would be really cool!

HA HA HA..............Gotcha!

Old 07-27-2006, 03:08 PM
screemnjay
Cruiser

My Tune Trapper works great in Los Angeles.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made a bracket and installed my original whip OUTSIDE the left saddlebag. When the pack is on, I clip it to the hinge to keep it steady.

Quick Reply: Relocate Tourpack antenna to Fairing?