Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failing Ignition Switch Symptom--'04 Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Failing Ignition Switch Symptom--'04 Electra Glide

I've had my bike since Feb. '05 and enjoyed 55K miles on it. Several weeks ago I noticed that after shutting off the engine using the "Run" switch, when I turned the ignition **** to "off," occasionally the radio would continue to play until I giggled the ****. This week-end, while doing some work on the bike (installing a Hog Tunes amp to power the fairing lower speakers, and installing '09 chromed clutch perch and master cylinder), I found that I had a short that blew the IGN fuse.

The short was in the ignition switch. Fortunately, my local HD store had the ignition switch in stock and it was an easy R&R. Remove outer fairing; remove fairing cap; remove two allen screws that secure the ignition switch (ball end allen); unplug the quick disconnect for the ignition switch harness below the radio; and, install the new ignition switch.

After installing the new ignition switch, I was surprised by how tight it is compared to my OEM switch after an unknown number of cycles over the past 5 years/55K miles.

So, if you have an older bike, and experiencing the same symptom now or in the future, you may be on the verge of a failed ignition switch leading to a short that renders the bike inoperable.

The new ignition switch lists for $70.

Carl

Edit: Before purchasing the new ignition switch, I checked to see if the wiring inside the switch was accessible and, to my untrained eye, the wiring wasn't. There are two screws to remove which reveals the mechanical parts inside the switch, but the wiring didn't appear to be accessible.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 02-22-2010 at 11:12 AM.