Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual Experience with Tsukayu Fairing?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
04 Fatboy 67
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think for the price, you would be better served going with a Woody's Fairing. I have corresponded with Glenn via email with several questions, to which he answered them all to my satisfaction. I haven't seen any negative comments about his fairings anywhere. I plan on ordering one once my bonus is here in two weeks.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I'm pretty sick of buying foreign crap. Heck, we're probably breathing Chinese air. No way I buy a Jap fairing.
I met Kevin of Dragonfly on a HOG cruise we took a few years ago and again in Myrtle Beach so if I ever buy one it will be his and it will be US made.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn W
good writeup, Boogaloodude. I'd only like to add that the Woody's pictured is a non-audio version for folks trying to figure out how the heck speakers & a radio would go in it The heavy roving is representative of all versions of my fairings though and I appreciate your pointing it out.
My best,
Glenn
(Woody)
Thanks, Glenn. I tried to find a picture of your inner fairing with stereo gear, just to make the comparisons as meaningful as possible, but I had to go with what I found last night.

Originally Posted by Flying Horse
Personally I'm pretty sick of buying foreign crap. Heck, we're probably breathing Chinese air. No way I buy a Jap fairing.
I met Kevin of Dragonfly on a HOG cruise we took a few years ago and again in Myrtle Beach so if I ever buy one it will be his and it will be US made.
I've never met Glenn, nor any of the other manufacturers, but I can say that Kevin (Dragonfly) is a straight-up guy that stands behind his merchandise. I've heard very postive things about Glenn from other forum members, and he is active here, which is helpful for folks trying to decide on what to buy.

Dragonfly is a local business to me, which is hugely helpful. However, even if they weren't, I would probably still go with their fairings. Seeing one in person, you can't help be impressed with the fit and finish, and seeing the inside of the inner fairing with the steel framework, seals the deal for me.

Last edited by Mike; 02-23-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:43 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cattivo
All things being equal, this company seems to have the best deal out there right now for a fairing with GPS. Complete right at $1500 shipped. Their web site also seems much more straight forward and use friendly than Dragonfly, which I am also considering.

So, question is, can anyone actually speak to the quality of the Tsukayu set up, materials, support, sound, etc?

Also, this is for a 2006 RK Custom with beach bars, any fitment issues? Thanks.
I bought one last winter because like you I was looking at price and a few people here had said they where good.
Well that was a very expensive mistake, it looked good out of the box but the 2 halves fit like crap together, they sent a paint ready unit with all the seals attached so you have to remove all the seals and glue to have it painted, I found that it took a couple of hours to get the 2 halves to fit properly together and you have to completely remove the stereo which by the way was completely installed with butt connectors that where not water proof.
The stereo was just soso, it wasn't loud enough to hear if you where riding unless you wanted to here disortion.
Here's the best part, the way it was designed when you rode the bike it would flop back and forth on the tiny little bolts that held it to the mounts and it squeaked so loud it about drove me nuts.
I took it off and sold after less than 100 miles and bought a WOODY'S. End if problem!!

Last edited by jag1886; 02-23-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the Woody's fairing. I was undecided on which one to buy and went with the plain fairing and about a month after I put it on, I realized that I should have bought the audio-ready fairing. Glen worked with me through a dozen or more e-mails over a few weeks (not to mention the e-mails that went on before I bought the first fairing) and I have to say he has the patience of a saint. I'll just say that he was extremely accomodating and we worked things out to both of our satisfaction. The fairing is not cheap plastic, it is a heavy duty fiberglass unit that looks like it would stand up over the long run. A quality piece all the way.

BTW, I'm upgrading to a Firecap stereo in another week so if anyone is interested in the entry level stereo and speakers I have in the fairing now, let me know. It's a Pyle head unit, no CD, but takes USB flash drives, SD flash cards and has a 3.5mm input on the front of the Am-FM weatherband unit. Sorry for the sales pitch.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Cattivo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all the positive feedback. After all that, I ended up ordering a Kuryakin Deluxe Audio fairing through my dealership here. I have a pretty good relationship with them, so they made it quite worth my while to buy it...though it was still a grip, and I get to help keep them open! What actually sealed the deal for me though, was the locking glovebox and the fact it has two 12v power points!

Once it comes in, I'll update with my impressions. Thanks again to everyone.

Last edited by Cattivo; 02-23-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:49 PM
JWilson
Cruiser

I have a Dragonfly due to arrive in a week. I am really looking forward to seeing the matching paint. I have no concerns about the quality of the fairing at all. What I question is my decision to go with the standard Dragonfly audio system. I have now heard mixed reviews. I'd love to hear some opinions and the best ways to improve the system if needed.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my Tsukayu while they were going by Firebagger. It was before wWoodies when the choices wer Dead Center, Hoppe, and Dragonfly. Price was a big concern and the Tsukayu was literally 1/2 the cost. I ordered unpainted stereo ready. I installed my own stereo, had it painted and installed on the bike. maybe I got lucky or maybe it was because it was an early model but the fit, finish, glasswork and overall quality was great. It was lockable, late model HD windshields fit and I am completely satisfied. ($.02)
Name:  HDfront.jpg
Views: 5135
Size:  34.8 KB

The following users liked this post:
Prodigal_Sun (09-24-2019)
Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's my Ebay fairing and I now have the radio speakers and everything fully installed. As boog...posted I am extremely happy.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:23 PM
johnsallat
6th Gear

I have not heard any talk about Hoppe's Quadzilla fairing. I have seen them and heard them and was very impressed. I was also told that the Dragonfly was open on the bottom while the Hoppe is completely sealed with fiberglass. I don't know about Woody's, but checked out his website and am impressed although I would rather go with the plug and play of the Hoppe or Dragonfly. There are so many variables that I am more confused now than ever. I had decided on the Hoppe, but have not seen inside and am impressed with the metal frame of the Dragonfly. ????? I plan on going to North shore Cycles in NY in a couple of weeks to look at the Hoppe again and maybe make it mine. Wish I had been on this forum along time ago, everyone is so helpfull. Thanks to all with info and inputs.....

John
05 RK police special
CT Rpmc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Actual Experience with Tsukayu Fairing?