Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual Experience with Tsukayu Fairing?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Cattivo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actual Experience with Tsukayu Fairing?

All things being equal, this company seems to have the best deal out there right now for a fairing with GPS. Complete right at $1500 shipped. Their web site also seems much more straight forward and use friendly than Dragonfly, which I am also considering.

So, question is, can anyone actually speak to the quality of the Tsukayu set up, materials, support, sound, etc?

Also, this is for a 2006 RK Custom with beach bars, any fitment issues? Thanks.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cattivo
All things being equal, this company seems to have the best deal out there right now for a fairing with GPS. Complete right at $1500 shipped. Their web site also seems much more straight forward and use friendly than Dragonfly, which I am also considering.

So, question is, can anyone actually speak to the quality of the Tsukayu set up, materials, support, sound, etc?
I do not have any experience with Tsukayu, so I'm not even going to attempt to specujlate on their quality. I do have a Dragonfly, and I can say, from experience, they have an extremely high quality product. They also stand behind their products, and will likely be here in years to come to support their customers.

I bought an older, used Dragonfly fairing from ebay. I took it back to the company for a repair to the mounting bracket, and for a repaint. There was a minor problem with the repair, and Kevin took it back without argument, and completely re-did the repair, which necessitated repainting the inner fairing at no additional cost to me. I expect to be getting my bike back tomorrow or the next day, and I'll post a report on the repair work, with pics.

I wanted a Dragonfly because I felt the inner fairing was the best looking one available today, but more importantly, they seemed more robust than any other aftermarket fairing on the market. Once the stereo gear is mounted, especially the speakers, there is a fair amount of weight being carried by the fairing brackets. If your fairing fails, it's likely going to be at the point where the mounting bracket attaches to the fairing.

Here is a Dragonfly. You can see how the mounting bracket extends upwards through the inner fairing, attaching at multiple points. This forms a very strong framework that supports the fairing, and virtually eliminates shaking and vibration.

here's a Deadcenter fairing, which also has a good reputation for quality. You can see that the inner bracing does not exist here, but the area around the bracket attachment points looks to be pretty stout.

Here's a Woody's, which also has a good reputation for quality. You can see the additional mat laid up at the bracket attachment points.

Finally, here's the ebay fairing that some members have reported problems with, although at least one forum member is very happy with his. My concern with this one is that it seems lightly constructed compared to the other ones, and I'd be worried that stress cracks around the mounting points would compromise my paint job in relatively short order.

If this were my fairing, I think I'd add some reinforcement to the inner fairing where the brackets bolt on. Similar to the Woody's fairing seen above. Kevlar cloth can be obtained from marine supply stores, and strengthening the inner fairing at the bracket attach points might save some heartache later. Alternatively, a steel backing plate could be added to the inside to spread the load out a bit.

I couldn't find a picture of the Tsukayu inner fairing to compare. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who owns one.

a Tsukayu 6x9 fairing, unpainted and without stereo is 830 dollars, shipping included. The Dragonfly fairing, also without stereo or paint, is 900 dollars, plus shipping.

Last edited by Mike; 02-25-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Cattivo
Cruiser

I have to say, your reply was very informative. It could only have been better if there was a picture of the Tsukaya. That being said, I will give Dragonfly another look. I'll probably call today.

I was looking to get a complete fairing just to be certain the componants meshed together well, and to have a "plug and play" type situation. With Dragonfy's website, it just seemed things started adding up quickly...and at great costs for the things which were inclded with Tsukaya. Thanks again for the insight!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Cattivo,
I have a buddy who is putting one on his Honda (yeah, I'm working on getting him to put his 'big boy pants on' and get a real bike LOL) here very soon.

The people at Tsukaya have been very easy to work with so far, according to my buddy. He sent them an email with some questions, and they responded within an hour. When he gets the fairing, I'll post more on 'my' impressions, etc.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boogaloodude, that was a great write up and very helpful on what your really paying for.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

...now thats what I call a helpfull freak'n response!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,094 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by gibby122
...now thats what I call a helpfull freak'n response!
Yeah, it was so good I really wish that I needed a new fairing!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
Yeah, it was so good I really wish that I needed a new fairing!
Well since you don't buy one for Cattivo, and everyone will be happy!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Cattivo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jimsflh
Well since you don't buy one for Cattivo, and everyone will be happy!
Yeah, there you go!

Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good writeup, Boogaloodude. I'd only like to add that the Woody's pictured is a non-audio version for folks trying to figure out how the heck speakers & a radio would go in it The heavy roving is representative of all versions of my fairings though and I appreciate your pointing it out.
My best,
Glenn
(Woody)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Actual Experience with Tsukayu Fairing?