Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust popping: 05 RK

Old 07-27-2006, 08:29 PM
docsouce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust popping: 05 RK

I have an 05 Road King Classic. Had the dealer install the stage 1 upgrade with S/E slip on's.
I'm happy with the set up but I find the thing really pops when it's decelerating. Sometimes it even pops when I let off to shift. The dealer says it is because of the fuel injection. I had them check it out last fall when I had the 10k mi check. Same answer,same popping. The bike runs perfectly except for that. Good power, gas mileage,starts, all good. Just wondering if this is common. Thanks

Dave

Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Branded
Road Master
Default RE: Exhaust popping: 05 RK

Dealer is feeding you a line of BS. You shouldn't have any popping unless its improperly tuned, could also be a exhaust leak.
Find someone else to look at you bike that knows what their doing.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:37 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Popping out the intake is usually lean or intake leak,injectors. Out the exh is rich.could be exhaust leak also

Old 07-28-2006, 12:03 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Yes it is common. Add on a RevTech DFO for about $165. Easy install and easy adjust. The popping will go away and you will notice a big difference all around.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Johnmjon
6th Gear

I had the same problem with my 06 ultra after stage one and v &c slips ons were added by Harley. They said it was normal I thought the popping esp on decel was horrible. Had another shop install the dfo and a big sucker air filter. Got rid of almost all the poping and bike runs and sounds great.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:17 AM
lowleveldriver
Tourer

Check that the Slip on are on good. It sounds like you have a exhust leak.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 AM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding a DFO unit took care of my decel pop. I adjusted the first pot (idle) to the rich side and the pop was gone. The other pots are at manufactures suggested settings for my set up. The throttle response is much better now also. I did loose about 8% to 10% fuel economy, but the power gains and lack off popping were well worth it. Tuning with a DFO is a breeze...no dyno or laptop reuired.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:22 PM
jd_underdog
Road Captain

ok so what the hell is a dfo? i have a pc III on my bike what will the dfo do for me?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:58 PM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's another fuel management system...similiar to your PC111. It's cheaper, simplier to install and tweak. It's also a load based system (not rpm based).

To answer you question "what will the dfo do for me?"...nothing, you already have chosen a PC for fuel management.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had same prob with my hookers and dynojet using their exact map, talked to the tech at dynojet and learned that poping on decell is caused by a lean condition as you let of the throtle because most maps shut off fuel delivery as the bike gets to about 2500 rpm and lower with the throtle closed this leans out as the free flow muffs suck out the exhaust, he showed me how to fix it on a PCIII you just open the program and add 20% to all the first row of values that have 0% in them, poping went away, but you dont have that option with the hd download

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust popping: 05 RK