Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard Road King vs. Police Road King

Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
josemontesjr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Road King vs. Police Road King

1. Facts; Shopping for a 09 or 10 Standard Road King for several reasons, affordability, hard shell saddle bags.

2. Facts; 10 Road King Police came up for sale as a possible bike.

3. Questions: Can the seat on the Police be changed for the seat on the Standard? Luggage Rack? Sissy Bar? Driver back rest? etc.

4. Questions: Looking at 2010 models, which MSRP is higher from the two?

5. Main Question: Is $15,900 with 38 miles a good deal for a 2010 Police?

6. Goal: Tour with my wife on a Road King Standard, but the Police has a larger engine; convert the Police to a Standard.

7. Please advise and thank you for your time.

Jose

Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 PM
BlackKing05
Stage III
Default Police or Standard RK

3. Can't speak specifically to a 2010 but my 2005 FLHPI became two up with a pilon from Mustang Seat, sissy bar from HD with a back cushion from Mustang. Luggage rack from HD. Docking kits are required for both SB and LR. No problem. You can use the police seat and just add the other stuff. Don't be too quick to give up the police seat and air shock system. It is comfortable. Mustang also has a replacement for the seat that retains the air shock. If the 2010 is equipped with run flat tires like in 2005 they are not rated for two up. I am using them anyway and expect quicker wear. They make it sound like a safety issue. I'm not sure if it really is for persons of average weight. Heavier? I would check into this issue more.

Use this forum and search for posts related to Police Bikes. There are lots of them.

I just added a Harley cruise control to my 2005 using a wiring harness made by Curisemount and it works really well. Police bikes have a completely different wiring harness to accommodate the amplifier for the siren, PA system, pursuit flasher, pole light and radio pack. The handle bar switches are different for the same reason and have some red switches to operate the other stuff.

The hard saddle bags on the FLHP open with a hockey puck shaped *** and are hinged on the outside. I like them because they lock securely and can be opened (when not locked) from the seat.

4&5. The price is up to you. I can't see how any damage could result in 38 miles but generally a police bike can be used pretty hard from what I have heard. For what sounds like a new bike the price doesn't sound bad as long as there is no obvious damage. The additional stuff you need to add can be priced in the Harley catalog and on line and at Mustang's web page. Compare the cost each way. The extra stuff can add up.

6. If you have the wife on board then the rest will be easy. Good luck and have fun! You will either way.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
gman116
Advanced

Very easy to "civilianize" the Police Road King. The MSRP for a new one should be in the mid 14k range. This is the price they sell to the police agencies for. Some dealerships offer this same price when they sell them to civilians (usually after it's kept for 6 months as a "demo" model), but I've noticed a lot of dealerships jack the price. Do a search for police vs. civilian models. There are many threads on the differeences between the two. I've owned an 02 Police Road king and am now getting a 10 Police Electra Glide. Great bikes!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 PM
AZ Road King
Novice

I bought a 2010 standard Road King, Sun Glo red. Nicest ride I have ever had.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

For the most part, anything that fits on a regular RK will fit on a RK police. I dumped the air ride seat for a Corbin.

I love mine. I put civilian bags, changed the tins and added a Dragonfly fairing to mine, and you'd never know it was formerly a Sheriff's dept bike. The 103/six speed is a wonderful combination.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:19 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
For the most part, anything that fits on a regular RK will fit on a RK police. I dumped the air ride seat for a Corbin.

I love mine. I put civilian bags, changed the tins and added a Dragonfly fairing to mine, and you'd never know it was formerly a Sheriff's dept bike. The 103/six speed is a wonderful combination.

That's a sweet looking scoot. Sorry OP I have nothing more to add than make the best deal you can. The RK is an awesome bike and although not a police model I love mine!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Some of the police bikes I've seen even have a reverse gear. That's a pretty nice bonus.

I know a lot of hard core guys will give me crap for that but hey, when your older maybe have a bum knee, sore foot, or just get lazy that comes in handy.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by josemontesjr
1. Facts; Shopping for a 09 or 10 Standard Road King for several reasons, affordability, hard shell saddle bags.

2. Facts; 10 Road King Police came up for sale as a possible bike.

3. Questions: Can the seat on the Police be changed for the seat on the Standard? Yes, but you will need to remove the air ride seat and its associated components, e.g. air bladder under the seat. Luggage Rack? Yes. Sissy Bar? Yes. Driver back rest? Yes. etc. The luggage rack and rider backrest will require the removal of the bracket on the rear that would otherwise support the police radio/electronics box.

4. Questions: Looking at 2010 models, which MSRP is higher from the two? The police model is typically $3K or so below the civilian model; probably because HD dealers must bid for sales to police agencies.

5. Main Question: Is $15,900 with 38 miles a good deal for a 2010 Police?
"Good deal" is, in part, relative to the cost of a civilian RK Standard. You will probably need to add passenger floorboards/pegs since police bikes don't come with those. Some dealers will swap out the air ride seat for a two-up civilian seat and install the passenger floorboards (usually using take-off parts) to promote the sale of the police models.
6. Goal: Tour with my wife on a Road King Standard, but the Police has a larger engine; convert the Police to a Standard.

7. Please advise and thank you for your time.

Jose
It's pretty easy to "civilianize" a police RK. The handlebar switches are pretty simple to change, though a service manual (it will have wiring diagrams) is necessary unless you can get the information elsewhere.

Good luck with your research and purchase.

Carl

Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
It's pretty easy to "civilianize" a police RK. The handlebar switches are pretty simple to change, though a service manual (it will have wiring diagrams) is necessary unless you can get the information elsewhere.

Good luck with your research and purchase.

Carl
What would be the reasons to change the switches, I know there is a siren switch and probably police lights but what is missing that would be on a civilian model that you need to add ? Also doesn't the 09 have a manual switch to cut out the rear cylinder for parade work?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 PM
jrat69
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 2012 for less than that with 2 miles on it back in February. Changed the switches and added Cruse, You wouldn't know it was a police unless you know the Hockey Pucks on the saddle bags. It's easy to change out the seat, The air ride solo was a little too high for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Standard Road King vs. Police Road King